• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Will Get the Axe?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
"specifically innovation for our Magic and Dungeons & Dragons fans"

This is a reference to their e-strategy, but should be a good sign for us. Implies cuts comming from other brands.

And it seems early for D&D cutbacks. I would expect those in about 2 years.

Filcher

First Post
"Wizards Announces New Organizational Alignment"

Layoffs? I took this as a move to Chaotic Good (see The Rouse's customer resource thread under Gen Con experiences).

Darrin Drader

Explorer
This sounds eerily like what went down in 2000, except that back then there was no warning.

But this is the reason I've lost my love for WotC. Too many plans not followed through and too many shattered dreams. The company is beholden to the bean counters and they are beholden to the shareholders by the very nature of their positions. That, above all, trumps the interest of the game and its players. Several years ago Monte Cook suggested that the ideal company to run D&D would be a company that specializes in D&D. It would be on the smaller side and would focus on hiring and retaining the most creative talent in the industry. I feel that he was right, and that's what I see happening with companies like Paizo, Fantasy Flight Games, Mongoose Publishing, and Steve Jackson Games.

Inferno!

Explorer
Doesn't sound good for Star Wars.

I hope not, based upon the GenCon seminar they have a lot of interesting books in the pipeline - and the core book won an ENNIE! However, if the worst were to happen to Star Wars (and by extension Rodney) maybe we could begin getting Star Wars goodness from Rodney on SWRPGNetwork again.

wedgeski

Adventurer
But this is the reason I've lost my love for WotC. Too many plans not followed through and too many shattered dreams.
Really? WotC have shattered your dreams? Crikey. I also note with interest you avoided 'too many broken promises' in favour of 'Too many plans not followed through'. :)

Several years ago Monte Cook suggested that the ideal company to run D&D would be a company that specializes in D&D. It would be on the smaller side and would focus on hiring and retaining the most creative talent in the industry. I feel that he was right, and that's what I see happening with companies like Paizo, Fantasy Flight Games, Mongoose Publishing, and Steve Jackson Games.
I so do not want a small, vulnerable company to take control of D&D. I want a large, entrenched player in the market, with plenty of resources and a ton of marketing bulk to throw behind the game. Whatever their mis-steps, I think Wizards are the right people to be holding the reins, just at the moment.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Bet Heroscape goes. You know Wizards was dying to get rid of their mini's competition, especially when Heroscape proved you COULD sell packs of non-random miniatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads