D&D 5E Which Virtual Table Top are you using right now and what do you like best about it?

Which virtual table top (VTT) platforms have you used in your 5e games?

Dr Magister

Explorer
Other: PowerPoint, and screen-sharing through Google Meet.

Obviously it's missing all the bells and whistles of an actual VTT, but there's no learning curve, and it's super easy to copy and paste in maps and minis and scale them accordingly.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So presumably it is still there. Again, it was around broadcasting and ownership, and didn't differentiate between their content and your own. Decide for yourself. If you don't see anything problematic, that's fine. It probably won't be an issue in the long term; I doubt they'd enforce. There's just too many options out there for me to deal with anyone that has any possibly non-consumer friendly verbiage in their legalese, and I have no patience for trying to even ask.
The only thing I could find that looks like that is the bit under ""Submissions":

Unicorn welcomes your comments, feedback and input regarding Unicorn products through this Site. However, Unicorn does not accept or consider any material for use in any of its products (including, but not limited to, demos, sketches, drawings, notes, stories, and game or character ideas), that has not been specifically requested by Unicorn. Accordingly, Unicorn asks you not to send us any such materials. If you ignore this request, any such materials, comments, suggestions or other information submitted by you to Unicorn will become the property of Unicorn, with Unicorn exclusively owning all known and hereafter existing rights to such materials, and you acknowledge and agree not to contest Unicorn's rights to use and disclose such materials in any manner and for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you.

So, this isn't one of those "we own what you post" provisos, in the usual sense. This is more of a "don't send us stuff that we didn't ask for—if you do it anyways, we get to keep it". It doesn't apply to the games, characters, and assets that that you use in your campaigns—just to stuff you submit to the company that they didn't ask for. I believe that this is to protect themselve should they release an asset (feferred to as "Materials" in the ToA) and some rando tries to sue them, claiming that their new asset is copied from something the fan submitted without request just because it's similar.

chuckdee

Explorer
That's not the part that I saw. It was something about transmission. Again, if you don't see anything that sets off your alarms, then I suppose it didn't set anything off for you. But know that a couple of people saw the same. It's quite a large document, or I'd just check it, but don't really have the time to go through the entire document.

CydKnight

Explorer
I use Roll20 but wouldn't say it's the most user friendly for a player and worse for a DM. The group started playing on it when Covid began since most of us already had an account and some familiarization with it previously. I can't compare it to anything else since I've never used another virtual table top and would prefer an in-person game under better circumstances.

Svanlaug

Villager
Using Tabletop Simulator for Dice Rolls, Maps, Figurines and 3D Maps, and Music.
Using DnD Beyond for Character Sheets.
Using Discord for comms.

We play the game like an actual Tabletop game ... gotta read the sheet and manually roll and do the math, although there are some auto roll tools for regular weapon damage rolls etc.

The most common critique I hear is lag for DMs, but then you go in to their table and they just used an add-on table and didn't customize it themselves, so they have a bunch of stuff on it they'll never use ... and the character sheets on the custom tables contribute to most of the lag, so if you use DnD Beyond, problem solved. Our table:

TableTeaser.png

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Using Tabletop Simulator for Dice Rolls, Maps, Figurines and 3D Maps, and Music.
Using DnD Beyond for Character Sheets.
Using Discord for comms.

We play the game like an actual Tabletop game ... gotta read the sheet and manually roll and do the math, although there are some auto roll tools for regular weapon damage rolls etc.

The most common critique I hear is lag for DMs, but then you go in to their table and they just used an add-on table and didn't customize it themselves, so they have a bunch of stuff on it they'll never use ... and the character sheets on the custom tables contribute to most of the lag, so if you use DnD Beyond, problem solved. Our table:
That's a busy table, you've got there. Looks good, but I've got lag DMing with an eight of that, though (which is why I'm transitioning to Astral). :(

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've recently downloaded Flowscape and Wildhape, and read about Game Master Engine. Finding the perfect mix among those and Talespire is my goal.......the developer for Wildshape is amazingly responsive.....and helpful.....I will be posting maps and stuff from Wildshape next week most likely.....

Svanlaug

Villager
That's a busy table, you've got there. Looks good, but I've got lag DMing with an eight of that, though (which is why I'm transitioning to Astral). :(

"An eighth of that" ... how did you calculate "an eighth"? RAM usage of each item? Would love to see your calcs ... because I kept a performance monitor up when configuring the table, and eliminating the existing items from the table does little. It was the character sheets for me, once I deleted those from the tabletop, it ran smoothly.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've become convinced I don't need a TON of automation (other than character creation and leveling and initiative)......I want a great map system, some fog of war, and integration with DnDBeyond (which I do thru beyond20)......I prefer for the DM to say if we hit, and if the monster is still up or not (don't @ me, we fudge sometimes)......I do prefer the Foundry interface to roll20.....I feel like I should like Astral more, but in fairness I've only tried the demos so far....

Remove ads