• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WHY are elves so danged cool?

Arnwyn

First Post
As two other posters who are more eloquent than me said:

- Tree houses are cool.
- Perky elven babes that stay perky for centuries are cool.

:D

Driddle

First Post
Arnwyn said:
As two other posters who are more eloquent than me said:

- Tree houses are cool.
- Perky elven babes that stay perky for centuries are cool.

:D

Total agreement. ... Not enough to make ME love elves, but I appreciate those aspects just the same. :)

On the other hand, it's amusing that such reasons are totally non-gameable(?). Which is to say, they'll never be played out at the gaming table. Elf race gamers and fellow elf-lovers seem to share a vaguely defined set of racial concepts, but they still vary widely and are almost entirely unspoken (at least until someone asks about them on a thread like this).

The_Gneech

Explorer
Driddle said:
Total agreement. ... Not enough to make ME love elves, but I appreciate those aspects just the same. :)

On the other hand, it's amusing that such reasons are totally non-gameable(?). Which is to say, they'll never be played out at the gaming table. Elf race gamers and fellow elf-lovers seem to share a vaguely defined set of racial concepts, but they still vary widely and are almost entirely unspoken (at least until someone asks about them on a thread like this).

FWIW, when I play an elf, I make a point to trying to make the character "elfish" in personality. My current character, whose backstory involved him fighting at the Battle of Imridy Meadows and various other bits of Greyhawk history (he entered the campaign at 10th level) is usually like a wistful older brother who's lived through heartbreak but gotten over it, and now smiles indulgently at the antics of his younger siblings -- but every once in a while comes upon a new wonder and lights up like a kid seeing his first ever Christmas tree.

None of which has to do with his Dex modifier or ability to see in the dark.

And for goodness sake people, stop saying "blame Tolkien". It's "give Tolkien credit for making something awesome."

-The Gneech :cool:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like 'em because I prefer playing finesse fighters, rangers, and rogues. They've always been the best race to fit these roles without having to play wee folk. :)

The long lifespans and "alien-without-being-too-alien" nature also makes them appealing.

Arnwyn

First Post
Driddle said:
On the other hand, it's amusing that such reasons are totally non-gameable(?). Which is to say, they'll never be played out at the gaming table.
Ohhhh... you meant cool as in "reasons to play them".

Well, then. Actually play elves? Not cool at all, AFAIC. :p

Spatula

Explorer
Orius said:
I'm pretty sure that was the case in all the pre-3e rules. I know for a fact that they couldn't cast while wearing armor in 2e if they were fighter/mages, and I'd imagine it was the same with 1e.
In 1e you could cast spells without penalty while wearing elven chain mail (just another example of something being better because it's made by elves), which elves would not give to a non-elf. In 3e, elven chain armor is simply made of mithril (and so has a lower arcane failure %). I don't recall how elven chain mail worked in 2e.

Subversive

First Post
Lord Zardoz said:
- I have never heard of an ugly elf

This is ironic. I just designed an adventure where a character has to interact with an obese, domineering elvish wizard to try and obtain a vital bit of information. The idea of a porky elf that lets his servants do all of his work while enjoying tea and crumpets just appealed to me so intensely due to the disconnect it generated.

But to bring it back to point, I find their otherworldliness to be somewhat enticing. Flavor-wise, they're just different from us, and pretty much superior. Their only weakness seems to be their inability to generate litters of babies like us hummies and their inability to adapt to the changes in the world - and aren't these just the sort of flaws we're sort of wishful for?

-Steve

Klaus

First Post
Spatula said:
In 1e you could cast spells without penalty while wearing elven chain mail (just another example of something being better because it's made by elves), which elves would not give to a non-elf. In 3e, elven chain armor is simply made of mithril (and so has a lower arcane failure %). I don't recall how elven chain mail worked in 2e.
Like in 1e. Elven chain = cast spells a-okay.

The Complete Book of Elves even introduced elven full plate. Same deal.

Spatula

Explorer
Wow. I'd heard plenty of bad things about the Complete Book of Elves (I sorta stopped playing D&D before it was published), but that's still surprisingly cheesy.

Remove ads