Who gets to add new players to the group?

If the DM is not the host, it absolutely has to be cleared with the host as well.

I think that if a player wants to bring someone new to the table, they have to ask the DM. If the DM wants to invite someone, and they are hosting, whether they need to clear with the rest of the group varies. The DM does so much of the heavy-lifting, generally my feeling is that they can invite whoever they want to game. But that doesn’t absolve them of the responsibility they already have for ensuring that everyone is having fun.

As I mentioned in the other post, pretty much the only time I’ve added people to the group is when people start having commitment problems and attendance suffers. And in that case, I don’t think no-shows get a say.

Normally I see group membership as very much the GM's prerogative, the GM puts together a group /he will enjoy GMing for and thinks will work well together. But I can think of one exception - when a GM is GMing at someone else's house, it is good etiquette to ask that player before bringing new people into their home.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
In my game that I'm running its me, but I'd put it up to a vote and if the players were unanimous I'd add them in. I have about 4 hours of gaming to do a week and I'm not interested in doing it with players that I'd not hang out with otherwise. In someone elses game I'd expect the DM to check with the existing players first, and if he did add in someone I wasn't interested in hanging out with I'd just drop out. Maybe I'm not being accommodating but as I said, I'm not interested in gaming with people that I'd not hang out with otherwise. If I didn't know the person and we had a spot I'd give them a session and t hen tell the group if it was cool if they stayed. We are pretty much on the same page as a group though. Just ask little Timmy.

CheezyRamen

First Post
So, obviously as everyone else is saying that if the DM is not hosting the game then it MUST be cleared with whomevers house is being used. That being said, In general IME it is a general consensus and if everyone isn't down to let a new player in then I don't think it should be pushed. That also being said, I think the DM should trump anyone else because he's the person that has to accommodate the other person more than anyone else.

All in all, I think everyone should be open to letting new people experience DnD as a hobby even if it's a party of larger than 7. You can just throw some truly crazy stuff IMO. Or, you can split up the group for 2 sessions or maybe some players would like to play in more than one game and then bring the new person in with the other campaign. I don't think there really is a wrong answer, even if the answer is that the group doesn't want anyone else.

Satyrn

First Post
we're an insular group and no one new is allowed.

. . . naw. We just don't seem to have had reason to invite anybody in since I joined up with them several years ago. They are all friends from school twenty years back and I work with the one guy. I don't really know why I got in, but I'm glad I did, because they are an excellent fit for me.

When I joined them, they were playing regularly with a couple other friends of theirs, who I have never seen since. So I like to think I was an upgrade :)

Anyway, I think if we were to add someone it would be by group consensus - but that we're also easygoing enough that we'll give anyone a shot and keep the good fits if they want to stick around.

was

Adventurer
...We usually play at the local game shop. Unless the card gamers are running a tournament. In such cases, a player bringing a guest usually just clears it with the DM via email ahead of time.

...If the DM, brings someone, usually they just send off an email. After the game, the group decides, over email, whether or not to extend a permanent invitation to the new person.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
At the game store, for the one shots, anyone can bring anyone, as long as there are no more than 7 people. At someone's house or in a campaign, the whole group has to be ok with it,especially the host, but anyone can suggest a player. Online, new prospective players, no matter who suggested them or if they just found us, need to listen to us first to see if the style fits (half the time it does not) and then do a test run. Group decides after that.

CheezyRamen

First Post
From now on everyone must run it through me. I know, I know, sometimes I am not online. But, what must be done must be done. Please allow 7-8 business days to elapse before a judgement will be made. Also it's 500$ per judgement so choose wisely.

Jhaelen

First Post
These days it's decided by public vote if new players may join or not. Unless we feel there are already too many players, we usually agree to let them join at least for a session to see how well we get along and if we have similar preferences regarding gameplay.

Back in the days things have been a bit more chaotic and it wasn't all that unusual that someone simply showed up with interested new players.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Anybody is able to introduce a new player to our games, but you don't just turn up with them (especially, like you say, when the game is hosted in somebody's home).

Usually it'll be an email or raised during the game - "By the way, I have a friend called Bob who says he'd like to play." We generally trust each other not to intrude raving sociopaths or anything, so we'll invariably say "sure, bring him along next week". I don't think anybody has ever just turned up with an extra person tagging along.

I don't think we've ever booted a player. Anyone who is that out of tune with the group generally leaves of their own volition anyway.

This.

Remove ads