• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why are potions of healing so expensive?

No. I do tire of arguing with idiots.

I dislike mechanics that are dissociated from the underlying game setting and thus dissociative to the player as well. Hit points are not. Powers with no explanation in game are. Hit points are just a way of conveying the well being of the character between GM and player.
Why does your well-being increase as you level up, does one become healthier?

Level 1: Well-being status = healthy
Level 2: Well-being status = healthier
Level 3: Well being status = more healthier

No. What you did is show that you absolutely know nothing about the subject. Every time the first thing out of someone's mouth is hit points, I know they know nothing and are ignorant. They have no clue the issue people have nor ways to fix it. They are out in left field.

Funny, I just remembered that @Ovinomancer called you out on your disassociated mechanics bias but instead of using hit points he proved it via the magic system. Would you prefer that as opposed to hit points?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Why does your well-being increase as you level up, does one become healthier?
For me, HP are just the easiest way to track if a character is up or he is down - everything else is fluff (which can be filled in depending on the tone ex. I wish to set).

Sure, there are other ways, but for me (to paraphrase an old saying) : HP are a terrible mechanic, but everything else is worse.

Btw, before anyone latches onto the word terrible, it's just a pithy saying.

Why does your well-being increase as you level up. Does one become healthier?

Level 1: Well-being status = healthy
Level 2: Well-being status = healthier
Level 3: Well being status = more healthier
It is indeed a bit weird. It makes sense that higher level characters are better at avoiding being hurt badly, but how exactly the HP represent this is rather vague. One aspect of healing surges that I really liked was that they made healing proportional. It's fourth of your HP regadless of how much that may be. Without this the result is that the same healing spell that will heal a badly wounded commoner to perfect health will barely help a badly wounded mighty hero... That's just super odd from in-universe perspective.

To be clear, I'm not really having an issue with hit points, I'm just highlighting the fact that @Emerikol has bias on what he defines as disassociated mechanics or metagame mechanics, using both terms to describe burning of HD mechanic to restore hit points which is prevalent both in 4e and 5e. I gave him an out upthread - personal bias, which I admit we all have, but given his follow up posts it appears that he is not accepting of that reasoning so I'm willing to see where this goes.

Undrave

Legend
It's fourth of your HP regadless of how much that may be. Without this the result is that the same healing spell that will heal a badly wounded commoner to perfect health will barely help a badly wounded mighty hero... That's just super odd from in-universe perspective.
Yes! that's one of the biggest thing we lost.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know your ignorant and really can't carry on a conversation about it because of your dismissiveness and trite answers.

No. What you did is show that you absolutely know nothing about the subject. Every time the first thing out of someone's mouth is hit points, I know they know nothing and are ignorant.

No. I do tire of arguing with idiots.
Mod Note:

First off, to call someone else ignorant, but then use the wrong form of "you're" is... kind of ironic.

Beyond that, though, you seem to have forgotten that insulting people is not appropriate. You're done in this thread.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Funny, I just remembered that @Ovinomancer called you out on your disassociated mechanics bias but instead of using hit points he proved it via the magic system. Would you prefer that as opposed to hit points?
I actually started that with hitpoints. @Emerikol chose to focus on spells as more defensible. Either way, he blocked me over the disagreement, so invoking me is probably just going to inflame.

Undrave

Legend
There probably could exist a middle ground between gruesome critical injury tables that produce death spirals and no one ever being able to be injured in manner that is not fixed by a good night's sleep...

4e had a wonderful mechanic for long lasting consequences: the disease track. You could easily create a series of injury modelled on the disease track, with multiple stages, and have them as consequences to dropping to 0. Say you drop to 0, roll on the injury table; and now your character is stuck with the 'Broken Leg' "disease" and you need to take certain steps to repair that injury.

But like many things in 4e that had lots of potential, they weren't given a second chance to improve...

4e had a wonderful mechanic for long lasting consequences: the disease track. You could easily create a series of injury modelled on the disease track, with multiple stages, and have them as consequences to dropping to 0. Say you drop to 0, roll on the injury table; and now your character is stuck with the 'Broken Leg' "disease" and you need to take certain steps to repair that injury.

But like many things in 4e that had lots of potential, they weren't given a second chance to improve...
5e exhaustion track is pretty similar though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads