Which First Level Adventure for Beginners/Returning Lapsed Adults

Shiroiken

Legend
Beginners set - Lost Mine of Phandelver
A surprisingly excellent adventure. I've used it on multiple occasions to introduce players to 5E, including 3E players, 4E players, and total newbs.

Assuming you don't want to run this one, I'd suggest something simple, such as Keep on the Borderlands (which was partially reprinted for the playtest, if you can find it), Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1E), or the Secret of Bone Hill (1E). Death House (from Curse of Strahd) is also pretty good for a one-shot. Ghost of Dragonspear Castle (from the end of the playtest) is pretty good, but requires jumping levels to complete (4 adventures take characters from level 1-10).

JeffB

Legend
Phandelver is excellent.

The Rising Knight/Assault on Blacktooth Ridge from TLG (massive bang for buck between the two).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I will give the umpteenth vote for Lost Mines of Phandelver.

A friend of mine wanted to introduce his 13-year-old daughter to RPGs. But playing in a game your own dad runs has a weird dynamic, and is kinda lame. So he asked me to run a game for her, and I used Lost Mine of Phandelver for her, her dad, a friend of hers, and my wife.

She found it all entertaining and interesting enough that she wanted to run a game herself, for her friends.

I can think of no better accolade for an adventure than, "So good, it makes people want to run their own games." :)

Reynard

Legend
Yeah, at this point I am leaning heavily toward Lost Mines. it really is great, and I have run it multiple times before. As such I was looking for a great alternative -- the only one of which i could think of was Sunless Citadel, but I happen to be running that right now as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok back form out back.

Some good recommendations with LMoP and the Sunless Citadel but there are a couple of problems IMHO. Mostly you asked for a level 1 adventure, those are larger adventures that woill gain you several levels.

Some actual level 1 adventures, and why I asked you about being able to print out PDFs.

On the DMGuild

Temple of the Nightbringers

A short (11 page) adventure for level 1 in an old temple of Shar. Part 1 of the Triboar trilogy (Terror at Triboar and Shadows on the Long Road would be the others). Has an interesting magic item for short rest characters.

And Elsewhere

Quests of Doom 2,

Has 2 level 1 adventures including "1976" an adventure modeled on ye olde D&D adventures. You can get the Quests of Doom books at the Frog Gods store on their site. The other 4 adventures are 5th level.

And

The Rising Knight and Assault At Blacktooth Ridge.

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge is adapted from Castles and Crusades but iut is sort of a mini campaign setting similar to LMoP where it has a well detailed starting town and probably a similar level range. Its a bit like the old T1 Village of Homlett crossed with Caves of Chaos. There is a bit of wilderness to explore and Blacktooth Ridge has several dungeons to explore. They have converted several of th C&C A series to 5E.

https://www.rpgnow.com/product/1698...for-5th-Edition-Rules?hot60=0&src=slider_view

Last edited:

Remove ads