D&D 5E Which is a better bladesinger?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
high elf will be this characters race
27 point buy
level 4 start
expect game to end level 9/10

Option 1: rogue 1/bladesinger 3 (small damage boost with sneak attack, expertise in 2 skills, extra skills)

Option 2: fighter 1/bladesinger 3 (dueling or defense style? Lots more HP, CON saving throw proficiency)

Option 3: bladesinger 4 (best spell progression, melee damage isn't really as impressive)

I'm thinking of starting 8/16/14/16/12/8 for stats.

Do I prioritize DEX or INT with ASI's? Are there any feats I need?

I'd go pure bladesinger. Bladesong, Intelligence, and the wizard spell list will give you more than enough defense, offense, and you'll rarely fail concentration saves. I'd suggest Intelligence boost at level 4. Feats are fun but I wouldn't call any of them necessary. At level 8 you could go Intelligence, Dexterity, or a feat and be happy with whatever you chose.

Just remember that you're still more caster than martial, even with this subclass. Plan on mixing spells and melee attacks.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Each of the first 5 levels of fighter are excellent, so it’s hard to argue with going that way.

However, it depends on how much you want to be a Spellcaster, vs a character that casts spells sometimes.

delph

Explorer
If you have allowed Elven Accuracy take pure Bladesinger with it. And you can have starting dex or int odd.

Each of the first 5 levels of fighter are excellent, so it’s hard to argue with going that way.

However, it depends on how much you want to be a Spellcaster, vs a character that casts spells sometimes.
Figuring out what balance of spellcaster vs martial you want is important. My suggestion of pure bladesinger doesn't make as much sense if you really want to lean into melee all the time. You'd still be more than viable but probably not as good as someone who multiclasses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Figuring out what balance of spellcaster vs martial you want is important. My suggestion of pure bladesinger doesn't make as much sense if you really want to lean into melee all the time. You'd still be more than viable but probably not as good as someone who multiclasses.
Yeah, exactly.

Another option that loses less of the Spellcasting and gains a lot of cool toys is Battlesmith Artificer. Also makes the build not need to boost Dex after CharGen, which is nice.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Just remember that you're still more caster than martial, even with this subclass. Plan on mixing spells and melee attacks.
This is kind of my issue. I do want to be somewhat of a presence in combat; maybe not quite on par with a fighter, but a force to be feared.

Am I getting this by starting fighter I keep reading bladesingers hardly ever get hit anyway, so I’m thinking dueling fighting style is better than defense for me.

I don’t know; and I suppose that is a nod to how good this system really is. There are definite pros and cons to going either way.

This is kind of my issue. I do want to be somewhat of a presence in combat; maybe not quite on par with a fighter, but a force to be feared.

Am I getting this by starting fighter I keep reading bladesingers hardly ever get hit anyway, so I’m thinking dueling fighting style is better than defense for me.

I don’t know; and I suppose that is a nod to how good this system really is. There are definite pros and cons to going either way.
Definitely dueling over defense. Bladesong and Shield give you all the AC you'll need.

auburn2

Adventurer
IMO Bladesinger 4 is best. Of the other two others fighter is better than rogue IMO. Rogue and bladesinger don't really gel very well IMO. You give up SA dice to get wizard levels and the rogue doesn't really need the insane AC because she can disengage as a bonus action. The bladesinger doesn't need cunning action because she has a high enough AC to stay in melee and if she stays in melee she usually can't use dash or hide as a BA very much.

The thing with bladesinger is you want the spell slots because you are going to use them on shield, and you want to still have some spells left for offense and at 10th level for song of defense. As such, Bladesinger is the one class that I do not think benefits from a dip.

As far as stats I would take 17 Dex, 13 Constitution and then take resilient-Constitution at 4th level and Resilient-Dexterity at 8th level. If you get to 12th level I would take an int ASI there. I like having the constitution save for the rare occasions you get damaged (usually by a spell) and I like having the dex save because save spells or cantrips are generally the best way to attack the bladesinger. I would also take proficiency in acrobatics. If you can't target a bladesinger with save spells, the next best way is often by grappling or shoving because her insane AC does not apply to those. A badesinger gets advantage on acrobatics checks while in bladesong and if you take proficiency in that it pretty much closes grappling and shoving as a viable option for enemies.

If you really want to take a dip I would take a full caster to get the slots. I have never done it myself but a sword bard might be a good combo for 3 or 4 levels. That would give you dueling fighting style and flourish which I suppose you could combine with bladesong without giving up any spell slots. With a high-elf point buy that would be something like: S8 D17 C12 I16 W8 Ch13

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases