• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Gold Conversion

fafhrd

First Post
I'm reading the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and was wondering if anyone has created a game based the series. Alternatively, what would you think, as a player, if you created d20 modern characters who were later shunted into the Land? With some tweaking, it would seem the Haruchai/Bloodguard would be a natural fit for monks. The books of lore of the Lords could be translated into the various wizard spell levels, modified earth domain clerics serving as gravelingas. Would any of you be interested in playing in such a game?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Back when White Dwarf Magazine covered D&D, they did a few conversions from the land for AD&D, but that was way back around issue 10 or something like that. Not much since then.

Last edited:

Bleys

First Post
If you have access to Arcana Unearthed, the Oathsworn class in there struck me as VERY similar to the Bloodguard ;)

All in all, though, I think that the world setting could be an interesting one to base a game in, but you'd have to be careful about what path you took. I'd almost see it as more a case of all the PCs being people who are from the Land, and you set adventures in times between the visits of the Unbeliever.

As an aside, did you realize that he's started another set of books set in the Land? (if you already knew this, then apologies for bringing it up :D)

fafhrd

First Post
Thanks for the responses. Now I have no excuse for not having AU.

After a bit of contemplation, I think you're right Bley's. While the Rat Bastard in me would like to trip up the players by switching motifs mid-stream, the players might feel cheated watching all the fun stuff(read: earthpower) in the hands of the NPCs. Maybe set it in the time of Loric Vilesilencer, lots of nasties running around just begging to be slain and the the only legacy of white gold is tied to Berek Half-hand.

It is, in fact, the new book that inspired the idea. No need to apologize though. If you haven't yet picked it up, take heart. Donaldson's style and verbiage is as unusual and interesting as ever.

Last edited:

Andre

First Post
I used many ideas from the Land in my last campaign (Earthpower, high wood, Earthblood). I didn't place the campaign in the Land, as none of my players have read the books and wouldn't have really gotten into it (they were in the mood for a pretty standard campaign).

I think the Land is very easy to convert to 3.x rules. Prestige classes are perfect for the Unfettered Ones. Forrestals are very powerful druids. The Lords are probably best emulated with the Battle Sorcerer (?) class in UA, though you can make a case for the standard wizard also. The biggest difference is that there is no real cleric class in the Land. Either allow the Battle Sorcerers to select healing spells, or just live with the inconsistency. Another option - use the generic classes in UA.

Good luck!

Staffan

Legend
Arcana Unearthed, while not being a direct adaption of Donaldson's work, does take a big chunk of its inspiration from it - notably, the importance of oaths and ceremonies, the Oathbound class, and the Giant race.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'll just add that AU's Greenbonds would make good Forestals, and the Magisters who cast magic via a staff are a shoe-in for Loremaster type. And then there's that Blood As Power feat which you'd need to run a game set during the Second Chronicles.

I have a sneaky feeling that somewhere in the Diamond Throne book (the official AU setting) there is mention of a giant metal fist statue as well. Seems I've seen that somewhere before...*cough* Sentinel. ;)

rom90125

Banned
Banned
fafhrd said:
I'm reading the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and was wondering if anyone has created a game based the series. Alternatively, what would you think, as a player, if you created d20 modern characters who were later shunted into the Land? With some tweaking, it would seem the Haruchai/Bloodguard would be a natural fit for monks. The books of lore of the Lords could be translated into the various wizard spell levels, modified earth domain clerics serving as gravelingas. Would any of you be interested in playing in such a game?

I for one would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see SRD's Covenant series converted to a RPG. This effort is tops on my 'when I have the time' list... Perhaps in the near future a group effort could be initiated to create this setting, within the guidelines of the OGL.

devilish

Explorer
I'll add my vote to that as well!
I remember trying (unsuccessfully) to get my hands on
the White Dwarf article from a ways back. I'm surprised
that this is all that's out there....

devilish

Explorer
Well, melenkurion abatha, why don't we take a try at it; instead
of waiting for the industry to catch up? Here's a random stab/first cut
of things to stat - care to add?

Magic items