Pathfinder 1E Which Pathfinder Resources are "Must Haves?"

acorania

First Post
I would agree with most of the others who state the only 'must' have is the core book. I would throw in (like others) that the bestiary might make the list as well, but only for the GM.

Moving on to 'really nice to have' and I would throw in Bestiary 2 (GM only), Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic, and Ultimate Combat.

The rest of the books become a lot more situational. If you are a GM I would recommend getting Adventure Paths prior to even the Nice to Haves. Additionally if you are running something in an area covered in detail by another book, I would get that book. For example, I am running the Carrion Crown Adventure Path which is set in Ustalav, which is the subject of the Rule of Fear book. The Rule of Fear book is great for running a game in Ustalav, but don't pick it up expecting something like what Heroes of Horror was in 3.5, it is decidedly a setting book.

The companion line, which I like, is definitely more for the hardcore fan. If you are playing an elf and want to make them unique and come to life, then Elves of Golarion is great, but in no way necessary. Or if you are a completionist (like me), then you are looking at all these smaller books to fill out your collection.

Sean Mahoney

kalgani

First Post
Pathfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder Advanced Player´s Guide

anything else is optional but you need APG for the special PF feeling in my opinion. The Ultimate books did have some nice parts but are not really essential.
If you are a DM, you could also think about the Game Mastery Guide, but the information in this book is not so obviously. but especially if your not a long time Dm there are really some nice hints inside.

Matthias

Explorer
What books can you not live without?

Let's say I'm the GM and we're doing a game at one of the player's houses. I have space in the car for one backpack of books. I guess here'd be the short list I would take with me to make sure the players could still have a "full experience" of the game system.

Core Rulebook
Advanced Player's Guide
Bestiary 1
Bestiary 2
Ultimate Combat
Ultimate Magic
Adventurer's Armory

It is also nice (but not absolutely required) to have the Game Mastery Guide, Great Beyond, Gods and Magic, and Tome of Horrors Complete (third-party but still PF-oriented).

PDF versions of all of these are available and fully bookmarked (which makes it totally worth the extra $10...I can jump almost to the exact page of whatever specific thing I want to look up, if I know which section of the book it will be in). I recommend rather than have to tote a whole bunch of heavy books around or clutter your GM's workspace with three or four open hardcovers at a time, buy the PDF versions and copy them to your laptop (or even your smartphone--being able to run an encounter with the monster stats on my phone is pretty neat).

Remove ads