• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who determines what is "official"?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
maddman75 said:
Disagree Alzrius.

First, asking what's official can't be answered without asking what is meant by official. The answer is that this depends on context.

You disagree, but you pretty much repeated me almost exactly. Which is it, do you disagree or agree? :confused:

The DM sets up the context for the campaign, therefore he decides what is official. The answer to the stated question is 'the DM'.

No, that's just what goes in a personal campaign. It isn't official, just what's used.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Alzrius said:
This thread is asking the wrong question. It isn't "who determines whats official?", but rather "what does official mean?"
You obviously haven't been paying attention. The question is: Are we going to let some Rangers fan tell us what to do? Are we going to just roll over and let those hoods from Madison Square Garden push us around? What are we?

I say no! I say the time to stand up and demand freedom is now! Freedom, brothers and sisters, that's what I'm talking about! Say it with me, now, I'm tired and I'm not going to stay up much longer!

No, wait. Hang on, I had it. Just give me a sec.

Darn.

Okay, Tom, you're official.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
barsoomcore said:
I say no! I say the time to stand up and demand freedom is now! Freedom, brothers and sisters, that's what I'm talking about! Say it with me, now, I'm tired and I'm not going to stay up much longer!

You're right...

We need freedom. We need freedom! Freedom from the English! Morrus Longshanks has oppressed E.N. World for far too long! Its time to take back what is ours - in a face-painted orgy of revolution! You call Mel Gibson, I'll get the kilts, and together, we will triumph!

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Re: Re: Who determines what is "official"?

Baraendur said:

Basically R&D works non-stop getting manuscripts ready, and then twice a month three guys who smoke a lot and wear expensive pin-striped suits come in from god-knows-where to evaluate what is "official."

One of those guys was me. Mmm...Baraendur-brains! Sorry, now that your brain has been consumed--WotC employee or no--you're unofficial.

All right, I take it back, Barsoomcore. You're official too.

(Long live the hoods from Madison Square Garden! :D )

Datt

First Post
What is official? Well Most people would say anything that has "Dungeons & Dragons" at the top of the front cover. But of course that is greatly debatable, as you can see from this thread. So I will just go with the masses and say, "It's up to the DM." I play in two different campaigns. One the DM uses the BoVD, the other DM doesn't. He doesn't like it. So for his game it's not official.

Last edited:

Gothmog

First Post
Ok, after reading this far in the thread, I have to ask: "Who cares if something is official or not?" To me, what is "official" has no meaning or significance at all outside of tournament events. I'll use what I dang well please in my game, making my own decisions as to whether it is balanced for my game. If I don't like something, I'll change it. I REALLY dislike players trying to strongarm me by pointing to a WoTC book and saying "its in there, so its official!"- someone tried that a year or so ago with mercurial weapons). Honestly, a lot of the WoTC stuff (mercurial weapons, Mystic Theurge PrC, Archmage PrC, some feats, some spells from Magic of Faerun, etc), are much more unbalanced and twinky than 3rd party publisher stuff. But since these things are produced by WoTC, they are considered "official"? Please. What counts is what your group decides to use to make the game enjoyable. If that means using a lot of 3rd party stuff, house-ruling, or whatever- so be it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads