Which Published Settings Have You Played In?

Philosopher

First Post
In the "I think TSR was right to publish so much material" thread, there is a discussion about how all of the campaign settings produced during the 2e era served the fracture the gaming community. One claim that has been stated more than once is that people tend to pick one campaign setting, and that's all that they'll play. This does not match my own experience, however, which means the claim is not true of me, and is not true of most of the people I've played with. Of course, this is only anecdotal, so I wanted to ask others the following question: Which campaign settings have you played in? Have you tended to stick to one, or have you played a variety? Note that I'm just wondering what you've played in, not what you've enjoyed.

Aside from a wide variety of homebrews, I've both played and DMed with the following settings:

Dragonlance
Greyhawk
Dark Sun
Spelljammer

I've played, but not DMed, with the following settings:

Forgotten Realms
Planescape

Finally, I've DMed, but not been a player, with the following settings:

Al-Qadim
Titan (the setting for Fighting Fantasy gamebooks)
Nentire Vale

EDIT: I initially forgot the last two on the list... geez, I wonder what else I might be forgetting. :confused:

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
Let's see - I've played in:

Dragonlance
Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Eberron

A lot of my recent gaming has been in a homebrew world our DM uses.

possum

First Post
Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Dark Sun

That's all. Really, I've loved the Realms the most.

EDIT: Thanks to the above poster, I remember that I played in Eberron once at an early D&D Game Day.

Most of my play (both DMing and as a player) has been homebrew. Considering only published settings, the vast majority is:

Greyhawk

However, I've also played and run a little bit of:

Wilderlands (not TSR, of course -- does that count?)
Kara Tur

And I've played in a couple sessions of:

Forgotten Realms

FWIW, I don't think a lot of settings ruined TSR. I think a lot of poor business decisions and poor products ruined them. Most of the settings were okay (although I disliked where they took Forgotten Realms after the original grey box). It was crappy adventure modules and splat books that turned me off. I suspect big investments in things like Dragon Dice, the Spellfire card game, the new Chainmail game, and Buck Rodgers didn't help, either.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I assume this doesn't just mean TSR/WotC settings.

DM'ed:
Greyhawk.
Forgotten Realms.
Dragonlance.
Ravenloft.
Planescape.
Spelljammer.
Dark Sun.
Scarred Lands.
Pathfinder/Golarion.
Dawnforge.

Played:
Forgotten Realms.
Birthright.
Ravenloft.
Dark Sun.
Eberron.
Wilderlands of High Fantasy (NG Version).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which have I played in? Over the years, I've either DMed, played in or both for the following D&D settings:
  • Greyhawk
  • Forgotten Realms (including all of the expansions tacked onto it, like Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim and so forth)
  • Spelljammer
  • Dark Sun
  • Ravenloft
  • Dragonlance
  • Settings from other companies, like Judges' Guild, Green Ronin, Malhavoc, and AEG

I've yoinked some stuff from Eberron, but have not actually DMed or played in it.

Last edited:

DMed
* Forgotten realms
* Darksuns
* Ravenloft
* Planscape
* Scarred Lands
* Spelljammer
* Golarion
* Eberron

Played in

*Forgotten realms
*Ravenloft
*Planscape
*Golarion

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I've either DM'd or played in the following, to varying degrees:

Dragonlance
Forgotten Realms
Oriental Adventures (Kara-Tur)
Greyhawk
Shadowrun
Star Wars
Legend of the Five Rings
Dark Sun
Mystara
Eberron
Spelljammer
Sovereign Stone (demo game)
Pathfinder

And many years in a friend's homebrew.

Uder

First Post
For D&D games:

Greyhawk
Planescape**
Dark Sun
Forgotten Realms
Al-Qadim**
Ravenloft*
Dragonlance**
Wilderlands*
Known World/Mystara
Kara-Tur**

* Only played, never DMed
** Only DMed, never played

Philosopher

First Post
Wilderlands (not TSR, of course -- does that count?)

Definitely. That reminds me of one more:

Titan (the setting used in the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks - I once used it for a 2e game)

FWIW, I don't think a lot of settings ruined TSR. I think a lot of poor business decisions and poor products ruined them. Most of the settings were okay (although I disliked where they took Forgotten Realms after the original grey box). It was crappy adventure modules and splat books that turned me off. I suspect big investments in things like Dragon Dice, the Spellfire card game, the new Chainmail game, and Buck Rodgers didn't help, either.

I agree with you, but I'd rather keep this thread focused on the question I asked. Thanks. :)

Remove ads