Who's played D&D with Gygax?

Valiant

First Post
After reading the thread describing the ENworld GENCON D&D game with Gygax, it just really made me think what a great experiance this seems to be for most. Reading the adventure summary really showed just how much the flavor of the game has drifted since the "old days" (simple but fantastic). You can say what you want about Gygax, but after reading that post you have to admit it, Gygax hasn't lost a thing. ;)

Anyhow, please indicate: 1. What D&D version you were using, and 2. when did it take place? Oh, and a brief description of the game might be cool.

exile

First Post
I have never gamed with Gary, but I have a story that is too cool not to share. About 6-7 years ago, I attended a show in Fort Wayne, aimed at retailers (a friend of mine at the time had a game store). In any case, he and I and two other friends spied Gary walking just outside the hotel bar. We were having drinks, so one of us ran out and grabbed Gary to invite him in. We bought his several drinks and talked for hours about D&D and gaming. Gary, if you read these boards, the same lot of us get together for Gen Con every year, and I for one would be happy to buy you a few more drinks.

Chad

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Valiant said:
Anyhow, please indicate: 1. What D&D version you were using, and 2. when did it take place? Oh, and a brief description of the game might be cool.

Well, I have, but you've already read the brief description - I was in the game with Rel three weeks ago :D

-Hyp.

bowbe

First Post
I played Castles & Crusades with Gary and Rob Kuntz, along with Mike Stewart, Casey Canfield, Peter Bradley, and a few other guys at Gamefest in Milwaukee. Great time!

Stupid tactics by our party led to our ultimate demise. We were thwarted by grey dwarves using simple illusion spells to appear as if they were in greater numbers than they actually were. Alot of us out-thought ourselves in that one and they used the simple and sublime to take us out.

It was awesome watching Gary turn to Rob, mumble something only they two could understand for a few moments, then they both turn to the table with big grins and start rolling dice on us. Outstanding!

To my credit, I was last man standing, and if I hadn't raged, hey told me my character probably would have been spared and stripped of gear and valuables or sold into slavery!

Case

I played a single encounter of D&D with Mr. Gygax, at Gen Con, sometime in the late 90s prior to my going to work for Wizards. The party was attacked by, and largely decimated, by big wolves. He didn't tell us if they were dire wolves, worgs, evil druids, or just timber wolves with attitude, but he scared the heck out of all the players with descriptions of their eyes.

I place that memory, along with dinner with Dave Arneson, playing Thieves' World with Lynn Abbey (and numerous GR crew), winning a copy of Fallout (I or II, don't remember which) at the WotC Dungeon Delve, running Rodney Thompson (and his brother) through a pulp adventure, and playing in Charles Ryan's Apocalypse game this past Con, as highlights of my nearly decade-long relationship with Gen Con.

T. Foster

First Post
As I've mentioned many times previously on this and other rpg boards over the years, I played with EGG for 2 sessions at Glathricon, the local/regional gaming con of my hometown (Evansville, Indiana) where EGG was the Guest of Honor, in 1988. The system was AD&D (1E, which was still the only E in those days...) with a few tweaks (max damage on natural 20, joss factors (as later seen in Mythus), money/treasure accounted in BUCs (also as later seen in Mythus)) and the adventure was a playtest version of the "Tomb of Rahotep" section of Necropolis (which was eventually published as a module for, you guessed it, Mythus). My character survived! :)

grodog

Hero
Valiant said:

At the tender age of 10, I learned to play Gangbusters at Origins 1980 with Gary, though I did'nt know it was him at the time---I recognized his picture some years later on an insert in a Grenadier box set. We played in a pub (I think) on campus dubbed "The Hobbit" and it was an open gaming/demos area. GB was sufficient fun to convince my friend to buy the game so we could play it back at home, but beyond that I have no specific Gygaxian recollections :D

Later, in 1987 at DragonCon #1, I met Rob and almost played with he and Gary in the final round of Rob's RPGA "(To the) City of Brass" tourney. Our team won the event, and I gather that's likely because Rob and Gary wanted to kill off the PCs in the round they were judging so they could go hit the bar it closed ;->

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Henry, Rel and Piratecat have all played with Gary Gygax.

I have played with Henry, Rel and Piratecat.

Therefore, I am two degrees away from Gary Gygax. :)

Remove ads