• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is Cooler, Yakfolk or Abeil?

Which one is Cooler

• Abeil

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Yakfolk

Votes: 117 81.8%

darthkilmor

First Post
I'm playing a yak-folk sorc1/monk4 right now. Very much cool. Body control would be neater if I could find a giant to take over though!! Enlarge + grapplin' is nice too, like +27 grapple checks, would be even more awesomer with giant-type stength bonuses.

And they're kind of like doppleganger-lite with the body takeover, and its a totally wicked way to interrogate something. "aha! ok got it all!" And their summoned genies can plane shift too, so there's no reason to restrict them to the prime material.

Graf

Explorer
Uh... One of them has neat flavor and cool powers.

Yakfolk (or Yakmen as they were once called) actually have roleplaying potential. They're social structure, etc. isn't really related to being Yak-like.
Bee-people are just insect-furries.

Imruphel

First Post
No contest!

I voted yakfolk. There was a good article on the yikaria (I think this is what they were called) in one of the 2E Dragon magazines. It highlighted their potential as long-term campaign foes.

Immak Antunel

First Post
(WARNING: potential oversimplification in progress!)

hmmm... wannabe formians with wings, or evil magical horned monsters with slaves, staves, genies, and pretend shangri-las... tough question.

Or not. Yak-folk win.

William Ronald

Explorer
Immak Antunel said:
(WARNING: potential oversimplification in progress!)

hmmm... wannabe formians with wings, or evil magical horned monsters with slaves, staves, genies, and pretend shangri-las... tough question.

Or not. Yak-folk win.

I concur, as villains which you can use over the long haul are better than one shot opponents. (I am trying to recall if there is a mythological or cultural basis for the yak men, but they would work well for many different sorts of cultural settings such as an Indian setting.)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
looks like the yakmen way win.

for those who don't know: they were originally part of the Al Qadim setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads