• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who else considers he has now enough d20 stuff and won't buy more?

KnowTheToe

First Post
I am very specific in what I purchase now. I did not feel I got all the use out of my 3.0 books, so I have not replaced many of them and almost stopped buying books altogether. I bought 1 of the new class books and don't plan on any others unless I feel I need it. First time around, I bought the class books just to have them, to make my "core" books complete. I think I will buy the dragon book. I will buy the Green Ronin Rome book when it comes out and that is all I see in my future. Now miniatures on the other hand, I can't get enough of those.

Mr. Lobo

First Post
I don't know if I'm "done" buying d20 books. There are still some things I'd like to get like Magical Medieval Society (is that d20 , OGL, other?) and maybe Book of the Righteous. Also interested in getting the "Everyone Else" book.

Maybe buy some of the new Forgotten Realms source books since they're creamy. I like the creamy stuff more than the crunchy stuff.

I spent about a grand on d20 stuff from 2000-2002. From end of 2002-present I spent about 16 bucks on two Dungeon mags. I'd like to get the Greyhawk map series of Dungeons though.

The only d20 stuff I will buy will have to be generic (or OGL), widely applicable, and/or compatible with 3.0 rules.

I have the Scarred Lands hardback rules books and am currently debating whether to get Creature Collection III or not to round them out. How hard is it to retro fit 3.5 monsters with 3.0?

Turanil

First Post
diaglo said:
i still buy it though to complete my collection.
I have heard you say this for quite a time. So I am wondering: how many D&D books do you own?? Do you have everything WotC publishes for D&D??

robberbaron

First Post
I've got the three core books, and won't be buying any more.
If the players want to spend their hard-earned on books then I'm happy to borrow them, but I'd rather rely on my imagination. At least, that way, I know the results will fit in my campaign.

diaglo

Adventurer
Turanil said:
I have heard you say this for quite a time. So I am wondering: how many D&D books do you own?? Do you have everything WotC publishes for D&D??

how many? a lot. i have owned every edition. and still have most of the material. although, my 2edADnD stuff is miles away.

yes, i have all the WotC stuff, even multiples of some. and i also have other d02 publishers too.

Belen

Adventurer
diaglo said:
how many? a lot. i have owned every edition. and still have most of the material. although, my 2edADnD stuff is miles away.

yes, i have all the WotC stuff, even multiples of some. and i also have other d02 publishers too.

Ditto. I enjoy collecting it and I tend to get my stuff cheap, so no reason not to change the habit.

edbonny

Explorer
I do not think I will ever stop. I enjoy the game. I enjoy watching DnD and d20 evolve and unfold and I really enjoy being a part of the whole process. Simply because some people percieve a glut of material and grow frustrated does not mean that the more savvy gamers out there won't continue to evaluate each new game product for its own merits (a purchasing process which furthers the gaming evolution). My advice: Take it easy; see what comes; and enjoy the ride.

- Ed

The last year or two I've slowed considerably, but I haven't completely stopped. There are a few things out that I want to get but haven't gotten around to (Black Company, Conan OGL, etc.) and a few things coming out in the near future that I still want (Iron Kingdoms, Thieves' World, anything Eberron related) but yeah, I still mostly agree with you.

Razuur

First Post
No. Not me.

But I have noticed that there is less stuff out there I want to buy.

I have always had a list that was 20 products strong. I am at less than half that, and nothing remarkable beyond those in sight.

Worries me.

Razuur

Estlor

Explorer
I doubt I'll ever stop buying d20 products, but my consumption has drastically changed. In the earlyl days of d20, I bought too many campaign setting books. It's something I swore I wouldn't do when 3e started. But there I had Scarred Lands books I'd never use and Dragonstar (that are great and I don't regret) that I'd never use and Ravenloft that I'd never use and Forgotten Realms that I'd never use...

So I stopped all that. These days I'll only buy the beginning campaign setting book for the crunch that I can pillage and use someplace else. The only settings I follow anymore are Blackmoor and Iron Kingdoms, both of which have comfortably long release schedules.

I never really bought much 3rd party material. Anymore the items I buy will be things that provide lots of utility. I'm interested in the "Advanced" books from Green Ronin. I get mainly the generic books from WotC because they've evolved into niche products and I like the niches they're focusing on at the moment. That might change now that the "Complete" line is done and the "Races of" line has one book left in it, but I like the "Environment" books. Not sure how I feel about the "Adventures" line or that magical weapons book, but we'll see when they come out. Right now the DMG2 is off the radar as far as I'm concerned, but I'll reevaluate it when I get the chance to flip through it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads