D&D 5E Which monsters would a lone 20th level character struggle to defeat?

Mercurius

Legend
Haven't played that high, so have a hard time getting a handle on it. Which monsters would be the hardest to defeat and/or have better than even odds against a decked out 20th level character (any class)? Just curious.

I know the official ruling on CR, but just curious about where the rubber meets the road with actual monsters.

lhx

Explorer
Lots of monsters. Theoretically a CR20 monster is a fight for 4 level 20s. Although action economy doesn’t make that white true.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It depends a lot on the creature and the PC, but in general anything CR 17 (or so, maybe as low as 15?) should be a struggle for a single PC according to the design of 5E.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Oh, sorry. Then none. We've never played until level 20 (yet, that is! ;) ).

I wasn't clear. I was less wanting a clarification on the rules, and more how it would actually play out at the game table - and speculation is fine. For instance, how would a 20th level paladin fare against a Balor (CR 19)?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I wasn't clear. I was less wanting a clarification on the rules, and more how it would actually play out at the game table - and speculation is fine. For instance, how would a 20th level paladin fare against a Balor (CR 19)?
That's fine. The problem with speculation though it that how a player and DM run the creatures, what the campaign is like (low magic, high magic, etc.) all play too big of a part IMO. For example, a level 20 wizard could defeat the tarrasque single-handed, but would have a much harder time (depending on the build, of course, as a bladesinger could do well...) against a rakshaha.

Anecdotal evidence is probably better, but even then there are so many variables... shrug

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases