D&D 5E Which Urban Setting for D&D 5e?

Gecko85

Explorer
Ptolus is, quite simply, the most amazing and complete fantasy city reference book I have ever seen. The production quality is gorgeous, the ease of use is impressive, and the descriptions of the city are immersive. It truly is a complete city-in-a-book, with more potential storylines and plot-hooks than you can shake a stick at. The cost when I purchased it was $100, and I can honestly say I believe it was worth every penny.
Wow, these are going for a lot on eBay! $200-$300.

Sigil is what I'd use for an urban setting, based on the 2e material, Planescape: Torment and subsequent stuff that added a little details later there's a bunch of defined stuff, and still plenty of room to fill in almost anything of you heart's desire.

I'm torn between Sigil and Ptolus.

From what was said here, Freeport seems like the best choice for what you intend. Do you mind the Cthulhu-mythos vibe?

Odhanan

Adventurer
If you can find it, you should consider Ptolus, the only urban setting you'll ever need.

Good call. Ptolus is fantastic.

If you want something more gritty and old school, I'd go with City State of the Invincible Overlord, Yggsburgh or why not, the Free City of Greyhawk.

plancktum

First Post
From what was said here, Freeport seems like the best choice for what you intend. Do you mind the Cthulhu-mythos vibe?

Yeah, i also think so. I like Cthulhu, but I'm not sure for some of my players. So it depends on how much Mythos is in there?
I thought it is mainly about pirates.

I was going to suggest the Greyhawk boxed set. Tons of possibilities for urban adventures.

What makes Ptolus good, [MENTION=913]Schmoe[/MENTION]?
I third the recommendation for Ptolus:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/24802/Ptolus-Monte-Cooks-City-By-The-Spire-Ptolus-Core?it=1

The production values are simply amazing. There are sidebars throughout the book that cross reference people and places, making finding information easy. Which is super important for an urban campaign.
The book is crammed with adventure hooks and details, and more than enough content for a couple campaigns.
It is very possibly my favourite RPG product ever. (And I have the $200 Rise of the Runelords box.)

But see what I'm talking about for yourself, the Player's Guide is free:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/11959/Ptolus-A-Players-Guide-to-Ptolus?it=1

Remove ads