Who skipped 2e and went from 1e to 3e?

Ace

Adventurer
I loathed 1e (played it only a handfull of times) and left it far behind for Runequest and other games.
2e was better but still a silly game played under duress (althoughIhad some awesome games).

I left 2e for GURPS and Rolemaster

Now 3e is a good game, well thought out balanced and fun.
Honestly I still prefer roleplay intensive GURPS or another system but my friends ahh... Theres the rub

They seem to love old school, basically 2 big fights tied together with a loose plot and some roleplaying.

I am running a campaign like that now and the players are happy as clams. I am having fun too and back in gaming regularly after a long hiatus, so no matter.

The funny thing though, I only volunteered to run a one shot while my friend got his creative juices together for his next D20 Starwars Game.

Go figure, Now I am the regular DM Until Further Notice

back into RPGs with 3E

I to have returned to the RPG fold after the release of 3E. I played 1e until high school was over, and then eventually went on to Call of Cthulhu and GURPS in college. But neither of those systems really appealed to me much, and with a full time school load and two jobs I dropped out of RPGs and didn't look back.

Now that I'm back, I am eagerly awaiting CoC d20 to see if I can run a CoC campaign after all...

Rashak Mani

First Post
I´ll hijack this thread a little...

I see a lot of responses going the " I stopped playing and now came back..." Question: How long did you stay out of gaming ? Did you really stay out or just stopped Face to Face ? How wierd is it to come back to RPGs after say 5 years out ?

I have the impression that gamers... real gamers cant really just turn off the gaming ... they just get their kicks elsewhere... computers, video games, monopoly. (Girlfriend will do anything to change this thou.) I cant imagine myself without a game or two a week....

(Oh ... I had barely started playing 1st Ed when the 2nd Ed came out... I thought the 2nd Ed was good... well until 3rd Ed showed me how bad the 2nd Ed was !!! )

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
I resumed playing D&D after a lengthy hiatus from RPGs long enough to create three or four PCs under the 2e rules, just prior to the release of 3e. Just about the only thing I miss from 2e is the dwarven battlerager kit :) . You can start with a 3e dwarven barbarian, add some fighter and maybe a dash of ranger to him, and begin to replicate the battlerager, but it will never be the same.

Still, 3e blows 2e out of the water, and IMO 1e was also better then 2e -- at least I had more fun with it overall.

kenjib

First Post
Rashak Mani,

Well, computer games are a constant. :)

But sheesh it must have been something like err...10+ years of no gaming. You're probably correct in predicting that I'm not a "real gamer." I wouldn't consider myself hardcore at all.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Kenjib it wasnt meant as a criticism to your lack of "devotion" :)

Its that rpg can get into your blood... you get used to that out-of-the-normal thing you do once in a while.

So how were those 10+ years "not gaming" ?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I stopped playing in '92 -- I think 2e was still in early stages then. I wrapped up a 1e campaign that had been going on since '85, banged around in Shadowrun and Fantasy Hero for about a year and then graduated and moved from Calgary to Tokyo for four years. Came back and found myself in Vancouver without any gaming friends or materials, and never really thought about it until last year, when the bug bit hard and I put together a campaign using a homebrew game system. That was WAY too much work, though, and by then 3e was coming down the pipes so I switched the campaign over and here we are.

So I was out for... nine years or so? Sheesh, that seems like a long time. I was writing, though, and directing films and being married and all that takes a lot of one's attention.

Falcon

First Post
I had a seven-year gap of playing, while I lived Germany. Before that I had played AD&D. I took one look at the 2nd Edition stuff and went ACK!, and my gaming group stuck with AD&D, and now I play 3E.

EOL

First Post
I was 18 or so when 2nd edition came out and I had crap for income, and maybe $1000 in 1E so I swore I would never play 2E and I didn't though I did play lots of other stuff (Shadowrun, Champs, Marvel, Rifts, Rolemaster, etc.) then about three years before 3E I was sucked back in and I ran a 2E campaign for about a year. So no I did not avoid it entirely but I went quite a while before "succumbing". :D

Harlequin

First Post
2E Bleh!...

I was a hardcore 1E player...

I hated 2E with a passion, the reason I stopped playing...

I havent as yet PLAYED a game of 3E but from wht ive read
its a fantastic system and i would play it if it wasnt for time
constraints...

NWN here i come! :)

Harlequin

Remove ads