Why are sci-fi scenarios so thin on the ground?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You're right.

I usually go with a decaying society (Fading Suns) or a 'cheap tech to the frontier' (Firefly) campaign because it lets me control that sort of thing.
Frontier settings work well for that. Just because XYZ technologies exist, it doesn’t mean they’re available on a colony on the edge of the spiral arm. And even if they do, they might be limited access, etc. because running & maintaining them is difficult and expensive.

Other limitations could be scarcity of materials or access. If XYZ tech requires exotic fuels; recharging takes a lot of time; if replacement parts are only available in the major systems, so restocking is a painfully slow process; if use is rationed so that EVERYONE who needs it can get one use out of it...the list goes on.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Human nature is a funny thing. In a society where computers and internet access are as prevalent as they are in some Sci Fi, an easy answer to security is to go old school, typewriters and paper documents. Or the Sci Fi equivalent. Managing what can be accomplished by computer is one of the things I find most challenging about running Sci Fi. Cyberpunk games have struggled with this since their inception, and we're at a point currently where I think even modern games have some issues.

I'm definitely on board with the decaying society or frontier approach here. Both have some nice built in management tools.

I don't think it's about the special effects. It's more about the audience.

I think there are number of factors in play, that I could probably write about for several pages, but I think what it comes down to is that it's much harder to write an SF RPG that is obviously exciting, and sustains excitement, especially it's not Science Fantasy, and somewhat harder to run such RPGs, than it is fantasy RPGs. Rules-light ones are particularly hard to do well, and in a way that actually feels like SF, but equally going crunch-heavy can make them extremely tiresome for the DM. I think you can use fiction-lead stuff like PtbA-type systems to bridge the gap, but it's an issue.

So I think is about the audience to some degree - but not in that they don't want to run or play SF RPGs, but rather that it's often quite hard to find an SF RPG that actually seems fun for a given group, and isn't a crushing burden on the DM.

I mean, speaking personally, I'd much rather run an SF RPG than a fantasy one. I naturally think of SF scenarios and events more easily than fantasy ones, but finding an SF RPG that actually does what I want, is about what I want, and so on? Oooof. I haven't found it yet. I had some hope when one of the Dungeon World guys (I think) started working on a conversion of Dungeon World to Mass Effect, but he never released it (or even a prototype, AFAIK, though he said he got pretty far), and other attempts have just not "got it".

Of course another issue one can run into with SF is that a lot of DMs aren't actually that hot on science, and thus the less fantasy and more science-oriented an RPG is, setting-wise, the more likely you run into an issue where the DM screws up some physical law that the players are aware of, and it's problematic just DM-fiat physical laws in a way that it's not in a wild and wooly fantasy world.

On top of all this, there's the issue that, even if you manage to make a good SF RPG that manages to balance a lot of this (I would argue CP2020 did a good job), the fact is, time will pass, and suddenly your futuristic setting will be looking a lot less futuristic, and your totally zeitgeist-y art-style, societal concepts, and so on may seem really old-fashioned. It's not just cyberpunk where this has happened. Traveller felt like a blast from the past in like, 1990, let alone 2020, in terms of the space-future it envisioned (space aristocrats and so on). Plus you're kind of competing against a lot of strong brands from film/TV, especially in space-SF. You essentially have to convince people they should play your setting instead of Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, and so on. That's kind of tough. With fantasy there's much less of this - particularly because few TV/movie/book settings actually seem that appealing to play in.

I'm definitely on board with the decaying society or frontier approach here. Both have some nice built in management tools.

These are practical solutions, but they narrow the scope of an RPG, and they often push it outside of what players and DMs are actually interested in. There are countless "decaying society"-type SF RPGs, even Traveller kind of is one (and arguably Star Wars), and Fading Suns is the clearest example, but they tend to come with a lot of baggage (often fantasy elements) and don't really seem like SF a lot of the time, because they tend to focus on different ideas to most SF, and not be optimistic.

Frontier SF is strangely somewhat rarely touched in RPGs. I mean, obviously it could be problematic, because there's the temptation to go for ghastly "cowboys and indians" scenarios (however well-meaning and noble-savage-involving), but it does seem like you could do more with that at least. The only obvious example I can think of, though, is Heavy Gear, but that is focused on very different elements (and indeed the frontier scenario is more about setting up a confrontation with the colonial power than anything else). I do feel like we could use some more frontier/exploration-type SF that doesn't try and do huge twists and actually crafts an interesting world (and like, is not any more science-fantasy than, say, Mass Effect, which is quite a lot of leeway but still routinely exceeded).

I do think depressing-as-hell setting are a bit of a problem with SF, too - you want hopeful, or least where positive things could happen, but without necessarily going into Star Trek Federation territory, and without glossing over the problems inherent to certain approaches.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, while I love space opera and star-spanning “empires” etc., I also like the smaller-scope stuff. I’d love to see a setting based on Ben Bova’s Grand Tour stories or the like, dealing with man’s early exploration of the solar system.

Or like Kristine Kathryn Rusch’s Retrieval Artist novels, in which Earth is dealing with having recently joined several alien species on the galactic stage...but not equals. We’re more like puppies, still breaking the rules & getting in trouble for it. Think the series as a down & dirty extrapolation/expansion of the ST:tNG episode, “Justice”:

Ace

Adventurer
You're right.

I usually go with a decaying society (Fading Suns) or a 'cheap tech to the frontier' (Firefly) campaign because it lets me control that sort of thing.

The other alternative is what GURPS calls the "Safe Tech" where regulation and social abhorrence of certain technologies keep them from general use.

Keep in mind too we are a few decades out from where real world tech makes conventional adventures quite difficult. Smart cameras, bionometric and gait analytics with predictive tracking could make it impossible for average citizens to have any privacy in any but the poorest areas. Its the same reason that the Coen Brothers usually set movies before smart phones or often even cell phones. Plots stop working

Heck as the recent move to work at home and delivery has seen, a future with very little public anything with media being VR and most stuff delivered by Space Amazon and paid via social credit.

A single whodunit or the like uld be fun in such a setting but you can't capaign there except on the fringes. And remember this is 20xx tech not 2300 tech. Its near future not far future,

Throw in the absolute mischief FTL travel causes in games withe world building and making adventures and it will strongly deter most people.

Now its not a new SF problem mind you as Traveller had an adventure set in an arcology where all citizens were tracked by implanted chips but its incumbent that any SF GM take this tech into account and either ban it or tightly control it for the good of the game.

This is why I generally go with Firefly/Cowboy Bebop/Aliens Zerust-Near Tech SF although I could be persuaded to play or run Star Trek or Fading Suns with the right group since it had safe tech/command and control and decay elements respectively

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I remember an interview with a Hollywood script writer who had stopped taking jobs for murder mysteries & horror plots set in modern times, largely because the ubiquity of cell phones made so many plotlines unrealistic.

The first time I saw that in evidence on screen was in Jeepers Creepers (2001). At one point, Darry’s cell phone has a low battery and he wasn’t charging it in the car. I don’t know how universal it is, but everyone in my family plugs theirs in right after buckling up. Sometimes before. And my more frequent non-family passengers do likewise when I’m driving.*

Given the ubiquity of smartphones, I’m personally surprised we haven’t seen a setting in which everyone wears smart glasses. Committing a murder in that setting would essentially require some kind of jamming or camouflaging broadcast over a certain radius.

* Yes, I have cables in my car for current Apple and Android devices, as well as older Apple devices.

Ace

Adventurer
I remember an interview with a Hollywood script writer who had stopped taking jobs for murder mysteries & horror plots set in modern times, largely because the ubiquity of cell phones made so many plotlines unrealistic.

The first time I saw that in evidence on screen was in Jeepers Creepers (2001). At one point, Darry’s cell phone has a low battery and he wasn’t charging it in the car. I don’t know how universal it is, but everyone in my family plugs theirs in right after buckling up. Sometimes before. And my more frequent non-family passengers do likewise when I’m driving.*

SNIP MEDIA

Given the ubiquity of smartphones, I’m personally surprised we haven’t seen a setting in which everyone wears smart glasses. Committing a murder in that setting would essentially require some kind of jamming or camouflaging broadcast over a certain radius.

* Yes, I have cables in my car for current Apple and Android devices, as well as older Apple devices.

It was more common in the recent past to forget to charge device. Like you I am an inveterate charger or top-up guy when I go out but many people are not and that was even more common to mess up with 2001's much lower battery capacity and less familiarity with cell phones.

Google Glass was the 1st iteration of smart glasses and its not a surprise its adherents were called Glass Holes. People like at least the illusion of privacy.

Its also very dangerous politically as it would end up a surveillance and control mechanism beyond even the Chinese Social Credit system. This makes for a poor setting and while ubiquitous surveillance was the backdrop of Minority Report it was a once off. Not good even for punks against the man.

The same should be applied to any kind of implanted tech or mass scale drugging ala Equilibrium . Ubiquitous surveillance and correction implants are fully plausible and not a new idea, Star Trek approached this way back in 1968 in For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.

In order to have a adventure you need to be able either to be free of or work around the edges and some kinds of tech make this impossible. If you want harder SF adventure you need to basically remove them from the setting.

In truth removing smart phones and the Internet and similar ultra fast communications has merit as well , Traveller basically doesn't have these in older editions but this may cause rebellion among younge players

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Google Glass was the 1st iteration of smart glasses and its not a surprise its adherents were called Glass Holes. People like at least the illusion of privacy.
True.

OTOH, I hate smartphones for many reasons. But I’m currently on my 4th one because I need one to do what I do.

I suspect that, with time, smart glasses will be similarly ubiquitous because the pace of living will have accelerated to the point that they’re not an affectation or luxury, but necessity.

I mean, look at how quickly smart watches are saturating the market.

Its also very dangerous politically as it would end up a surveillance and control mechanism beyond even the Chinese Social Credit system. This makes for a poor setting and while ubiquitous surveillance was the backdrop of Minority Report it was a once off. Not good even for punks against the man.

How many people with smartphones know how to turn off the various ways they track your location? Hell- how many people know smartphones ping towers, giving away your position at a given time to anyone with access to the data? How many people use their phones to record stuff they see on a daily basis?

Most people have no idea as to how much surveillance by private parties they’re subject to on a daily basis. And that’s not a trend that will reverse. How common are (functional) security cameras where you live?

Ditto public surveillance by things like traffic cams.

In order to have a adventure you need to be able either to be free of or work around the edges and some kinds of tech make this impossible. If you want harder SF adventure you need to basically remove them from the setting.

In truth removing smart phones and the Internet and similar ultra fast communications has merit as well , Traveller basically doesn't have these in older editions but this may cause rebellion among younge players
Spoofing, disguises, jamming all could play a role. I was just yesterday looking at a guy modeling a latex (?) mask with a 5 O’clock shadow. It wouldn’t fool someone looking at them for more than seconds- you can see the eyeholes- but it might fool cameras.

Ace

Adventurer
All
True.

OTOH, I hate smartphones for many reasons. But I’m currently on my 4th one because I need one to do what I do.

I suspect that, with time, smart glasses will be similarly ubiquitous because the pace of living will have accelerated to the point that they’re not an affectation or luxury, but necessity.

I mean, look at how quickly smart watches are saturating the market.

How many people with smartphones know how to turn off the various ways they track your location? Hell- how many people know smartphones ping towers, giving away your position at a given time to anyone with access to the data? How many people use their phones to record stuff they see on a daily basis?

Most people have no idea as to how much surveillance by private parties they’re subject to on a daily basis. And that’s not a trend that will reverse. How common are (functional) security cameras where you live?

Ditto public surveillance by things like traffic cams.

Spoofing, disguises, jamming all could play a role. I was just yesterday looking at a guy modeling a latex (?) mask with a 5 O’clock shadow. It wouldn’t fool someone looking at them for more than seconds- you can see the eyeholes- but it might fool cameras.

All great points but as GM or a writer I don't want to play techno roshambo with my setting and as such I prefer to do with less tech even though its a bit dissonant with SF

Now most crime is very basic and very personal and drug related, its not adventurer lifestyle stuff although thanks to police procedurals , many people know about tracking and anyone savvy would know how to shut things off of possible.

This may not apply in 2100 where cameras may be mandatory implants ala Black Mirror or worse. Again this is a bit at odds with the science aspect of SF but for an enjoyable experience tech needs to fit the needs of the game or story rather than the other way around.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just leaving this here...

Sci-Fi Cops: “We got the warrants. Now to view the crime in progress from everyone’s feed, and we’ll have our guy!”

Video feed:

Sci-Fi Cops: “DAMMIT!!!”

Last edited:

Remove ads