• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whip Questions

android

First Post
I have a few questions about using the Whip:

1. Do the ranged weapons feats such as Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, etc apply as normal to a whip? (I think they do, just checking to be sure.)
  2. Is there any rule preventing you from dual wielding whips? (Aside from the fact it is difficult to conceive.)
  3. Does the "Crack of Fate" ability from the Lasher prestige class in Sword and Fist stack with Rapid Shot? If so, would you receive two extra attacks per round but all at -4 penalty?
    [/list=1]

Any input would be appreciated.

Crothian

First Post
1) Yes, as a ranged weapon thwe whip can take advantage of all ranged weapons feats

2) You can dual weld whips, but note that 2WF feat only applies to melee weapons, so you would be at -4/-4 assuming you have the Ambidexterity feat.

3) Yes, you can do both in the same round, just keep stacking those negaitives.

android

First Post
Wow, that is incredibly well hidden. I have never read that before seeing as how I think heavy crossbows are terrible.

I was also able to find reference to it in the FAQ under the question about crossbows:

Note that the Two-Weapon Fighting feat is for melee and does not lessen the penalties for using two ranged weapons.

So it seems it's not a goof that was just left in. Fine by me, I'm using a shield anyway. Was just curious on that one.

I'm still not 100% positive that I can stack Rapid Shot on there, though.

hammymchamham

First Post
Rapid Shot [General]
Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Dex 13+.

Benefit: The character can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at the character's highest base attack bonus, but each attack (the extra one and the normal ones) suffers a -2 penalty. The character must use the full attack action to use this feat.

Certainly you can get it. Its just like the monk's flury of blows, but only works on ranged weapons, which the whip is.

Crothian

First Post
I think it was in a Sage Advice that you could, but I have no idea where. So, that's really of no help. So, I guess do what feels right. I played a Laser last year and when I stacked the two, sure I got the attacks, but it really was tough hitting things.

android

First Post
custserv@wizards.com

Well, here's an interesting (even humorous) bit of info. I emailed custserv@wizards.com a while ago for their opinion on these questions.

My email:
Hi, I have a few questions about using the Whip in D&D.

1. Do the ranged weapons feats such as Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, etc apply as normal to a whip?
2. Is there any rule preventing you from dual wielding whips?
3. Does the Lasher prestige class ability "Crack of Fate" stack with Rapid Shot? If so, would you receive two extra attacks per round but all at -4 penalty?

Their Response:
1. No
2. No
3. No

Darrin
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support
Game Support E-Mail: custserv@wizards.com
Game Support Phone: 1-800-324-6496
Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 7 PM PST
Corporate Phone: (425) 226-6500
Online Store Phone: 1-800-250-7589
Online Store Email: ordersup@wizards.com
Please quote this e-mail in any reply.

I have seen my fair share of incorrect and even ridiculous answers come out of custserv so I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Especially since he said "No" to #1.

android

First Post
wait wait wait

Are you saying that our good buddy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about??? But he works for the source! How can this be? My world is crumbling like a house of cards!!! A mad-house of cards even!!!

Remove ads