D&D 5E Who wrote Lost Mine of Phandelver?

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm strongly considering leaving off on Rise of Tiamat and starting 5e for real in the Spring action path. RoT seems like a lot of work to convert to what I want it to be. We are still in Phandelver at the moment as a taster. We don't want to start a real campaign until after the DMG comes out so we can consider what changes we want to make to the standard expectations. I won't get the DMG delivered till after Christmas so it's not too long a wait.

RoT seems good and all, but it hasn't captured my imagination, and I'd like something easy to covert to Eberron. I've always been very impressed with Rich Bakers work, and LMoP is one of the best adventures I have DMed in a long time.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm strongly considering leaving off on Rise of Tiamat and starting 5e for real in the Spring action path. RoT seems like a lot of work to convert to what I want it to be. We are still in Phandelver at the moment as a taster. We don't want to start a real campaign until after the DMG comes out so we can consider what changes we want to make to the standard expectations. I won't get the DMG delivered till after Christmas so it's not too long a wait.

RoT seems good and all, but it hasn't captured my imagination, and I'd like something easy to covert to Eberron. I've always been very impressed with Rich Bakers work, and LMoP is one of the best adventures I have DMed in a long time.

Aaargh, the acronyms. They hurts us. Too many acronyms (TMA).

Lancelot

Adventurer
Count me as another person who really enjoyed Mines of Phandelver. I've used various parts of it here and there, rather than run the whole thing end-to-end. It's nicely modular, a fairly gentle introduction to the new rules, great maps, feels very old-school, and the dungeons had multiple paths of exploration (rather than forcing action through one or more choke-points).

I was less disappointed in the first Dragon Queen module than some others (don't have the second one yet). I've heard accusations of railroad, which I just don't see. One thing that helped me was to see it as a collection of individual modules, rather than a single adventure. If you look at some of the locations in isolation, they're tremendously sandboxy. I was particularly impressed with the swamp location, which is as sandboxy a thing as I have seen in years. Open and extensive map with many approach points, flexible NPC locations, optional allies, time schedules, guidelines for different PC approaches (assault, infiltration, prisoners, etc). In fact, most of the chapters after the first two were pretty decent. It's kind of unfortunate that the opening couple of chapters were kind of weak, in my opinion. And by weak, I mean: horrifically lethal and off-putting for new players, and lacking in flavor, story and memorable NPCs to hook people into the new campaign.

Still, Mines of Phandelver is my favorite module so far for its elegant simplicity and neat hooks. Kudos to the authors.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I like LMoP except for the first encounter, which forces a new DM to interpret the rather vague stealth rules. Boo on that. Otherwise not bad, but it doesnt particularly inspire me. I'd go 7/10.

I think they missed a big opportunity with the green dragon (practically zero fluff on it).

Nebulous

Legend
Word. Honestly, it's a really strong adventure and likely to become a classic. I think it's much better than Hoard of the Dragon Queen. (Rise of Tiamat is a big improvement, though.) I'm optimistic for Rich Baker's spring AP.

Absolutely! I think it is far, far better than Hoard, and Lost Mine deserves to be a classic D&D adventure. It hits all the right marks, is sandboxy enough, has overlapping agendas and interesting monsters and surprises. And for any DM with a little experience, you can tweak it to your heart's content. I think it's actually underrated.

Nebulous

Legend
I like LMoP except for the first encounter, which forces a new DM to interpret the rather vague stealth rules. Boo on that. Otherwise not bad, but it doesnt particularly inspire me. I'd go 7/10.

I think they missed a big opportunity with the green dragon (practically zero fluff on it).

True, the green dragon could be better incorporated into the adventure. For new DMs, this is a loss, because they won't know how to do that (a.k.a. - just make something up) and could easily run it as a straight up fight in a tower.

Remove ads