Whither Gencon?

Barcode

First Post
I am not going to Gencon this year. It is the first time in (can it be?) 15 years that I am missing it for any reason other than illness. I've got ample funds this year, though in the past I've been unemployed and poor and still found a way to make it. It's always been an immutable part of my calendar. I've chosen Gencon over weddings and parties and hiking trips, and this year I have literally nothing else to do that weekend. But I am not going. Why?

Last year's organizational problems were so colossal that I find them, even a year later, to be simply inexcusable. As a judge, I was able to get around without a badge (occasionally borrowing a friend's to sneak into the dealers' room), so I was spared the long hours of waiting in line in the hot sun and the abusive comments from the frustrated convention staff. I know that Peter has issued lengthy explanations and offered sincere apologies, but I simply feel that there should be consequences for incompetence on that scale. Call it my overactive sense of justice.

Individually, I can't really muster much in the way of consequence, except to deny them my meager contribution to their coffers this year, and to tell people why I am doing so. I do believe in the capacity for men and organizations to change for the better, so I am not sworn off forever, just until I hear that Peter and his gang have redeemed themselves.

So I wait anxiously for good news from Gencon this year. I'd like to hear that lines were short and fast, events were well advertised and organized, that staff were friendly and helpful, and that good times were had by all. I want to feel like I missed something.

However, it seems that last year at this time there was quite a bit more buzz about the con. There was lots of speculation about the new location, folks were raising money for Morrus and Piratecat to be able to go, and there was more talk about the products to be released there. Is it just that this year there is less going on to talk about, or has the shine come off?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I don't want to come off as condescending here, but you sound way too worked up over what happened last year. I didn't even know anything had happened with the lines until the end of the Con since I got my badge pre-ordered, and just bought some generic tickets Thursday morning.

The idea of not going this year to try and "punish" GenCon and Peter Adkison for last year is, quite simply, cutting off your nose to spite your face. GenCon won't fair any worse (as you noted) for one person not attending, and you'll simply end up feeling like you missed something; while it's admirable (I suppose) to want to feel like you missed out, because then your favorite convention will obviously have regained the glory you feel it lost, the end result is still that you'll have missed it's "redemption". And even if GenCon isn't so hot this year, then you'll at least have the knowledge that you were right about your favorite Con becoming a shadow of its former self; a pyrrhic victory.

Peter Adkison made mistakes last year - it was his first year running GenCon, after all. I feel that the things he did right vastly outweighed what he got wrong, and that things will be even better now that he has more experience.

In regards to the "shine" coming off, its just that things are more stable this year. Both Morrus and Piratecat have presumably had an easier time with funds this year, and so won't need help to make the trip. Likewise, we know what GenCon in Indianapolis looks like now, so there's no need to speculate on that front. Finally, about the releases there, there have already been threads on that, with companies telling us what they'll be debuting at the con.

One thing went wrong last year (albeit it went wrong in a rather large way). That's no reason to be resentful, or try and deny yourself to hurt GenCon. Better, I feel, to trust that mistakes were made, and that they served as a learning experience to make things better.

Marshall

First Post
Barcode said:
Last year's organizational problems were so colossal that I find them, even a year later, to be simply inexcusable. As a judge, I was able to get around without a badge (occasionally borrowing a friend's to sneak into the dealers' room), so I was spared the long hours of waiting in line in the hot sun and the abusive comments from the frustrated convention staff. I know that Peter has issued lengthy explanations and offered sincere apologies, but I simply feel that there should be consequences for incompetence on that scale. Call it my overactive sense of justice.

You know, I have to disagree with you. I've only been to GC4 times over the last ~15 years but Indy last year was exactly what I expect every time I talk myself into going.
GenCon is much too big for its britches. Long lines, ridiculous costs, stupid rules and not a seat at a game table available. Honestly, go to a Six Flags on a saturday and you'll have a better shot at getting into a game. But you'll still have a better time.

The best thing that coulda happened to this con is it getting split into 3 seperate events. Now if they'll just do away with soem of the restrictions on unbadged attendees....

All that said, I still plan on going this year.
Only because its now less than 20 mins from my house and I know how to sneak into the dealer area without a badge. OTT its not worth the effort.

Hmmm, maybe I'll hit PKI that weekend...

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Once my heart was broken, boo who, boo who...but I got over it, I did not stop dating. ;) (sorry if that sounds rude)

I had fun last year and that is why I am going back. Yes there were issues, there were addressed quickly and I think actions has been taken. Last year was a learning experance and I think the scope and expectation caught some by surprise. GENCON had a lot of people show up.

As for buzz, I don't know I see a lot of threads with the GENCON banner, plus this year they have there own forums.

You just have to ask yourself if you had fun last year, I did, I had a great time and I am going again. Have fun.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil said:
Once my heart was broken, boo who, boo who...but I got over it, I did not stop dating. ;) (sorry if that sounds rude)

That does sound rude, actually.

If I recall correctly, last year was Adkinson . . . ahem, ADKISON's second year with the con, the first one being its last year in Milwaukee. If nothing else, I know Mr. Adkison helped arrange the ENnies ceremony in '02.

For me, GenCon isn't about getting into game; I have great gamer friends at home. It's about the dealer's room, and the events, and occasionally finding a friend from online or making a new one with whom you can share gaming stories. And it's gotten a lot better in the past few years because of ENWorld, since I know I'll always find friends there.

Sadly, though, I can't afford to go this year. I probably should've budgeted better my senior year of college. *grin*

Remove ads