log in or register to remove this ad

 

Whispers in the Night

Satin Knights

First Post
Programmed illusions and silent teleports are a lovely thing. It lets her leave behind this mortal so she can prepare her work ahead. Fabricating a copy of Winterbite is not a problem, for she helped forge the original. Rollifilo has done some research. Apparently some primitive cultures lick toads to "enjoy" the mind altering toxins their bodies create that would kill lesser beasts. "This can be useful."

Calling up a servant, a hound archon arrives ready for battle. "Fetch me some euphoria mushrooms." Pausing, perplexed, the hound takes the trivial assignment, puts its sword away and obeys.

Having meticulously planned for days, she feels the time is ready for the rescue attempt. A few silent invisibility spells and she should be able to swap the fake for the real Winterbite while the people ride their horses. She brings along her own copy of herself as well. They are sheathed out of direct focus of the woman. No one notices as one blade goes invisible in its sheath, only to return a minute later, then the other.

The greater task, rescuing the slumbering soul from its planar prison also goes off without a noticeable hitch. Destroying the prison punted the two of them across the planes but once their travels stopped, the hostile environment was not an issue. With a bit more planar travel, she return home.

And now the trap. The blade still slumbers. With all the binder's power, this is the spell she cannot cast. She has to risk the secret of secrets, a thousand years of preparation are on the line. But she only trusts him to cast this spell. If she were to do it, a reflection could doom her to the same slumbering fate. Well, if he is going to visit, might as well let him enjoy the visit to the fullest.

Knowing the road and their destination, it does not take her long to find the party again. Tis night and they are setting up camp. Time to put these mushrooms to use.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Satin Knights

First Post
Having slipped the mushrooms in with the others that were gathered by the huntsman, she slips away and starts her preparations while they take affect.

Even though she is working in the dark, a great distance from the disciple and her friends, she is meticulous in her preparations. Switching forms, she grows to her full might and power. With an ancient breath, she builds a clouded wall between her and the others. Then, checking one last time that nothing living or dead is looking upon her, she invokes the power of her staff. The greatest staff she has ever built. Calling forth into the heavens a gateway forms. Calling forth a name no mortal has heard in centuries, an old friend arrives. Smiling, "It has been a long time." "Well, time is relative."

After informing the visitor of her plans, they argue over the details. Apparently secrecy and honor have conflicting agendas in this endeavor. After the argument starts circling, she puts her foot down. "I will modify the plans slightly, but if it means losing the blade for another century, I will not have anyone, not even you interfere with my mission. Is that understood?"

"Yes mother."


Since the plans have changed, she uses the staff to call forth a second visitor. This one is a little more dainty.
 


Satin Knights

First Post
After breaking Winterbite free from his prison, she returns her friends to their homes, and then rests.
A long and needed rest, for the magics she unleashes took their toll.
A new ally is on the field of battle, and the unseen war rages on.
 

jackslate45

First Post
It seemed like forever ago when he last walked these steps, but the path was still familar to him. Anaerion continues walking, looking for the place where he first found Malkovian. Malkovian, somehow observing the changes in the path as Anaerion gets closer, speaks up with an eager voice:

"Are we off to see Mother? It's been forever since I saw her!"

"I feel like you worked hard trying to defeat that monster, and I know your...Mother...would be pleased to hear about it."

"This will be fun!"

Fun...is a way to put it. Anaerion thinks to himself as they get closer to the door with the double knockers. Reaching into his backpack, Anaerion takes out the multicolored rose that he first recieved from the binder, and pins it back on his chest. Those who saw the flower immidiatly shy away, but Anaerion was still focused on finding the place that he really did not pay attention to it.

Once again finding the knockers, he approches the door. Ready for the knockers to ask the question, Anaerion opens his mouth. However, Malkovian was quicker to form his words.

"Good day! I am here to see Mother with Anaerion! Let me in, I have wonderful stories to tell her!"
 

Satin Knights

First Post
The knockers acknowledge you, "Impetuous little one, isn't he? Well, give him a hundred years and he will settle down." "Or one scolding from Mother." in a frightful undertone. "At least the boy is respectful. Just a moment, we will check to see if she will receive you."

A moment passes, and another, and another. They roll their eyes a bit, still waiting for an answer you don't think you can here. "Don't even say it. If she hears you, you'll be spending the next hundred years as the inside handle a the troll's outhouse." After about five minutes, "She is ready to see the two of you now."

The doors open. The room looks pretty much the same as last time. An empty suit of armor stands guard at the door. The silent little demonesque creature flutters about on small wings and waives you in. The lady is sitting in the chair she used last time, reading a book. The chair you used before is sitting across from her.

After you pass through the doorway, you hear a chuckle from behind you. "A second time without bringing a gift? Lets see how many fingers he leaves with this time."
 

jackslate45

First Post
How can I present a gift to someone who seems to read my mind? Woudn't that invalidate the purpose of it being a gift? Anaerion shakes his head, but thankfully did have a gift ready. At least, he thought it appropiate...

When the creature waves him in, Anaerion looks around in curiosity, but upon seeing the binder sitting in the chair she used last time, swiftly put a finger up to his lips for Malkovian to patiently stay quiet until being acknoledged. He can feel Malkovian's intense happiness at seeing his "Mother", but knows better than to interupt her reading.

Striding forward as quietly as he can, Anaerion sits down in the chair, and pulls out from his haversack the book from his last job that he found, still untranslated but mostly read at this point.
 

Satin Knights

First Post
After a moment, the lady raises her head. "Welcome back Anaerion and Malkovian. It is good to see that you are well. To answer your question, there is a difference between a gift and a surprise." she says smiling.

Taking the offered gift, "Where and how did you come across this?" looking at the large, ominous looking tome.
 

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion opend his mouth to start expaning the origin of the tome, but Malkovian beat him to the punch.

"Mother! How are you doing! We found it together on our jouney to Heth! Nastly place that, good thing Anaerion didnt get sick off the plague there. Awkward that would have been. We got wrapped up in a murder mystery most foul, caused by some sort of weird looking tentcale monster! Turns out these 5 crazy guys used this book to summon this invisble monster thing, which Anaerion was able to figure out by reading it aloud to both of us! They we went around, killing the last 3 crazy guys before the monster did, because other wise the monster would have remained in this realm to devour all of the city! Well, we didn't. The group we were with did. And those crazy guys would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for us pesky kids. And that little Kitty too."

At this point Anerion leans forward and continues "The book itself is a very unique find. It details the summoning of this monster quite well. While I would never dream of summoning something like what it does, it did provide a signficiant insight in how conjuration works on different planes, which I have been able to use in my own understanding of teleportation. I would not have been able to work out the harder parts without Malkovian's aid. I feel that someone with your ability might be able to use this book in a similar way."
 

Satin Knights

First Post
She leafs through the first few pages of the book. "Oh, them again. It is amazing how predictable chaos can be." Closing the book, "This is a door best left closed. You would be wise to never practice anything you learned from this book, for deception and corruption are its keys." Handing the book off to her homunculus servant, "Set this aside to be locked away in the vault."

"Well, it seems you have made the world a little safer. What brings you here today?"
 

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion makes a note to destroy those pages in his book before continuing with "I want to reward Malkovian's assistence. His lack of being able to read different dialects would be one of the first things to improve. Also, the ability to have him see in the dark." "Anaerion has had to sleep with a pillow over his head to drown out the light! Surprised he didn't kill himself..."

Smiling slightly Anaerion continues with "Also, and I do not know if it would be possible, but to somehow allow Malkovian to draw upon my knolwedge of the world, so he can use his own understanding of the world to make conclusions I would be unable to. Given our...unusual bond (Anaerion's right hand flexes ) I *think* i under stand the theory behind it, but I wanted to hear a second option. "
 
Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
"I think I can do that. Come here Malkovian." Being called, "Um, um... Oh yeah." As Malkovian remembers he can fly. He rises up, but has a bit of a struggle getting the chain he's upon unstuck from Anaerion's hair. With some not so gentle tugging, he breaks free of his master's hair and floats over to Mother. Landing in the palm of her hand, she bunches the chain together and places Malkovian in a pouch. "Hey! It's dark in here. Moht-" It becomes silent too as she closes the pouch.

"Anything else you would like to contribute before I go in back and start? An ear, an eyeball?" She does her best to stifle a giggle and keep a straight face.
 

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion smile fades a little, but he knew this might happen again. He nods and says "If it will help with the binding I do not mind parting with an ear. It is not like I really need two after all. My guess is that by giving part of myself, the bond between us becomes that much more powerful, correct?"
 

Satin Knights

First Post
"Yes. The bond grows stronger with each essence of you that I add. It also blocks other influences that may attempt to attach themselves to Malkovian. You want Malkovian to have an ear for languages, well..." This time, instead of pulling out a ring, she pull slides out a mithral dagger from her sleeve and hands it to Anaerion. She also takes a white scarf from about her neck and hands that over as well.
 

jackslate45

First Post
Taking both, Anaerion nods once. he lays the scarf on his knee, hoping that the binder won't mind the amount of blood that is going to be spilled. Anaerion then takes the dagger into his left hand, and grips his right ear with his right hand. Anaerion can faintly hear the humming of the blade, but then realizes it is his shaking hand, reverberating though the blade. Taking a calming breath, he steadies the blade as best he can. A second breath, and he closes his eyes while gripping blade tighter. A third...

The yell of pain is as quick as the flick from his hand. Anaerion winces enough that he drops the dagger from his left hand, but is able to keep a hand on his now free ear. Not sure what to do immediately as the pain screams from his right side, Anaerion quickly transfers the ear to the scarf, with the bloody side facing up in an attempt to not stain the scarf. He then moves both his hands to cover the flow of blood now coming from the side of his head. While he knew this wasn't enough to stop it, Anaerion tries as hard as he can to keep the blood in his hands rather than on the floor, but a few droplets splash onto the ground as it starts to overflow.

While conventional wisdom may have been to use the scarf Anaerion was handed to stop the flow, it seems clear that Anaerion wasn't thinking straight.
 

Satin Knights

First Post
Watching the conviction with which Anaerion takes to the task impresses the enchantress. She opens back up the pouch holding Malkovian. Plucking the severed ear from the scarf, she drops it in with him. "Hey! Wha--" as the pouch closes up.

"Use the scarf. It is woven from albino troll hair and will stop the bleeding soon enough. I will go get started while this is fresh." She rises and walks to the back. For the first time in months, Anaerion is alone. This is the first time Malkovian has been away since he arrived.

[sblock=ooc]Okay, time for some rolls in a spoiler tag. Each roll is a 1d100. Label them CC, CQ, CP1, CP2, CB1, CB2, CB3 and CL.[/sblock]
 

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion takes the scarf to his missing ear, and could feel the tingling of...something. As the enchantress said, he could feel the blood stop almost immediately. As curious as he was to the magic that was on it, Anaerion decided that his curiosity was best left unsatisfied for now.

A couple minutes pass, with the only sound Anaerion can hear is the calming of his heart though his still attached ear. He can still feel the blood on his hands, but it seems to have stopped bleeding. He says aloud "I must look like hell," with a small smile, half expecting Malkovian to interject with something, but the voice that he has gotten so used to hearing never responds. Laughing aloud Anaerion continues with "And now I sound crazy! What others must think of me!" His laughter lingers for a second, silently hoping for some sort of reply that never came.

The laugh on the wizard starts to fade, as time grew on. Deciding that he has to do something to help clean up the mess that he caused, Anaerion reached down towards the mithril dagger, and starts to clean it on his robes. Once done, he rips part of his left sleeve, and starts to clean the floor of the blood. However, as Anaerion was working with his less dominant left hand(as his right was still holding the scarf on his head), the blood was congealing faster than he could clean it up.
[sblock=Rolls]
Anaerion's Rolls:

CC: 1d100=64
CQ: 1d100=89
CP1: 1d100=28
CP2: 1d100=13
CB1: 1d100=20
CB2: 1d100=57
CB3: 1d100=70
CL: 1d100=67

Normally, Anaerion would cast Prestidigitation to clean this, but he doesn't have his Arcane bond lol
[/sblock]
 

Satin Knights

First Post
Fifteen minutes later, she returns to find Anaerion cleaning the floor. As she approaches, "Don't bother with that dear, I will get something to clean up the mess. The floor has seen more than its share of blood over time. Sit."

Anaerion follows her instructions dutifully and immediately. She walks behind his chair. "Relax and sit still. Let's see." She takes the scarf in her hand, letting his hand fall to his lap. Peeling the bloody scarf away slowly, she examines his wound. "Hmm." Moving her hand slightly forward, she wrings the scarf slightly, so that a couple drops of blood fall to the rainbow rose that is pinned to his chest. The rose snaps shut like a venus fly trap, almost grinning. Dropping the scarf on the floor, she places her fingers gently on his scalp, tracing slow circles around the wound. The ear itches and burns slightly as all apparently all severed limbs do.

After about a minute of this, she moves around in front of him and sits down. "Let's see." She cocks her head one way, then the other. Snapping her fingers, the scarf leaps from the floor to her hands. Inspecting it carefully, "Oh my! A couple loose threads. That must be it." Slightly flabbergasted, "Well, well just wear your hair long and nobody should notice."

"And now, the nominal payment..." Anaerion reaches to his backpack and pulls out a large sack of coins and sets it on the side tables. She reciprocates by opening her pouch. "About time! I know I can see in the dark now, but I've been cooped up in here for da--" "Quiet." "Yes mother." She pulls Malkovian out of the pouch and hands him back to Anaerion.

"A bit chatty, isn't he? Bards always seem to turn out that way. Well, unless there is anything else, you can go now."

[sblock=Rolls]Things came out good. Nothing spectacular, and nothing frightening. A successful upgrade. Well, except for the ear.[/sblock]
 

jackslate45

First Post
"Chatty he may be, but at this point I wouldn't have it any other way. It feels odd when he is not there there" Anaerion says, taking Malkovian and placing it around his neck. To which Malkovian adds "Aww, you missed me didn't you!"

Bowing slightly, he adds "Thank you once more. Let me know if there is anyway I can assist you." If the enchantress doesn't have anything else to add, Anaerion turns and leaves.

Out in the street, the elf removes the now shut multi-colored rose, wondering slightly what caused it to occur "Don't try it, mother will get mad" Malkovian warns, and Anaerion smiles to himself, removing the rose and placing it back in the container he had for it. He then reached up to his ear, and felt something odd about it. Hmm...now I understand what she meant. Equivalent exchange huh?

"Well, let us return to the Inn for now. I feel a strong need to drink. But first, let us do something about this ear, shall we?"

Waving his hand, Anaerion grows out his hair long enough to his shoulders.

"On a side note, I had a question about that monster thing you didn't fight. Won't it come back now? It could reform itself quite easily as it disolved right?"

Anaerion smiles to himself, glad that his compaion is back.
 
Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-

Following her instructions without question, Kalinn dutifully walks out of the Dunn Wright Inn and through the back streets of Venza. Headed in the direction of Arcane Row, Kalinn and the Messenger come to a home that seems set apart from the others of this rich neighborhood. Massive and proud, the stone building almost seems to be a fortress, one shrouded in shadows, even though it is the tallest structure in the area. Foot traffic in the area give it a wide berth as they travel by.


As Kalinn approaches the door, a pair of knockers greets her.

"Good evening. And your name is?".......... "Do you have an appointment?"

"Open up guys, its me." The invisible faerie dragon on her shoulder sounds perturbed. The knockers start snickering. "If we gotta hang around here, we gotta do something to amuse ourselves." "Yeah, yeah, whatever." The massive double doors open. It seems as if a stone giant could walk in without having to duck. Walking into the library and show room, the doors close by themselves behind her.

[sblock=For Kalinn's eyes]Inside the room, it is apparent that some clientele of this shop need the massive door. Looking around, the walls of this place is like a library that extends three stories up. Several closed doors lead off to other rooms. At the far wall is a shop counter for doing business, but the main floor of the place is quite open, with only rugs upon the floor. Well, there is something lounging on the rugs.[sblock=visitor]
[/sblock]

"Hello. Before we met in a dream. Now, the nightmare begins." Taking a rope that has been sitting coiled on the floor, the visitor throws it into the air and grunts a spell. The rope dangles from an unseen spot near the ceiling. "My friend enjoys her privacy, but even this room may have ears, so we must create our own privacy. Climb and I will follow shortly."

The light weight of the faerie dragon disappears as the little one jumps and flutters away. On the counter, a few papers are seen fluttering in a new breeze. Kalinn climbs the long rope up into the rope trick. The visitor stands, centers itself and then with a springing leap of a cat, jumps up into the rope trick for a bit of privacy from the world.

[sblock=ooc]Some secrets revealed in PMs. Other work may continue here afterwards. :cool:[/sblock] [/sblock]
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top