• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Grammar book to get?

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Hello all,

I will be editing my brother's first foray into pdf adventure design and was wondering which of the following books to get. My needs are that I want a book to give clear explanations and help to better writing skills. The choices are as follows:

The Chicago Manual of Style: The Essential Guide for Writers, Editors and Publishers (15th Edition) ISBN 0226103897

The Complete Idiots Guide to Grammar and Style
ISBN 0028619560

English Grammar for Dummies
ISBN 0764553224

A Grammar Book for You and I (Oops, Me): All the Grammar You Need to Succeed in Life ISBN 1892123231

From my looking on the web these seem to be the best. If there are others that are readily available and you would recommend please let me know.

Thanks,

Son of Thunder

arwink

Clockwork Golem
The Elements of Style - Strunk and White (from memory. I know the first name is correct).

It appears to be one of the difinitive books on the subject.

Myris

First Post
The Chicago Manual of Style would be an excellent choice, and is the choice grammar book for many publishing companies. The Elements of Style is also excellent, and is the "classic" grammar book. Good luck!

Last edited:

Papewaio

First Post
The Chicago Manual of Style is a must-have for any editing job in English.

It never hurts having some extra references, of course :)

Papewaio

Axegrrl

First Post
First pick: Strunk and White. It has the advantage of being short compared to most other books of the type: you're much more likely to actually read the whole thing. It has the additional advantage of being cheaper than most of the bigger books, and you're more likely to find a copy of it in a used bookstore.

Second pick: Chicago Manual of Style.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Agreed with Axegrrl.

#1: Strunk and White

#2: Chicago Manual of Style

I run a technical writing department. That's our policy, right there. If it's not covered in Strunk and White, refer to Chicago. If it's not in Chicago, you're doing something seriously wrong.

Remove ads