• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC
[SBLOCK]
I was looking back over the posts and found something we forgot to deal with. The assassin had several items on his body that Whisper found in the alley. A magical knife, ring, and 5 scrolls. If you'd like to have them identified or sold, there was time enough left in the day to do so.
[/SBLOCK]

The rest of the day passes with agonizing slowness as you await word from the street artist. The inn is busy throughout the day with patrons checking in or stopping by for a meal. A crew of men have begun work on repairing the damaged door frame from the attack last night and the inn is abuzz with gossip about what happened. As evening begins to close in and the patrons begin to clear out there is still no sign of your artist. It isn't until the streetlamps have been lit that someone finally arrives. A young man wearing the uniform of House Sivis arrives carrying a large frame wrapped in white cloth. He looks around for a brief moment before spotting your group and approaching you. "Greetings, I'm a courier for the House Sivis. I have a delivery for you here. Also a note to go with it." He hands over the frame and a sealed note then turns to leave.

The Painting
[SBLOCK]
Unwrapping the painting you see that the artist was not lying about his skill. The colors are vibrant and the lines are clean. It depicts two ships locked in battle. Sword and axemen exchange blows while archers fire into the fight. One of the ships waves the flag of House Tharask while the other flies a black flag with skull and crossed bones. The previously unfinished bottom section now shows an underwater scene with the Tharask ship lying on the bottom, its tattered flag still waving in the ocean currents.

Search DC15
[SBLOCK]
You notice something a bit off about the painting. It seems as if some of the lines on the water and the ships are purposefully drawn so they don't line up properly. Here, two long planks on the hull of the ship are bowed where they should be straight, and here a wave has a straight line where it should be splashing chaotically. Something else is going on in this picture that you are not seeing.
[/SBLOCK]
[/SBLOCK]

The Note
[SBLOCK]
The note is written in flowing script in common.
Dear Young Miss, I deeply regret being unable to bring you your purchase in person. I would have dearly loved to see your eyes alight at the sight of its beauty. It tears my heart but I must attend to family matters elsewhere. I have named your painting "Stars over the Red Waters" and hope that you will appreciate it in the proper light.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper reads the note, and though her smile is masked, it's audible in her voice when she murmurs, "Ingenious. My fellow students, I would not be at all surprised to discover our artist friend bore a Mark of Shadow on his skin."

Then she snaps out of her admiration and says more loudly, "Lets view this in a room...it could get damaged in the common area."

With that, she heads for the stairs of the inn, and for the girl's room.

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

[sblock=OOC]

Who'd have thunk Midian would make the Search check with an untrained +1, but lo and behold he did[/sblock]

Midian wrinkles his nose, looking sideways at the painting. Feeling he follows Whisper's logic, the druid follows the women upstairs.

"I'm not sure that canvas looks to be good proof agains fire," he says. "But the dawn whispered a means of calling on a heatless light to me this morning."

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper nods. "My thought exactly. A magic light, unusual during the day, to make sure its secrets are not accidentally viewed."

She gestures. "Would you care to do the honors, Midian?"

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Shayuri said:
Whisper nods. "My thought exactly. A magic light, unusual during the day, to make sure its secrets are not accidentally viewed."

She gestures. "Would you care to do the honors, Midian?"

Midian smiles, and once the group has gathered behind a closed door, pulls a piece of mistletoe from a pouch at his belt. He says something reminiscent of the crackle of a fire, spinning the mistletoe between his palms as if it were sticks to start a blaze. And then the room grows brighter as the mistletoe glows brightly.

"Now, let's see if we guessed rightly," the druid says, holding the glowing leaves over the canvas.[/color]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
As the magical light plays over the surface of the canvas you see something unusual appear. The lines that didn't quite seem to match up shimmer as if tiny flecks of glitter were mixed in with the paint. The lines show a pattern, curvy lines like a shoreline, smaller shapes like islands, and off the shore of one of the shapes is a small X placed near the waving flag of the sunken ship.

Mista Collins

First Post
With a smile as the map reveals itself, Seria looks to the others. "It looks like we are making some progress. No we just need to find a way out there."

Remove ads