D&D (2024) Which races would YOU put into the 50th anniversary Players Handbook?

Branduil

Hero
Everything except human.
Take away the yardstick.
Let weird flags fly.

Break the chains to pseudo-medievalism and "no way could that happen in real life.."
I would love a D&D setting with no humans. I've felt for a while that having humans in a fantasy settings inevitably results in a "humans normal, other races monocultures" situation even if unintentional. One solution is to just make the setting (almost) exclusively human (Game of Thrones), but the other would be to eliminate humans as the "baseline" human readers inevitably magnetize to, and force people to relate to fantasy peoples on their own terms.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Nope. I've simply said have ASI in addition to other rules.
Were you not specifically arguing that without that specific element, nothing would be enough?

That is, I am saying that that element is superfluous (not merely "unnecessary," since nothing is "necessary" in a TTRPG), insufficient on its own, and rationally connected to a pernicious and harmful ideology. Unless I have very much misunderstood, you are saying that it is in fact necessary, that the other things cannot even in principle do the job on their own.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I would love a D&D setting with no humans. I've felt for a while that having humans in a fantasy settings inevitably results in a "humans normal, other races monocultures" situation even if unintentional. One solution is to just make the setting (almost) exclusively human (Game of Thrones), but the other would be to eliminate humans as the "baseline" human readers inevitably magnetize to, and force people to relate to fantasy peoples on their own terms.
I'd very seriously consider the bolded if I thought I could get away with it. I'm really not sure how well it'd go over, however.

Remove ads