D&D 5E Which Non-Classic/Magic Settings Would You like to see WotC Publish?

Undrave

Legend
Speaking of which...

View attachment 136901
... would still like to see this.
YES! I was just thinking of that myself. I think it would be perfect as a D&D setting! Heck, we already have rules for vehicles in Avernus!

I could imagine them making RPGs using the D&D 5e engine for other product lines owned by Hasbro, like G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Power Rangers.

It's not what I would want, but I could see them doing it.

As far as fantasy settings are concerned, I also agree with the OP that something alone the lines of Council of Wyrms is not only possible, but likely. Could tap into the current popularity of both Kaiju and superhero movies.
They got a third party (I want to say Renegade Studios is the name?) working on a Transformers RPG (they also got a Deck Building game on the way). I think they're supposed to do other Hasbroverse properties.

Laurefindel

Legend
Gaslamp Romance

YES!

our present game is a girl genius campaign in Eberron. I contemplated advancing the timeline 100-200 years toward a Franco-Prussian wars aesthetics, but decided to forward only 15 years (day of mourning = disappearance of the other) and stay true(er) to the setting.

but a complete gas lamp fantasy setting would be awesome!

Last edited:

Jaeger

That someone better
1. Warhammer Fantasy (... the Old World ...)
Yes, I know they have their own TTRPG and probably would never do this. Yet despite being competitors, Magic the Gathering is partnering with Games Workshop to make Warhammer 40,000 cards. So, the two companies seem capable of working together even in today's competitive time; a remote possibility that they would partner on an official 5E book release.
I really like this idea. Which of course ensures that it will never happen. But I'm pretty safe in saying that it wouldn't anyway.

I'm sure it wouldn't be truly "5e compatible" if I were in charge of it though. I'd essentially take the concept of Ten Dead Rats:
www.paulsgameblog.com/ten-dead-rats/
www.paulsgameblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/tendeadrats-charsheet.pdf

And expand on the concept using the basic 5e mechanics and WHFRP 2e as a guide. Stealing and converting the good bits off of 4e & 1e; to make a d20 roll-high version of WHFRP!

(I'd still put that "5e compatible" logo on the cover though!)

This is one game engine conversion that I can actually see outselling the 'official' percentile system. Yes it would only be quasi-5e compatible, but the basic mechanics of it would be very familiar and it would have a much less perceived learning curve for D&D players to give it a shot.

In the fantasy world that something like that would actually happen; I can already hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from WHFRP grognardia...

GreyLord

Legend
Well, another more comprehensive Magic the Gathering combination sourcebook with D&D is a possibility.

Oh...we are going off bonkers off the rail here with our suggestions instead?

"Masters of the Universe" campaign/module of 5e D&D.

That or a new iteration (though more likely a 3rd party off of the SRD instead) of Wheel of Time when the new series (a new series is coming out...right?) comes out for TV.

Who is the owner of Thundar the Barbarian? I think "Pirates of the Dark Waters" would be easier to be adapted into a D&D by setting, or maybe some partnership deal.

Legend of the Five Rings d20? If it was possible in the past, we can't say it to be impossible again. Maybe it is only my speculation, but I am open-minded about something could happen in a future and we can't know yet. They are only my conjectures, but it is strange a great silence about certain threads, as if something was being "cooking" behind the curtains.

Gamma World is closer to be published than Star-Frontiers/Star*Drive/d20 Alternity, or that new IP videogame by Archetype Entertaiment. Maybe Icewind Dale: Dark Alliance the next project by Torque Studio could be linked to Gamma World.

I guess Hasbro would rather to develope their own IPs with total creative freedom, but if a franchise is very famous and popular. I guess Hasbro has noticed IPs can become valious cash-cow with the right Hollywood production or videogame to be promoted, earning with other merchandicing products. This means Hasbro could acquire more companies in the future, and with this more franchises ready to be adapted into d20 system.

Other possibility is a d20 Modern 2.0. designed not for the tabletop only, but for CPRGs based in other videogames franchises, beat'em or shooters. This would allow something like a Batman vs Snake Eyes(G.I.Joe), Lara Croft vs Chun-li or a Ghostbusters vs Terminators.

Remove ads