D&D (2024) Which races would YOU put into the 50th anniversary Players Handbook?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
None.

Race is 100% fluff with no mechanical advantage. That also means no extra bonuses to stats.
So are you saying that you explicitly want to deny the possibility of playing, for example, a winged race? Or a large one? Or one that can see in the dark? Do feel that the majority of players will agree with you?

Horwath

Legend
One that I think actually will be in the revised phb is the Warforged. All the other Eberron races are in MoM but the Warforged is conspicuous by its absence.
i always found strange that warforged didn't have darkvision.

You built them for war...imagine today sending soldiers to war without nightvision goggles...well, lets say that I wont comment on what war...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Honestly, after much thought, I also have concluded this. The problem with elves and dwarves and whatnot in the core, apart from their implementation owing a lot to Tolkien, is that not every setting should include these things. Have just humans, and then develop what races are in each setting organically.
Dark Sun has shown us that you can remove core races. If the majority of settings have Elves and Dwarves, leave them in. I think they are expected for D&D, and expected by new players.

Yaarel

He Mage
Honestly, after much thought, I also have concluded this. The problem with elves and dwarves and whatnot in the core, apart from their implementation owing a lot to Tolkien, is that not every setting should include these things. Have just humans, and then develop what races are in each setting organically.
I am sympathetic to the 2024 Players Handbook only listing the human race, with a note to consult with the DM for other races that exist in the setting.

This approach pairs well with an other contention of mine, the Players Handbook should be as setting neutral as possible, except for popular notions about medieval-esque plus the existence of magic.

All worldbuilding needs to be in the DMs Guide, relating to possible cosmologies, worlds, races, and cultures. Especially the Cleric class in the Players Handbook must not lock these assumptions in.

At the same time that the 2024 Players Handbook comes out, there needs to be a 2024 Forgotten Realms Adventurers Guide. It spells out the cosmology, world of Toril, races, and cultures that are familiar to 2014 5e players now. So, this 2024 FRAG (heh) is a core book, and is where to find the beloved races and cultures, including elves and dwarves, among others.

But the beauty of this corebook FRAG, is it becomes easy to swap in, instead, the Eberron Adventurers Guide, Astral Adventurers Guide, Dragonlance Adventurers Guide, and so on.

Each adventurers guide rewrites any races shared with other settings, so the descriptions exactly match who the races are within a particular setting.

Most importantly, it becomes easier for the DM to swap in a homebrew world. Perhaps the homebrew "adventurers guide" starts off local, with a few sheets of paper with brief notes describing the races who inhabit a particular town. Eventually by the time the players reach level 20, there can be a substantial amount of information about the cosmology and other parts of it.

Meanwhile the 2024 Players Handbook, just has humans, as an example of how a race works mechanically, and a few medievalesque multicultural backgrounds relating to the humans.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Medium Humanoid - choose traits
Small Humanoid - choose traits
Large Humanoid - choose traits
Tiny Humanoid - choose traits

Ancestry Traits and Cultural Traits go into Settings Lists

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
My preference would be to breakup races by themes, with the standard Tolkienesque theme as default in the PHB.

Then include all the others in campaign setting (or regional settings), emphasizing on the fact that default races do not need to be made available in a specific setting, or that what is described as humans, elves, dwarves, halflings can be different human cultures in another setting.

[edit] but I do think that what will end up being in the PHB is everything that was left out of Monster of the Multiverse…

Yaarel

He Mage
I have no real doubt that the PHB we actually get will contain multiple elves. I'd rather it didn't, but the designers' ongoing fetish for elf-love remains strong.
Heh, this thread welcomes the way 5e now treats subraces as separate races. I feel this is important, so each race concept can be fully described narratively and mechanically without being constrained by base race requirements. For example, it annoys me if every elf must have darkvision, even when it makes less sense. Separate races is a way to format a family of related races.

However. The call for there to only be ONE kind elf without any variants, convinced me pretty much immediately. If the elf player can choose the cantrip, and spell, and background feat, there doesnt need to be any other races, mechanically. Let eladrin cultures tend toward certain cantrips and spells, and drow cultures tend toward other cantrips and spells. Same mechanics. Player chooses. Setting recommends but doesnt require.

On retrospect, the elf does need two separate races. But both of them need to be called an "elf" or elf fans will cry if their favorite version doesnt get the name elf. Heh, I know I would.

Lets call them "sun elf" and "moon elf". The sun elf is the same thing as the astral elf, mechanically. The astral elf is well thought out, and its trancing is flavorful with useful proficiency swaps. It has the Misty Step teleportation per proficiency times per day. The teleport is highly useful in my experience, for any chosen class. (Might as well rename the spell itself "Elf Step".) Instead of a preassigned cantrip, let the player choose any cantrip from any spell list, so the race mechanics can be more useful for more elf cultures. Finally, instead of "sunny darkvision", choose any level 1 spell and cast it for free per day. So, elf races that cast innate spells, can use this race instead.

The moon elf is culturally nocturnal, but enjoys the twilights after sunset and before sunrise. It has darkvision and the twilights appear glorious because of this darkvision. Where the sun elf has Misty Step, the moon elf has the precisely agile Elven Accuracy. It shares the same trancing including proficiency swaps, and choice of cantrip for innate magic. But the moon elf is quick improving speed instead of gaining a spell.

The moon elf can handle most of the standard elf subraces, including wood, high, and uda-drow, plus FR moon, 3e wild, 1e grugach, 2e-4e athas, and others.

The sun elf can handle most of the exotic elf subraces, including astral, eladrin, 1e grey and faerie, 2e-3e-4e FR sun, Wildemount pale, and probably aeven-drow, and maybe loren-drow.

Change Darkvision and Waterbreathing into cantrips that any caster can choose. So a "moon elf" that takes Waterbreathing is defacto a "sea elf". A "sun elf" who takes Waterbreathing might be a nixie. A "sun elf" that takes Darkvision might be an aeven-drow or a shadar-kai.

A background feat can supply the uda-drow culture the Lolth spell traditions, like Faerie Fire and Darkness. Same goes for other backgrounds for other elf cultures.

Besides the two different elf mechanics, one for "sun" and one for "moon", all of the different kinds of elves are strictly cultures. Heh, two elf mechanics to rule them all.

The physical appearance of any elf can be whatever a player wants. It is already D&D canon that pale even whitish drow exist, and likewise dark even blackish astral elves exist. A player can choose any appearance, especially any reallife human characteristic.

Two elf races is actually enough for all of the 100+ elves in D&D traditions.

In the default lore, the astral elves, a kind of sun elf, are the original elves that reproduced from the blood of Corellon while in the astral dominion. The drow elves, a kind of moon elf, are the original material elves, who materialized into the material plane becoming creatures of flesh and blood. In the aftermath of their schism, the elves scattered across the multiverse, including elves of fey and shadow. Other elves of flesh and blood, including wood elves and high elves, are also kinds of moon elf.

However, one thing I am sure of is that the split between aevendrow, lorendrow and udadrow must be a matter of culture, and not one of subrace - it's problematic to have an all-evil subrace of elves, and splitting that subrace into three doesn't actually fix anything if one of them remains all-evil.

(Actually, I'd like the split between aevendrow, lorendrow and udadrow consigned to the fire, never to be seen again. And whoever came up with those awful names should be banned from using language ever again, as a lesson to others. But that's a whole other rant.)
I am comfortable with uda, aeven, and loren, being different but related elven ethnicities. Same goes for wood elf and high elf as ethnicities. I view the high elf as admixing the eladrin fey spirits. The 1e Greyhawk grey elves are eladrin who choose to materialize, while the faerie are the ones that remain in the feywild.

Two elf races represents everything well enough.

I hope, in 2024, we only see two kinds of elven races mechanics.

Anything else is a cultural background.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
Munchkin
Paper Doll
House Elf
Muggle
Vadhagh
Green Man of Mars
Fremen
Deryni
Talking Beast
Sparkly Vampire
Deep One half-breed
Ent
Gingerbread Man
Cookie Gnome
Schmoo
Wild Man (see image)
Mushroom Man
Dufflepod
Gelfling
Man

Wild Man 1.jpg

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
So are you saying that you explicitly want to deny the possibility of playing, for example, a winged race? Or a large one? Or one that can see in the dark? Do feel that the majority of players will agree with you?
Maybe at the cost of a feat? I mean I have nothing in principle against having fluffy and meaty races, but the current approach just feels like an excuse for powergaming where every race is just human+ (even humans themselves). We cannot have races be truly alien/inhuman. We cannot have them have very developed culture and strong cultural views. We cannot have them have meaningful weaknesses. We cannot have them have anything truly unique. Oh, but they can be a vehicle to gain more power where the right or wrong choice can make a character useless or overpowered!... My approach is more of a "throw the towel" gesture than anything else.

Remove ads