• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Why be a 3.5 fighter?

Summer-Knight925

First Post
F.I.G.H.T.E.R.

FORGET
INTELLIGENCE
GREAT
HEALTH
TO
ERASE
RECORDS "of bad guys*

in other words BECAUSE THEY WORK! THEYRE SIMPLE! and because charisma may make girls fall for you, but followers get in the way, the ladies love scars, and who has more scars than the fighter?

well, irrelevancy aside, the fighter is the "Idk what to do" class, i had a character who was straight fighter, all 20 levels
he rocks!!!
all his feats made it so our DM didnt know what to expect...yeah, I just disarmed the balrog, now Im charging the vampire dragon and power attacking under the haste effect given to me by my sword! (only time intelligent items are good)

and as for combat?
a paladin smites
a ranger has his favored enemy and chooses his style
a monk copies manuscripts
a barbarian rages

a fighter? he fights...to the death, the same every round
he doenst just fail after 5 times a day, no, he is the constant, the anchor of his party...without him, whats the party gonna do? talk the demon lord into giving up the soul of the princess? psh!

Dandu

First Post
in other words BECAUSE THEY WORK! THEYRE SIMPLE!
Barbarians are simpler and about as effective. Harder to mess up too; if a barb chooses the wrong feats, he still has his rage. A fighter who chooses the wrong feats is basically a waste of space.

all his feats made it so our DM didnt know what to expect...yeah, I just disarmed the balrog
We have balrogs in DnD?

Something tells me the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien is going to sue... again...

a fighter? he fights...to the death, the same every round
he doenst just fail after 5 times a day, no, he is the constant, the anchor of his party...without him, whats the party gonna do?

Level up faster?

Hey, you asked for it.

Last edited:

Summer-Knight925

First Post
my bad "balor"

my group calls them balrogs since...well look at them...its a balrog

and yeah...they would, but im saying a group without a fighter isnt really gonna go far, thats what Im tryin 2 say

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A well designed class should be able to stand on its own.
That's true, but irrelevant. We're talking about the Fighter.

Fortunately, 3.5e is designed well enough such that even those classes which CANNOT stand on their own have some value.

Cheers, -- N

I would argue the "fighter doing more damage in a fight lasting longer than four rounds" A power attacking, cleaving, very basic simple barbarian will wreck some stuff up. Esp at low and mid lvl.

If you want to play no multiclassing, I highly recommend Pathfinder.

Playing fighters is fun. Sometimes I dont feel like playing a caster. Sometimes it's nice to just smash your enemies with sword instead of bending the laws of space and time.

There are enough feats that if nothing else, you'll be a pretty versatile guy. There is always another feat worth taking somewhere. Being able to bull rush, grapple, trip, disarm, boost your saves. use multiple weapons, fight from close or ranged. Add hp's. The list goes on. It's always nice to have a fighter in the party.

Heck some of the most fun I've had gaming was with a fighter. Sure, you'll never have the Nearly phenomenal semi cosmic power (that screams attack me please) But when someone needs his or her skull caved in with melee weapon. Life is good.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
Fighters are my favs, because you get the most flavor out of them. At least appearance-wise! You can make mêlée or ranged fighter, lightly armored or heavily armored, choose from many different weapons and most importantly any background goes! Any place from the sewers of a big city to the highest mountainpeak can have a champion: The Fighter! And fighters match well with any race too, because at the end of the day every race needs to defend themselves martially.

So for me it's great to think of a story of a character X coming from X with background X with passion for X and you can always be a fighter.

And more importantly you can relaaaax... I really can't emphasize this part enough! Look guys, I do a hard job during the week and in the end of the day I want to relax with a good game. I don't want to worry about spell-selection, spontaneous casting or metamagic or whatnot. I want to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of the DM!

Dandu

First Post
Fighters are my favs, because you get the most flavor out of them. At least appearance-wise! You can make mêlée or ranged fighter, lightly armored or heavily armored, choose from many different weapons and most importantly any background goes! Any place from the sewers of a big city to the highest mountainpeak can have a champion: The Fighter! And fighters match well with any race too, because at the end of the day every race needs to defend themselves martially.
I am confused. Is it not possible for any other class to be as flavorful in the hands of an imaginative player?

pawsplay

Hero
Dandu, I want to tell you a few things which I think you should hear and which I would like other people to observe me telling you. First, you haven't said anything in this thread that made, "My God, why didn't I think of that?" or "My God, I didn't know that!" My opinions remain unchanged, not because I don't respect your opinions, but because I don't share them. Second, asking people to parade out their ideas for you to pick them apart and ask them to "prove" something is not a sophisticated debate. It's called shooting fish in a barrel, fighting the straw man, tilting at windmills, etc. No one is interested in spending three pages explaining minor, well-known ideas, like, "Having lots of feats is useful." Third, I don't even know why I'm supposed to be weeping, but that's probably because you don't understand where I'm coming from well enough to find a jab. Fourth, that's not an invitation.

This thread is about what's good about the 3.5 fighter. In the course of discussing this topic, we may digress occasionally into comparing the fighter to other classes, such as the cleric, and even non-core classes, such as the warblade, but that is not the point of this thread. If that is what you are interesting in, you're in the wrong thread. We may also, necessarily, discuss some of the weaknesses of the fighter. But that, again, is not the focus. I have noticed you have a tendency to shift goalposts frequently, to change the topic, and to resort to "argument-winning" declarations, often accompanied by a link and a laconic quip. That is not helpful. If you can move out of your competitive, tire-deflating, snarky, and unhelpful posture, I am sure you will find that others respond to you in a more positive fashion.

Perhaps, instead of simply posting, "Why?" or "Look here," you could post at least one sentence explaining your thought process, as a guidepost to the rest of us in following your logic. That is a thought I had that may be helpful to you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads