• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why award XP for showing up on time?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
The Shaman said:
Let me make sure that I understand what you're saying: you were consistently rude to the other gamers by making them wait around for you or forcing the GM to work you in after you finally grace them with your presence, then you get annoyed when the other characters outlevel you by taking advantage of the bonus the GM offers for showing up on time?
Bah, it was 20 or 30 minutes, and it wasn't every week. Most of the time I'd show up early and we wouldn't actually start until 7 pm anyways.

The DM worked at a gaming store that closed at 7 pm. We played at the gaming store after her shift. She'd tell us to show up at 6:30 pm so that we could start promptly at 7. I would show up at 6:30, have my stuff on the table by 6:40 at the latest and wait for her to finish up closing the store for 20 minutes. I also had to pick up another one of the people coming to the game and grab food on the way there, without leaving especially early, the time to do that could vary from week to week.

I'm the only one who actually SHOWED up every week. We were friends and we could cut each other a little slack in start times. Although, since I'm late to everything I do no matter what it is, people are used to it by now.

The Shaman

First Post
If your late arrival meant that game-play didn't start on time, that necessary prep wasn't completed or was passed off to someone elese due to your tardiness, then it's rude.
Majoru Oakheart said:
Although, since I'm late to everything I do no matter what it is, people are used to it by now.
Your friends are very tolerant - I've known a few people like that over the years, and after awhile I stop inviting them to stuff. If someone chooses to be consistently late as a lifestyle choice, that's fine, but I don't have to accept it (and I don't).

JamesDJarvis

First Post
Bonus xp for players who help the game run smoothly is a fine and dandy idea as long as it isn't overdone. 10% or less then other xp wouldn't hurt.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
The Shaman said:
If your late arrival meant that game-play didn't start on time, that necessary prep wasn't completed or was passed off to someone elese due to your tardiness, then it's rude.
People at this point know that no matter what time I leave at, I will be late. I once attempted to leave 2 hours early for something and ended up being 30 minutes late.

I've never really felt it was extremely rude due to the fact that our start times were good at fluctuating. If people show up and we start talking about things, sometimes the game starts an hour late, no big deal.

If 15 minutes of the game are missed because I was hungry, then I say...I don't think the world is coming to an end. I find that worrying about exact times creates more stress and hassle than being flexable.

My game normally starts at 4 or 5 pm despite being scheduled for 3 pm at my house. This is because of people sleeping through their alarms, having to do "important things" like getting their car washed, getting a tattoo, having to mow the lawn, forgetting the game is at the same time every week.

So, if I was that harsh on people for the same thing I do, not only would I be hypocritical, I'd not have a game at all.

ThirdWizard

First Post
The Shaman said:
Donuts? Brownies? :p

Try, "The cap goes on the single-malt five minutes after our scheduled start time." :)

I like gaming with adults. ;)

Not all adults drink. And, not all adults can drink and roll dice. I speak from experience. :uhoh:

edbonny

Explorer
When I DM'd, I would offer people a small XP reward if they got to the game before me.

I also offered bigger XP bonuses to the players for when I was late, usually a set amount for every 10 minutes.

- Ed

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Shaman said:
Donuts? Brownies? :p

Yes, donuts and brownies. My gamer-babe wife is an excellent baker, and her baked goods have far better draw than alcohol to every single gamer I've played with. If you want to have a successful session, you can only consume a modest amount of alcohol. But you can stuff yourself silly on peach cobbler and still play :D

Dangerflirt

First Post
In the last few years, I've been using a "Hero Point" system in addition to XP... while there is no specific rule for people showing up on time... people do have lives outside of D&D from what I hear, I am far more apt to give them a hero point (which is sorta like a RPGA die bump) if they make extrenious effort to get there, or to get there on time.

After all, a game woulnd't be a game, if the players didn't enjoy showing up. I once had a DM beg me to come out to a home game an hour away, then threw all manor of strict rules and irritations at the party. I was like... sorry not having fun... won't be back next week, not worth the travel effort.

I will note, however, if one of several online games (/cough EQ, WoW, SWG) happens to be the reason, they will get punished.... ;)

-Jeremy
Alladan D'Paladin, LG Hero of Keoland

devilbat

First Post
My gamer-babe wife is an excellent baker

Dude, I want to play in your games. Because either your wife is hot and a good baker, or because you have an amazing imagination. Either way, it must be great.

PS. my wife's hot, but I do the cooking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads