Which game has your favorite magic system?

ichabod

Legned
I really like Rolemaster's Spell Law system with its multiple sources of magic power (Essence, Channeling, and Mentalism), as well as its very specific spell lists. You can customize the hell out of a magic-using character under this system (there are pure spell users, hybrid spell users, and semi-spell users).
Yeah, but you have to be careful with it. I had a GM in Rolemaster who let spell casters rest to regain spell points whenever they wanted to. Without that resource constraint, there was absolutely no point in playing a non-caster because they were totally outclassed.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yeah, but you have to be careful with it. I had a GM in Rolemaster who let spell casters rest to regain spell points whenever they wanted to. Without that resource constraint, there was absolutely no point in playing a non-caster because they were totally outclassed.

That's totally a GM issue, IMO. The equivalent would be a 5e DM allowing characters to take long rests whenever they wanted to.

I really like Rolemaster's Spell Law system with its multiple sources of magic power (Essence, Channeling, and Mentalism), as well as its very specific spell lists. You can customize the hell out of a magic-using character under this system (there are pure spell users, hybrid spell users, and semi-spell users).
I haven't played Rolemaster in forever, but I liked the spell lists. I remember people getting corrupted and getting access to new lists. One of the PCs had robes that were white/blue - if he wore the white out, he got bonuses to one set of spell lists, if he wore the blue side out he was super dominant in lightning. I was playing an outcast paladin who basically could do good and war type spells where the 'true paladins' only could use Law magic.

A good variety in the system for sure

aramis erak

Legend
I've been thinking on this... and have realized I can't pick a favorite...
I can list a few I think really fit their genre well...

WEG Star Wars - the Force - as presented in 1E+Rules Companion, and carried on into 2e. It's a great fit to the original trilogy and the very limited pre-WEG expanded universe. (most of the 90's SWEU stuff was referencing WEG's game...)

Ars Magica - VERY much thematic, especially with the aura/regio interactions.

The One Ring 1e - the very subtle magics of items, and Elven and Dwarven magics...

DUNE - the way Other Memory and Prana-Bindu are set up, they flow well in the mechanics and are very useful in play, while not taking long resolution times.

Talisman Adventures - the spells being stable is a step away from Talisman itself, but works really well in play - a good mix of the spells existing in the source and being gamified in the RPG to feel right despite the changes.

D&D Cyclopedia/BECM ... If I'm doing "Vancian," this is the edition I want to use. Not too many spells. they are thematic for the KTAaTTS Dungeon Fantasy. It does have Quadratic Wizard/Linear Fighter issues.... but that's part of the charm.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The old PrinceCon system was well ahead of it's time. This was back in the 80s and 90s, and was based off of early editions of D&D homebrewed into a whole new system, and then rewritten to be a dedicated ruleset. Arcane casting had two parts - a spell list, and morphic spells. Morphic spells were more expensive but very flexible. Want to turn the wood of your ship to be iron hard? Control the weather? Morphic spell. There were a number of categories of change, and guidance about size and such. The spell list had something the incorporated metamagic and upcasting. You could increase things like range, effect, damage, targets/area, and other variables.

Divine casting was a bit different, because both the available spell lists and various modifiers varied completely by your god. Much more diverse from 5e where the base spelllist is set and you can prepare from anywhere on it each day.

Both had a number of spell points based on their spellcasting ability score, and based on character level there was a chart for how much each level of spell cost, broken down to half levels. So a 5th level character casting a 2.5th level spell might be 4 SP. Always on a curve, so at higher levels you could bump up a 1st level spell fairly cheaply, but your highest level spells could be 8 SP or 13SP out of your say 15-18 per day. Oh, and this was before cantrips got introduced to D&D.

All of that said, it was a fairly crunchy system to use well. Spell points were fairly limited, and knowing your options, including morphic spells, and how much to use for cool things out of combat (XP was not combat-based even back then) vs. you were pretty weak without SP in combat, and it took some thinking to play well and quickly.

Remove ads