D&D 1E Which NEW class from a Dragon Magazine did you play or allow ?

Had a whole party of Dragon Magazine Ninjas (we were a clan), for the brand new module, our DM just bought: Ravenloft.

One Red Dragon Flambé TPK later.....no Ninjas.

So many NPC classes were used:

Elven Cavalier.
Barbarian Cleric....(was pretty fun)
Beastmaster (super OP)
Berserker
Jester...(wasn’t there several versions, beyond Roger Moore’s?)
Deathmaster (super fun)
Duelist
Thief-Acrobat
Dreamer (quite a few played actually)
Smith (just did not work as a PC)
Psionicist
Bandit.

No Anti-Paladins, though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Most all of them.
bandit
Bounty hunter
Witch
Death master
Revised monk
Ninja
Duelist
Even Neanderthal

but I did NOT allow anti paladin or archer. The dumb NPC classes like jester were never played.

drl2

Explorer
The only one I actually had a chance to try was their re-imagining of the Bard as a viable class on its own rather than the original high-level multi-classed monstrosity from the appendix of the PHB. Don't remember much about it though, as the campaign fizzled out after just a few sessions.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I need to brush up on my AD&D 1E/2E-isms, but wasn't that a thing for NPCs though? I seem to recall that, when they participated in battle alongside PCs, they were supposed to receive a cut of the XP also, gaining levels periodically, etc. It wasn't something the DM was just supposed to hand-wave, once they were part of the party, at least according to the rulebooks, and that's why those NPC classes had their own XP tables.

Not really. Henchmen/Retainers had XP progressions, but they aren't typical NPC's, but secondary player characters, and can take over as a primary pc as needed or desired by the player. So if a class isn't allowed as a PC, they're not allowed to be a henchman.

Remove ads