Who Wants a True Blood RPG?

Herne'sSon

Villager
I can't think of any either. I have Angel, Buffy, and Eden Studios Presents vol 1. I haven't picked up Army of Darkness or Ghosts of Albion.

I just last night finished watching season 7 of TB. Love that show. Coincidentally, I've been on a Uniystem kick again myself lately. I'm not super-familiar with the Cinematic Unisystem (I own them all, have read most of them, but never played) but Classic Unisystem seems like it would work well.

Start with WitchCraft. You'll need the Mystery Codex for Vampire and Spirit PCs. Abomination Codex gives rules for Werewolves and Revenants (in case you want to add a little "the Crow" into the mix).

Then grab All Flesh Must Be Eaten and a few supplements for a host of different monster abilities in case you need them.

But WitchCraft and those other two books could pretty much do True Blood without much hacking at all. The only thing you'd need to muddle over are Fairie abilities. But that could probably be done with one of the schools of magic (maybe the dream magic in Book of Hod, but I haven't looked at that one in years).

Herne'sSon

Villager
For that matter, I can't think of a non-setting-tied corebook for either unisystem flavor.
BTVS is the closest to universal; Eden Studios Presents Vol 1 includes a Firefly conversion for Cinematic Unisystem, and it clearly bases upon BTVS/Angel.

AFMBE is probably the closest you're going to get. There's no actual setting in that book, just the implied setting of "A world where the dead eat the living." Which if you squint at it just enough blurs to "gritty horror" without much other inference.

I've run a bunch of WitchCraft as a horror game, and never much used the setting there. Just considered it a modular modern horror/urban fantasy system and rolled with it.

Greg K

Legend
@BMonroe
I have not played Cinematic Unisystem despite having the Angel and Buffy books (excluding Magic Box). When I got them, I was in the middle of running a Savage Worlds Campaign and then went into running a Mutants and Masterminds campaign.

As for Classic Unisystem, Witchcraft (which I also have not played) came to mind, but I wasn't sure how to do Vampires or Werewolves as I don't have any of the supplements.

I just last night finished watching season 7 of TB. Love that show. Coincidentally, I've been on a Uniystem kick again myself lately. I'm not super-familiar with the Cinematic Unisystem (I own them all, have read most of them, but never played) but Classic Unisystem seems like it would work well.

Start with WitchCraft. You'll need the Mystery Codex for Vampire and Spirit PCs. Abomination Codex gives rules for Werewolves and Revenants (in case you want to add a little "the Crow" into the mix).

Then grab All Flesh Must Be Eaten and a few supplements for a host of different monster abilities in case you need them.

But WitchCraft and those other two books could pretty much do True Blood without much hacking at all. The only thing you'd need to muddle over are Fairie abilities. But that could probably be done with one of the schools of magic (maybe the dream magic in Book of Hod, but I haven't looked at that one in years).

Last edited:

Herne'sSon

Villager
I have not played Cinematic Unisystem despite having the Angel and Buffy books (excluding Magic Box). When I got them, I was in the middle of running a Savage Worlds Campaign and then went into running a Mutants and Masterminds campaign.

As for Classic Unisystem, Witchcraft (which I also have not played) came to mind, but I wasn't sure how to do Vampires or Werewolves as I don't have any of the supplements.

Vampires are in the Mystery Codex book, and Were are in the Abomination Codex. Unfortunately, both those books are long out of print, and hard to find for reasonable prices (though you can sometimes find them on eBay in the $20-$30 range). But if you just want the information, you can get them (and all the other WC books) in PDF on DriveThru.

They're essentially like another type of Gifted, bun instead of getting access to a school of magic, you get access to a suite of powers just for that supernatural type. And then Advantages and Drawbacks specific to that creature type, too. So, for example, the bog-standard "Vampyre" in WC drains Essence through sort of psychic means. But you can take a Drawback that you can only drain Essence through drinking blood. Other drawbacks make it so you can only drain Essence through seducing, or terrifying your victim. Stuff like that.

So to do True Blood vamps, you might need to fiddle with the template a little, but it could be done.

aramis erak

Legend
AFMBE is probably the closest you're going to get. There's no actual setting in that book, just the implied setting of "A world where the dead eat the living." Which if you squint at it just enough blurs to "gritty horror" without much other inference.

I've run a bunch of WitchCraft as a horror game, and never much used the setting there. Just considered it a modular modern horror/urban fantasy system and rolled with it.
Neither of those is Cinematic Unisystem; those, plus Terra Primate, are full unisystem, which really is a different game.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Serious question. Would a True Blood RPG appeal to you?

Part horror. Part soap opera. All sexy and gory.

Definitely.
which part of the series appeals to you? Depending on what you want the "core loop" of the game to be, there are several possible game systems.

If you are really focused on the groups of supernatural fighting and politicking, then V:tM or Urban Shadows might be the right choice.
If you are really focused on the forbidden romance between a mortal (with telepathy) and a vampire, maybe Star Crossed is the right game.
If you are interested in the mystery aspect of the fiction, maybe a gumshoe variant - perhaps Nights Black Agents (would have to be seriously tweaked)...

Herne'sSon

Villager
Neither of those is Cinematic Unisystem; those, plus Terra Primate, are full unisystem, which really is a different game.

Sure, but you'd said previously, and I was replying to: "For that matter, I can't think of a non-setting-tied corebook for either unisystem flavor."

From that, I assumed you weren't tying your interest to Cinematic or Classic. If you want a CineUni book without an built-in system, you'd have to wait for Beyond Human. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...

Remove ads