White Wolf sues Sony over the movie "Underworld"

WizarDru

Adventurer
Hmmm. Thorny issue, this.

On the one hand, WW appears to have some very strong consequential evidence. Individually not very compelling, but en masse (which presumably is part of their strategey for listing all those attributes) is starts to form (or try to form) a pattern. How much chance of success they have will be determined by a jury, the presentation of the case, and possibly even the facts. :)

Is it a widely-acknowledged fact that White Wolf's core line is, at the least, influenced by Anne Rice's Vampire series and Lumley's Necroscope? I think that it is. But so is D&D clearly taken from Tolkien, Lieber, Andreson, Howard and Vance. But the question is, how original are the ideas, and does White Wolf legitimately have a right to claim ownership of them? And therein lies the problem.

Many of the points listed serve two functions: to clarify how both properties are dissimilar to the wide-spread 'knowledge' of vampires and wereloves, and to establish a pattern of possible plagarism. Let's remember, outside of gaming and even further outside of fandom in general, many people hold very generalized 'Halloween' type ideas about vamps and werewolves.

But at the same time, many of these ideas aren't exactly revolutionary. It didn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to envision vampires, as they've been represented for a long time in western culture, as a collection of aristocratic sophisticates. That was, after all, what Dracula was. Formation of vampire clans isn't that much of stretch, especially with the idea of characters like Dracula again, who was already a member of the nobility....it's simply a matter of redefinition. And consider films like Wolfen, the Howling, The Crow and more....White Wolf didn't originate these ideas, by any stretch.

At issue is really the confluence of sources, and the depth of the material. Is it coincidence (albeit an extreme one) or sloppy behavior? If Underground stole it's visual look from The Matrix, and The Matrix stole it's look from somewhere else, who in turn did the same...how do you determine where the Worm Ourborous of cultural referential loop began?

I honestly don't know.

In Harlan Ellison's case(s), there was clear and substantial unacknowledged IP theft. And Harlan Ellison is a maniac when it comes to asserting his rights legally or otherwise, regardless of the amount of money involved. He is an intellectual pit bull, and has proven time and again that he'll bankrupt himself, if necessary, to prove his point. Corporations FEAR THIS.

Circumstantially, it looks like WW might have an actual case...or at least enough of one that they may get Sony to settle with them. Or Sony might fight them tooth-and-nail, to discourage exactly such lawsuits. Someone, somewhere within Sony's organization was familiar with White Wolf, I have no doubt. Either for potential cross-marketing opportunities, or for simply looking at a potential audience. That doesn't mean that the major decision makers did, or that it got that high up the chain. That doesn't remove them from liability, but it does explain some things, if they are found guilty.

To use Captain Marvel as an example, as Villano mentioned above, he doesn't look too similar, when comparing his minutae of details. But look at them from a broader picture, especially in light of a jury of non-comic book readers. They both wear costumes. They both have capes. They both have secret identities. They both fly, have super strength and speed, have 'families' of other similar characters (supergirl/mary marvel, superboy/Captain Marvel Jr.), have mad scientist arch-villians, have secret identities as journalists...and so on and so forth. You might say: "But Superboy was superman as a young boy in Smallville, and Captain Marvel Jr. was a different kid entirely in the present!" To which I would reply: "Yes, that's true. But in the context of many stories, that's just plain irrelevant to the reader. A solo story of either character would look very similar if you ignored the minor differences. And to someone with no emotional investment in either character, it would be irrelevant." Of course, a better argument would be that most of Superman's 'family' didn't really appear until after Marvel was effectively banned...but that's another story entirely. (Bonus question: who possessed the 'Shazambago'?:))

And that's really what this is all about, is a question of reasonable doubt. The deciding factor for the jury will be the credibility of Sony and it's writers over whether or not it was known and intentional. For example, if Sony made overtures prior to the film of licensing rights, and then didn't...they've got a problem. If the movie uses a lot of very similar, even if not copyrighted, terms and elements, then they have a problem.

On the whole, it doesn't look frivolous to me, but it's far from ironclad, either. And having sat on the jury of a frivolous lawsuit, I can tell you that this ain't it, from what we're seeing. :p

Last edited:

Ghostwind said:
As an aside, when I saw the very first trailer, my thoughts were "Oh, they've finally come out with Crow III." (Crow III was supposed to feature a female Crow). There wasn't anything in that trailer that made you think vampires and werewolves that I saw. But then, I don't play WW's WoD. The reason I bring this point up is that the casual person who is not familiar with WW and what it represents will likely look upon this suit as frivolous regardless of what the facts are. Most folks don't have a clue who WW is and have never heard of V:tM.

As a brief aside, I think you mean Crow IV. Crow III has been out (straight to video) for over two years now. :)

(It wasn't nearly as good as the first, but far better than the second. Then again, a two-hour of movie of watching an actual crow build a nest and poop in the park would have been better than the second. :D)

Enforcer

Explorer
I'll say it again: there's no frickin' way White Wolf would sue Sony unless they had a legitimate case. If White Wolf's lawyers thought the case was frivolous, there's no way they'd want to take it up against a gigantor corporation like Sony. Sony probably earns more revenue in a couple of days than White Wolf makes in as many years--White Wolf knows they'll be outclassed attorney-wise.

Thus, do you really think they'd be dumb enough to try this unless they were legitimately pissed off?

Ghostwind

First Post
mouseferatu said:
As a brief aside, I think you mean Crow IV. Crow III has been out (straight to video) for over two years now. :)

(It wasn't nearly as good as the first, but far better than the second. Then again, a two-hour of movie of watching an actual crow build a nest and poop in the park would have been better than the second. :D)

I wasn't even aware of Crow III's existence. I only knew about the short-lived and equally-as-bad-as-the-second-movie television series.

heirodule

First Post
Vampires - public domain
Werewolves - public domain
gangs - public domain
Romeo and Juliet - Public Domain

I think the problem is WW has created a generic public domain universe (except for the names of things, like Ventrue, etc) and doesn't know it.

Theres no reason a movie based off WW with the serial numbers filed off wouldn't be totally legal.

Its like the first Terminator movie. If Cameron hadn't SAID "we ripped off some Outer Limits episodes", Ellison wouldn't have had a case, because its compeltely plausible that the terminatro could have been made from existing SF tropes.

Liquid Snake

First Post
Videogames

You've got to be freaking kidding me.

From the PDF :

A second Vampire:The Masquerade inspired videogame, titled Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines, is in development using Valve Software's technology and game engine first used in its videogame Half-Life II.

Defendant Sony Picture has also announced on its Underworld website (www.sonypictures.com/movies/underworld) the upcoming release of a related video game - Underworld : Bloodlines, which is based on the game engine of Valve's Software videogame Half-Life .

Talk about coincidences, huh? :rolleyes:

Dark Jezter

First Post
20030908l.jpg

:D

DanMcS

Explorer
Enforcer said:
I'll say it again: there's no frickin' way White Wolf would sue Sony unless they had a legitimate case. If White Wolf's lawyers thought the case was frivolous, there's no way they'd want to take it up against a gigantor corporation like Sony. Sony probably earns more revenue in a couple of days than White Wolf makes in as many years--White Wolf knows they'll be outclassed attorney-wise.

Thus, do you really think they'd be dumb enough to try this unless they were legitimately pissed off?

They don't have to be dumb. They just have to count on Sony having better things to do. If the lawsuit goes forward, it might delay the movie release, or get bad press for sony, or any number of bad things- heck, WW might find a judge who dislikes big corporations and actually win. So it would be easier and quite possibly cheaper for sony to say "here's a couple million, sign this NDA, never speak of this again."

64: In the World of Darkness, vampires are described as "alien". In Underworld, vampires are described as "alien."

95: In the World of Darkness, werewolves and vampires can injure or kill each other with their teeth and claws. In Underworld, werewolves and vampires can injure or kill each other with their teeth and claws.

Speaking of frivolous. Some of the other claims look like they might have something, but werewolves have claws? You don't say.

In a fair world, including crap like this as a claim would invalidate the entire lawsuit. But lawyers like to just throw as much crap against the wall as they can and see what sticks, and the system as it stands lets them. Barratry should be a capital offense.

reapersaurus

First Post
I was wondering if anyone was going to talk about the videogame angle.
While reading the pdf, I noticed 2 other clear properties WW was defending:
the upcoming videogame, and Lucita.

The videogame angle seems like another reason why Sony is forcing WW's hand in filing this lawsuit.
But the Lucita character "infringement"?
Come on - I don't see how they can reasonably expect to copyright an ass-kicking, werewolf-hunting female character. It's not like they've cornered the market on ass-kicking females.
(Now, I'm not that familiar with the character of Lucita, and if anyone has any info as to how Underworld ripped off Lucita particularly, and not a generic AKF character, please let me know).

About the Penny-Arcade comic -
it was sloppy.
Just like many comments about WW's lawsuit - sloppy and lazy.
If you do the homework and read the lawsuit, you'd see that WW's argument doesn't come down to "We invented vampires and werewolves". That's simplistic and misleading and insulting, and anyone that parrots that approach is just throwing mud into the discussion.

BTW: personally, the strongest parts of the lawsuit are the shared differences from traditional vampires, as well as character actions and relationships (torpor, what the childe and sire are doing, etc) as well as the conceit that there are 2 "groups" in Underworld: a ruling group (Ventrue in WW) and a group that is concerned with beauty (Toreador in WW).

Put all the points together and it certainly is not a frivolous case.
Upon close enough examination, even identical twins can be made to look as being very different from each other, if you ignore the obvious and start going into minutia...

Psion

Adventurer
Kahuna Burger said:
I think this is a good point. When I saw the trailer, I didn't think it was a blade sequel. I didn't think it was a buffy movie.

From the ads I saw, it sounded more like a remake of "Innocent Blood" than a pilfering of WW.

I find very little about WW that wasn't pilfered from other media monster literature and movies; unless it is REALLY FREAKIN CLOSE to the story that they allege was stolen from, this move to me seems to display some major chutzpah.

Remove ads