Who skipped 2e and went from 1e to 3e?

Agamon

Adventurer
Unfortunately, I did play 2e after playing oD&D and 1E. And I'm embarrassed to admit it took me a few years to realize how much it truly sucked without a heck of a lot of house rules (ie: might as well play something else). I'm happy for the coming of 3E, though, it's light years better than the old game.

kenjib

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Kenjib it wasnt meant as a criticism to your lack of "devotion" :)

Its that rpg can get into your blood... you get used to that out-of-the-normal thing you do once in a while.

So how were those 10+ years "not gaming" ?

Yeah, I knew that it wasn't a criticism. I really meant what I said. When I think about some people like Colonel Hardisson and others with such a long history of gaming and a tremendous range of experiences and such I just honestly think that I'm not very hardcore.

The ten years were great. I've played lots of music and done other stuff, basically grew up in almost every way. I'm still doing music now. Music has always been a very social thing to me - hanging out with friends, making new friends, and sharing a great common creative experience, are all every bit as important as the actual music itself. That's ultimately why music exists in our culture, after all. In that way it has very much in common with gaming, so maybe in some vague way there is still something bridging that 10 year span. Both of them are social events in which you all work together to generate something which is much more than the sum of it's parts and ultimately takes on a complete life of it's own.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
1 Played 1e at school
2 went to varsity hated 2e played some gurps
3 lots of computer games and girls:p
4 discovered the internet, telnet and then chat rooms
5 played lots of online RPGs
6 got married to non-gamer
"RPG - What are you talking about?"
7 3e came out, liked it decided to return to DnD
8 Discovered Enworld while seeking 3e stuff online:)
9 My RPG mates moved to another city:(
10 Spend lots of time playing online
11 Looking for someone else to game with...

Malin Genie

First Post
I bought the 2E rulebooks (although none of the modules, classsbooks, etc) but never played a game of it. The couple of games I did have in the '2E era' everyone I knew hated it and preferred 1E.

Hooked with 3E since it came out, and am currently involved in a great 3E campaign.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Started playing 1e in 1980-81 using the box sets. My group at the time was in Companion or Masters when 2e stuff started showing up in the stores.

We were never interested in the new rules due to we liked what we had at the time.

From 96-98 had no group :mad:

In 99 formed new group bought 2e stuff never used it played 1e until Gencon 2000 then kinda slowly worked in some 3e rules until characters hit 10 level (We had decided to retire them at 10th to start a 3e game at first level.)

I loved the red box set when I was 14 still do now but I like 3e best of all.

Remove ads