D&D 5E Which Non-Classic/Magic Settings Would You like to see WotC Publish?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
name those styles of play and settings.

then list how difficult it would be to update them to not be incompatible with modern taste.

then list the setting unique selling points.

Geez, you're demanding huh? The first and last thing you said are essentially the same things.

• Dark Sun: Post-apocalyptic, dark fantasy, sword and sorcery (sandals?), fight against tyranny.
  • To update: Add more psionic options, few more racial options. Minimize slavery in society, update things like "boob armor."

I'm not going to go through every setting I think has unique selling points, but I think people here could make good arguments for Planescape, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Mystara and Birthright (maybe even Greyhawk).

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Geez, you're demanding huh? The first and last thing you said are essentially the same things.

• Dark Sun: Post-apocalyptic, dark fantasy, sword and sorcery (sandals?), fight against tyranny.
  • To update: Add more psionic options, few more racial options. Minimize slavery in society, update things like "boob armor."

I'm not going to go through every setting I think has unique selling points, but I think people here could make good arguments for Planescape, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Mystara and Birthright (maybe even Greyhawk).
that is not a style of play that is an aesthetic and a new class.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a Mystara fan and I have a hard time advocating for it for 5E. The best of the settings are pretty generic (Karameikos is great, but it doesn't do anything substantially different than the Dale Lands, for instance). The various ethnic enclaves range from good to pretty bad and would all need a very careful eye in the updating process. There's a few kingdoms that might work -- Glantri does something we haven't seen so far in 5E -- but I don't know that people would view a single-kingdom setting as being the equivalent of a Mystara update.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
that is not a style of play that is an aesthetic and a new class.

I disagree.

Funny enough, when I google "Style of Play," the first result I got was for Aristotle;

There are four basic theatrical forms either defined, implied, or derived by or from Aristotle: Tragedy; Comedy; Melodrama; and Drama. Any number of styles can be used to convey these forms. A good working definition of, "Style", is how something is done.

You're always playing D&D, but the change of an aesthetic can have a big impact on the PCs and make them have a very different style of play.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Asking people to enumerate a setting's good points, then quibbling their answer and asking them to do it again when the answer doesn't quite satisfy you is not going to shortcut anything.
this conversation has been had many times I want to get to the heart of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases