D&D General Why a PETITION: Stop Hasbro's hurtful content is a Bad Idea

Raiztt

Adventurer
I mean, you could doubly say that about this thread, created to complain about the other thread and the moderating going on there, right? :p
I agree completely - although most of the people here seem to be stating a fact rather than arguing in favor of proscriptive behavior.

I'm saying that the other thread is pointless, as a matter of fact. Not what we should actually do about that fact.

Raiztt

Adventurer
We are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order!
No, probably not. What the disclaimer on this product should tell you is that Hasbro/WotC will never really care about these issues because it's their business to make money, not promote social justice. Their opinion, like the vast majority of giant corporations, ebbs and flows with the tide of public opinion because it's profitable, not because they actually think it's morally correct.

MGibster

Legend
No, probably not. What the disclaimer on this product should tell you is that Hasbro/WotC will never really care about these issues because it's their business to make money, not promote social justice. Their opinion, like the vast majority of giant corporations, ebbs and flows with the tide of public opinion because it's profitable, not because they actually think it's morally correct.
It was a joke. A bad line from a bad movie.

I agree completely - although most of the people here seem to be stating a fact rather than arguing in favor of proscriptive behavior.

I wouldn't say they're stating facts, but I suppose they aren't proscribing behavior... EDIT: Actually, they kind of are, but that's a different story.

I'm saying that the other thread is pointless, as a matter of fact. Not what we should actually do about that fact.

I dunno, everything is pointless until it isn't. I personally found their research pretty interesting given that it's something I had never heard about.

And you've not really shown any sort of "detrimental impact" besides speculate that maybe there could be further outrage or that Hasbro would throw a tantrum and toss their ball away.
And neither has the petition shown any sort of detrimental impact. It's all based on speculation of harm that might be occurring. Given we have some idea of the scale of the harm (given sales numbers of the item and the fact that few of us die-hards had ever heard of the product).
You can have teaching tools that are not just published on academic journals, especially when it comes to your own product.
Sure. And now you get to show why WotC, or the community, should care. Dungeonosophy and you have failed to show us why we should care.
even misstated what they were saying by saying they were trying to sweep the past under the rug,
No, I didn't.
I think it says a lot more that you felt the need to create an entirely separate thread to talk about it.
Created because the moderators suggested that someone do so. Because as has been shown repeatedly this discussion was not welcome or allowed in that thread. Sounds to me like you are trying to suppress open discussion by trying to insult me. You're going to have to try harder.

I won't bother repeating most of my thoughts, because this topic is pretty much just on spin cycle anyway.

However, the idea that just because other literature was also mentioned on this thread somehow elevates little known D&D module from 3 decades ago is just goofy. Saying that Strange Brew and Schindler's List are both movies does not suddenly make the other more relevant. Obviously Strange Brew is a masterpiece of Canadian filmography. ;)
Strange Brew warms my heart. Max von Sydow is in it, which clearly elevates it to the level of 'art'.

Remove ads