D&D 5E Which of these settings do you want to see for D&D Next?

Which of these settings should be supported by 5E?

• A brand new setting

Votes: 100 48.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 45 21.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 104 50.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 53 25.6%
  • Eberron

Votes: 88 42.5%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 92 44.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 115 55.6%
  • Mystara

Votes: 53 25.6%
  • Nerath (Nentir Vale)

Votes: 46 22.2%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Planescape

Votes: 94 45.4%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 50 24.2%
  • Other

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Now, I'm not asking which of these settings should be the core setting. Nor am I asking which of these setting are better candidates. There are threads for that already. What I want to know is this: what settings do you want to see supported by the next iteration of Dungeons and Dragons? And why?

It doesn't matter if the support is only for one sourcebook or three sourcebooks or entire line of sourcebooks. It doesn't matter if the support is limited to DDI. It doesn't matter if the support is in the form of a board game. I'm talking about any ideas regarding supporting the various D&D worlds.

And I'm wondering about new material not old PDFs, which is a much larger issue. Lets keep it simple. New support. New DDI articles. New setting books (or boxed sets, if you prefer). New adventures set in specific settings.

And, with this poll, you have the option to choose any of the settings listed or none of them or suggest something not on the list or choose the option for a brand new setting.

Note that I have not listed the various sub-settings. If you want to show your support for specific sub-settings such as Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Hollow World, Maztica, Taladas, etc., then you should select other and post a reply explaining your choice.

Nor have I listed any of the settings that were done as D&D settings, but that WotC no longer holds the right to publish material for.

Regardless, I'm interested to see what the D&D community wants for D&D Next's setting support.

(And, yes, Pelinore is an actual official D&D setting. It was done by TSR UK, back in the day. EDIT: Hmm, but, now, I'm not sure if WotC owns the rights to the setting. Does anyone know?)

EDIT: Crap! I forgot to put Council of Wyrms on the list.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My "other" vote is not only for Council of Wyrms but also for Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur as well as Hollow World.

Those two FR sub-settings have the potential to become settings on their own IMO. I think Al-Qadim could be divorced from the Realms completely while it would be a bit tougher for Kara-Tur. I also like Maztica, but I know there are many gamers who hate it.

I think Council of Wyrms could be re-envisioned to include the Dragonborn.

And I'd like specific support for Hollow World in addition to a new setting sourcebook for Mystara.

EDIT: I'd also like to see a new slim sourcebook for the old Thunder Rift setting.

Last edited:

SKyOdin

First Post
We need a new setting. We didn't get a fully developed new setting with 4E, so I think we are somewhat overdue. While D&D has many, many excellent settings from its history, if new settings aren't created, we might not get the next Planescape or Eberron.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
My opinion is if they are going to make a buck doing the 1e reprints then they should continue to give respect and do Greyhawk.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
That's a tough question. If D&D is looking back to its roots, Greyhawk is a must for me. After that, I think a new setting that incorporates elements of past worlds would be a great way to pull fans together.

I like to see them do Ravenloft but only if they stay to to the original spirit of it and don't mess with stuff just to leave their fingerprint on it. The worst approach they could take to any classic setting is to design with an eye to "fixing" them. If people still have strong feelings about a setting twenty or more years later, then it must have been doing something right.

drothgery

First Post
Voted for Eberron, Greyhawk, and a new setting. I like Eberron; Greyhawk hasn't had a complete setting treatment since 1e, I think, and attracts nostalgic players; and we're really due for something built from the ground up as a setting for the new game. We're certainly getting FR, but I don't care a lot about the Realms.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
We need a new setting. We didn't get a fully developed new setting with 4E, so I think we are somewhat overdue. While D&D has many, many excellent settings from its history, if new settings aren't created, we might not get the next Planescape or Eberron.

That's a tough question. If D&D is looking back to its roots, Greyhawk is a must for me. After that, I think a new setting that incorporates elements of past worlds would be a great way to pull fans together.
I think the idea of a new setting has a lot of traction with the D&D community, as long as it is "actually" new. I have no problem with a new setting being inspired from the older D&D worlds, but I wouldn't cut & paste all the iconic locales into such a setting.* A new setting should be new IMO.

*The Tomb of Horrors might be okay. Also, a new setting could bring to life old locales that aren't as well known. (But, with slightly altered names?)

Beolveig

First Post
I would love to see a setting based on the Kingdom of Morn in the movie Your Highness. That would be a type of campaign most of us have played at least once (be honest) and yet one that neither TSR nor WoTC have ever done. Granted there is Hackmaster, but I think it'd be great to see an official D&D parody campaign. It really doesn't matter though, because it would be easy to homebrew, but I did love that movie and would buy every product based on it hands down.

Li Shenron

Legend
Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape, Ravenloft

Others: Al-Qadim, Kara-tur, Maztica, Rokugan

edit: I don't want a new setting unless it really has some innovative concept, no rehash or make-up

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases