Who Wants A Labyrinth RPG?

Given that David Bowie was the greatest being ever to have lived, the answer to the question is: me! This was posted by Questing Beast on Twitter: a Labyrinth RPG being created by River Horse Games.

Given that David Bowie was the greatest being ever to have lived, the answer to the question is: me! This was posted by Questing Beast on Twitter: a Labyrinth RPG being created by River Horse Games.

D1Ys5FdVYAET8sw.jpg

"The secret RPG project I was hired to work on is... [Labyrinth]

It's being created by River Horse Games, who have created the overall structure and mechanics. I'm writing 90% of the adventure, which will be most of the book. 90 interlinked scenes full of OSR-style challenges. Definitely not OSR rules, though.

You'll only get to see about 1/3 of the scenes on each run, as you roll a die to see which scene you discover next. Linking the scenes create a new Labyrinth map with each playthrough. Almost every scene has random generators that add new twists, so no two games will be the same.

Mechanics are very simple, perfect for new players and new DMs (excuse me, "Goblin Kings"), and there's a 13 hour clock slowly ticking down throughout the adventure. Don't beat the game in time and you LOSE. Start over and try to get farther.

Tons of attention is being paid to layout. Each scene is a two page spread, with everything you need to know right there in front of you. You'll use a bookmark to track your progress through the book as you solve more challenges.

It's going to be packed with Brian Froud art from The Goblins of Labyrinth, as well as a number of other illustrators. River Horse is working to make sure that the book is of a ridiculously high quality that rivals the best OSR books coming out."

Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!

5atbu

Explorer
Mostly. But I tend to analyze books/movies etc. as I read/watch them. That's just how my mind works. So it was the first thing that I thought of. The fact that she never even tried did annoy me a bit, but it was a great movie all the same.
I apologize for being sarcastic.

Interesting. Generating a new labyrinth each time reminds me of an old board game -- Source of the Nile. You generated the hexes as you entered them, essentially creating a new Africa each time you played the game with only the coastal areas (known to Europeans) the same. The game was about discovery and exploration. And you got to play with crayons and draw the map on the (erasable) board. What could be better? :)

Remove ads

Remove ads