Which Story Hours are still being updated regularly?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'll be nice and generous with my definition of "regularly" and say at least 4 times a year (every 3 months).

I just have the feeling that the story hour forum has quieted down some and there are not as many regular on-going story hour threads as there once were, and while we can never really tell for sure what the largest number of active threads at any given time, I thought it might be cool to just gather some data about what is going on now.

So if you update one or mores story hours at least four times a year, leave a word and a link to it (why not?) and let us know how long you've been keeping it up and if you have had any significant breaks in your updates. If you've done more than one story hour, tell us about each of them.

I wonder if there is a lifecycle to a story hour thread. It might be fun to try to figure one out.

I'll post about mine in the morning.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Wow. So far the only story hours posted are all less than a month old. . .

For my own part, I am still updating "The Second Son of a Second Son", which I began in February 2007, about a month after the campaign started. There have been breaks as long as 5 or 6 weeks between installments, but mostly I update every week or two (usually I will update every week for three or four weeks, take two weeks off and so on. . .)

Before that I posted (and completed) the "Out of the Frying Pan" story hour, set in the same homebrew setting (see sig), which I completed in December 2006, after starting back in February of 2001 when these were still Eric Noah's boards, and covering 5 threads and over a thousand typed pages in Word. There were times in those nearly 5 years that I posted every 5 days or a week, but by the end I was only posting about twice a month to every three weeks.

I had several cases of story hour fatigue while writing the first one and had some breaks of weeks and even months when I grew tired of writing it, or simply could not get in the mood. However, I think in the long run the experience of the first one has taught me how to pace myself for this second one and I have not had to deal with that inertia of not writing (yet).

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I see Sagiro updated late last night/early this morning, and he has updated fairly regularly all these years (with a few breaks), but his is the only story hour I still follow - the others were either completed or abandoned (or I lost interest).

Who else has been updating regularly for a significant chunk of time?

talien

Community Supporter
I have two story hours running. I update them daily. They're all pre-written.

The Arcanis story hour is thirty chapters behind, which means it will finally conclude some time in 2009, I'm guessing. At this point the story hour has been around a long time, but not nearly as long of the staples here.

The d20 Modern story hour is ongoing, but because I write scenes (vs. summaries) the story hour is still several chapters behind. Unlike the Arcanis story hour, where we knew we were moving towards a conclusion, I'm not entirely sure how much staying power this d20 Modern game has. We only play once a month for an eight hour block, when I try to cram in three different scenarios. I'm planning to run the campaign books At Your Door, Goatswood, and Nocturnum. We'll see how it goes.

About the only breaks in my updates is when life interferes, I get sent on a business trip, I get really sick, or there's a power outage.

the Jester

Legend
I keep my current story hours linked in my sig; all of them are updated quite regularly, which is to say, generally about 2-5 times per month. (Although I just posted my first update after a couple month hiatus, and finished the halfling story hour off- it's now complete.)

Also, I anticipate starting my 4e story hour before too long.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have two story hours running. I update them daily. They're all pre-written.

The Arcanis story hour is thirty chapters behind, which means it will finally conclude some time in 2009, I'm guessing. At this point the story hour has been around a long time, but not nearly as long of the staples here.

Daily since 2004? Is that just weekdays? What do you mean by "pre-written"?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
(Although I just posted my first update after a couple month hiatus, and finished the halfling story hour off- it's now complete.)

Wow, the one you just completed started in 2003! That's five years. . . That is dedication!

How old are the other ones?

Remove ads