• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Would Illustrate Your Setting?

Agemegos said:
Angus MacBride. I'd set him up in a studio in Malaysia somewhere, with a large budget for armourers and textile workers to dress his models.
His historical pictures, most done with Osprey these days it seems, are simply phenomenal. I'm not 100% convinced that he's the best for fantasy, though. His LotR stuff done for I.C.E. (granted, a long time ago) are OK, but not incredible.

Aeric

Explorer
I have two homebrewed worlds, one which is very anime-inspired (and also a joint production with a friend of mine) and one which is my own creation that is modelled after pre-Revolutionary War America (with the demihumans as the oppressed native population--damn humans!).

For the anime-inspired world, I would have to go with Nobuteru Yuuki of Escaflone and Lodoss War fame.

For my personal world, I think I'd go with WAR and Lockwood. They're my favorite Wizards artists currently.

Fun thread, btw.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Gez said:
Jürgen Hubert said:
Francois Schuiten and Benoit Peeters - because their comics were a huge inspiration for Urbis in the first place.

I'm not surprised by that. But I understand you, these are really beautiful works, a sort of dystopian Vernian* universe.

(* of Jules Verne, if that's not clear enough.)

The biggest inspiration among their works was the "Führer durch die Geheimnisvollen Städte" ("Guide to the Obscure Cities" - unfortunately for you guys, it hasn't been translated into English yet...). The drawings in it look like a Mad Architect's wet dreams.

Of course, they have a city in that world where they lock up architects into mental asylums on general principle... ;)

Wombat

First Post
qaaral said:
William Blake

Well, it would require a true ressurection spell.

What a lovely notion, though!

Perhaps he could even come up with verses to provide further inspiration for the setting!

Hmmm, what would a Blake-inspired game be like? I think I'll have to start working on this. Obviously many of the quests and adventures would be religiously inspired... (hauls out Songs of Innocence & Experience and grabs a notebook)

JeffB

Legend
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Interior B&W by Bill Willingham & Jeff Dee, color covers by Erol Otus.

AGGHHHHH..HE STOLE MY ANSWER!

:D

And Jim Roslof...

Throw in some Angus too...WTH right? it's my fantasy fantasy.. :heh:

If it had to be newer folks...

WAR

and uhm...

The guy who did the cover of Demons & Devils (from Necromancer Games)

and...uhm...

WAR

One person whose art I really liked in an odd sort of way was the illustrator who did the old late 70's paperback versions of the LotR books, and the Hobbit. They had white covers, and I distinctly remember the cover of THe Hobbit witha picture of them floating down the river on the barrells.. That art always stuck with me...anyone know who that was?

Vaxalon

First Post
Frank Cho!

Frank Cho, all the way.

Attachments

• FrankCho.jpg
    FrankCho.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 52

Remove ads