Why are sci-fi scenarios so thin on the ground?

I also linked several adventures directly in the other links below it. It really is not hard to covert between White Star and SWN even though SWN is not just a redo of D&D.

erc1971

Explorer
It's weird that it's always been that in RPGs fantasy is much more popular than sci-fi, but in film sci-fi is much more popular than fantasy.

D&D was the first RPG, and for many years it was so prominent it might as well have been the only game out there. After 11 years in the hobby, it took everyone I gamed with to drag me into another game kicking and screaming.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think that it's an issue of path dependency.

D&D is so well-established that it's hard to say that that TTRPGs are dominated by "fantasy." They aren't.

TTRPGs are dominated by D&D, which happens to be a specific subset of fantasy.

Most TTRPGs, and games, are therefore either D&D, a clone or other version of D&D, a game that emulates D&D's tropes, a game that subverts D&D's tropes, or a game that otherwise "improves upon" D&D with other mechanics.

If you throw in the "D&D, but Lovecraftian horror"* there isn't a lot of space left in the TTRPG field for ... everything else.

Scifi, then, is almost everything else. From Scifi (but really fantasy) like Star Wars, to SciFi (space opera, so kinda fantasy), to SciFi (hard SciFi), to SciFi (post-apocalypse), to SciFi (utopian exploration and/or space battles, like Star Trek), and so on.

*Given the provenance of Lovecraftian horror in early D&D, including but not limited to the early presence of Lovecraft in Deities and Demigods, the OD&D/Dragon connection, and X2 ... this isn't exactly a stretch.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Science fiction is too broad of a category, it needs to be curated as to what type of adventure or scenario. There are 8 new posts in the sfrpg group today, and most of those are ads from publishers; big sale at dtrpg. Anders Blixt is working on a new game: Expert Outreach, with others such as Clarence Redd of m-space fame, the Swedes seem to be really tearing it up game-wise lately.

Science fiction is too broad of a category, it needs to be curated as to what type of adventure or scenario. There are 8 new posts in the sfrpg group today, and most of those are ads from publishers; big sale at dtrpg. Anders Blixt is working on a new game: Expert Outreach, with others such as Clarence Redd of m-space fame, the Swedes seem to be really tearing it up game-wise lately.
Where can I find this SFRPG group?

Note that they are largely mysteries - PCs are hired to look into X, find out the truth, and deal with it.
I especially like the one that is a spoof of Prometheus and other "Alien"-type stories. The troubleshooters investigate an expedition that failed to maintain quarantine and got itself horribly infected...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I especially like the one that is a spoof of Prometheus and other "Alien"-type stories. The troubleshooters investigate an expedition that failed to maintain quarantine and got itself horribly infected...

That was the last one published one my group did. With some alternations, it led them to the BBEG of the campaign....

Remove ads