• COMING SOON! -- The Awfully Cheerful Engine on Kickstarter! An action comedy RPG inspired by cheerful tabletop games of the 80s! With a foreword by Sandy 'Ghostbusters' Petersen, and VTT support!

Which non-Star Wars or non-Star Trek Sci-Fi RPG do you currently play?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
That sounds amazing. When is release?
Apparently they are waiting for the final ok for the final version from MGM (the licenser) and are set to release the pdf version as soon as they get it. The physical books will take a few months after that.

Tantavalist

Villager
Most recently, our group has discovered the revised edition of Stars Without Number and started playing a campaign of that. We're doing the classic Traveller-esque Free Trader game. A very good system, and a rare chance for me to be a player rather than a forever GM.

MarkB

Legend
I'm currently trying the Dark Matter science fantasy setting for D&D 5e, and I have the new Stargate system on order. I've previously run a couple of short campaigns of Scum & Villainy, one of which was Star Wars flavoured while the other used the system's own setting.

Nothing active at the moment, but we played a mini-campaign of the Alien RPG a little while back, and we may pick that back up.

I'm also working on a Mothership campaign as my group's next game when our current one ends.

Campbell

Legend
Playing in an Infinity game that just got off the ground. We're playing a group of mercenaries with ties to the Dawn Rebellion. So far the game has a strong Altered Carbon and Bourne Identity vibe. The way Momentum works in play has really helped give the game a thriller / action movie vibe.

Infinity has really strong character setup procedures. The lifepath based character creation really does an excellent job of creating characters that feel like people who have lived actual lives. It's really helped add to the spy thriller / noir feel of play so far.

Might start running 2d20 Dune sometime in the next month.

TwiceBorn2

Explorer
Nothing at the moment, but one day I would like to try running Dark Heresy (FFG 1st ed), a Mutant Year Zero/Gamma World mash-up, an Alien mini campaign, and perhaps Rogue Trader or Only War.

I own products from all of those lines, but haven't done anything with them... yet.

Marc_C

Solo Role Playing
Playing in an Infinity game that just got off the ground. We're playing a group of mercenaries with ties to the Dawn Rebellion. So far the game has a strong Altered Carbon and Bourne Identity vibe. The way Momentum works in play has really helped give the game a thriller / action movie vibe.

Infinity has really strong character setup procedures. The lifepath based character creation really does an excellent job of creating characters that feel like people who have lived actual lives. It's really helped add to the spy thriller / noir feel of play so far.

I play the Infinity miniature game but never played the RPG. The setting is interesting. Very different than the grim dark setting of 40K.

Ulfgeir

Adventurer
We just took a break from the Mindjammer-campaign, and had what was supposed to be a one-shot in a FATE Core setting where we played scientist at a space station near a wormhole and a straneg anomaly. There was a planned (from the GM's point-of-view) TPK there and we were left last time we played with that we should now remake those characters with the Wearing the Cape-rules (in the same setting)

Last edited:

ART!

Hero
Stellar Adventures and John Carter of Mars (that may be arguably considered sci-fi).
JCoM is something I very much want to play or run, but I'd have to carefully figure out how to sell my group on it.

That sounds very cool.
[downloads quickstart]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
JCoM is something I very much want to play or run, but I'd have to carefully figure out how to sell my group on it.
Ditto. I’m the only Barsoom fan in my circle of geeks, so getting the others excited for it would be next to impossible.

ART!

Hero
Ditto. I’m the only Barsoom fan in my circle of geeks, so getting the others excited for it would be next to impossible.
I think for me it would require making it Barsoom et al with the serial numbers filed off. So, I'm thinking generic sandbox-y sword-and-planet.

In which case I maybe might as well just use 5E. Which is not a terrible thing.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4