• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which out-of-print RPGs do you still play?

Wombat

First Post
The only OOP games that I have played recently are some boardgames ;)

I will probably be running a Paranoia one-shot later this year; I would like to get Over The Edge running again, simply because I love the system.

Of course my shelves are filled with OOP games, including such wonders as Flashing Blades , two editions of Jorune, and the original Empire of the Petal Throne.

evildmguy

Explorer
OOP I am currently playing: Alternity (fantasy).

OOP games I would play, if I had the chance:

Alternity: Dark*Matter
Alternity: Star*Drive
Chill
Vampire the Masquerade (and the rest of WWs stuff in the WoD line)
SAGA

A few months ago the list would be longer but I cleaned out a lot of RPGs I wasn't using much less playing.

While not OOP technically, the Buffy and Angel RPGs seem to be done with any more books in their lines. I wouldn't mind trying them, possibly in place of WW.

I think that's it. Good question!

Have a good one! Take care!

edg
Alternity pimp

GMSkarka

Explorer
Well, actually, I'm not playing any of them at the moment, but I own a TON of out-of-print games, and come back to them from time to time.

There are several that I dust off regularly and play:

Doctor Who (FASA)
Chill (the original, Hammer-horror-esque boxed set version from Pacesetter, not the "edgy-and-kewl" gnostic 90s version from Mayfair)
James Bond 007 (Victory Games)
Cyberpunk (R.Talsorian)
Justice, Inc (Hero Games)
Star Trek (FASA---despite the recent proliferation of new rules systems from LUG and Decipher, I prefer the original)

In my case, I'm sure that my continal return to those games is a factor of nostalgia, since most of them were products of my teen years.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Gronin said:
Powers & Perils (still the best FRPG - at least IMHO)

I don't know if I'd call it the best but it certainly was the biggest bang for my buck. A couple of friends and I each bought the box when it was on sale for $5. Probably the best $5 I ever spent in terms of the fun I got out of it.

d4 said:
Ringworld and Space 1889 both would be fun conversion projects once d20 Future gets here.

I've run Space 1889 using d20 Modern at the last two NC Game Days and it has converted pretty smoothly IMHO. I developed some fairly straightforward flight rules for Sky Galleons of Mars and I've really enjoyed it and so have the players (assuming they aren't lying ;)).

The_Gneech

Explorer
I keep thinking about breaking out my first edition Teenagers From Outer Space -- with the right players, that game was sheer joy. :D

Of course, with the wrong players, it was awful. :(

-The Gneech :cool:

RFisher

Explorer
OOP games I've played recently:

Marvel Superheroes.

(Classic Traveller & classic D&D technically aren't OOP right now.)

Really, though, I'm open to just about any system someone is willing to run.

Sigurd

First Post
If I had more time!

I don't have enough time for one game session much less reviving old ones.

I'm pretty much D20 by force of available modules etc...

The games that I really think deserved more success are:

Powers & Perils - deceased game, wish hasbro would release it OGL or GPL or something.
Runequest - played it & liked it.
Role Master - Lots of tables & realism still better than D20 imho.
007 - light spy game.
Elric - I know its back in print as d20.
Tekumel - Empire of the Petal Throne - This too is in print again. It has a great world but few players.

Sigurd.

These are the ones that stick out. There are a dozen more that I'm content to see forgotten. Anyone play Tunnels & Trolls????

Last edited:

Boss

First Post
Aries_Omega said:
I love running Cyberpunk 2020. I still run it and have been tinkering with doing a d20 version and getting the original company....R. Talsorian Games to pick it up...which I don't think they are interested in at all. My version.... which I dubbed "d20 CP 2020" has hit locations and the combat is still deadly and realistic even at higher levels which IMHO made CP 2020 such a great system.

Quick note here... Social Games (creator of the Cyberpunk Card Game) has been given permission to take over the cyberpunk line and put out new supplements. I believe they stated that the first supplements will come out some time next year, as they just started writing. Thankfully (in my opinion), the new product will be using the old rules set rather than the fusion rules.

Okay, my games are simple...

Cyberpunk 2020 (obviously)
Millennium's End

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads