• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why CompoundWord Monsters Don't Bother Me

Another point against the meme that StupidName MultiMonster is a product of having different types of each monster:
This actually relates to my original point: that most 4E monster names do not use the CompoundWord form for their descriptors, and use normal everyday words instead. That's kind of the whole point of the thing.

So alongside you chillborn zombies and skullborn zombies you have grasping zombies, shuffling zombies and zombie soldiers. Where is the IP protection in "zombie soldier"?

Your claim that these names are used for IP protection seems extremely unlikely, given that only 15% of monsters have such names (by my count), and the distribution of said names seems pretty random. Why would they protect some zombies and not others?

In the Monster Manuals, for example, for ice archons we have:

Ice Archon Frostshaper
Ice Archon Rimehammer
Ice Archon Hailscourge

You might think they're trying to IP-protect the ice archon, by giving each of its variants a CompoundWord descriptors.

Then, in the Monster Vault, they just have Ice Archon. If the CW descriptor was being used to protect the Ice Archon IP, why do they now just have an Ice Archon?

Other archons are similar. The more likely explanation to me would be that whoever was in charge of designing the original archons really liked this naming convention, while the designers of other monsters didn't.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This actually relates to my original point: that most 4E monster names do not use the CompoundWord form for their descriptors, and use normal everyday words instead. That's kind of the whole point of the thing.

I don't think anyone has claimed that the CompoundWord convention was in the majority or the norm in any way, just that there are more than enough to be annoying and of a quality to be amusing.

Raven Crowking

First Post

So alongside you chillborn zombies and skullborn zombies you have grasping zombies, shuffling zombies and zombie soldiers.

So, then, you no longer believe that "That's a product of them having different types of each monster, each with its own name"? We make progress!

Where is the IP protection in "zombie soldier"?

Your claim that these names are used for IP protection seems extremely unlikely, given that only 15% of monsters have such names (by my count), and the distribution of said names seems pretty random. Why would they protect some zombies and not others?

You seem to think that every term, or even a vast majority of terms, must be SpecialNames in order to invoke IP Protection. There is simply no reason to believe that to be the case, and a lot of reason to believe the opposite.

You also fail to answer two points above,

(1) You placed arbitrary limits on "how common" they are when you counted.

EDIT: Cool. You answered this while I was posting. Obviously, you decided what you were counting before you started. Equally obviously, that decision was arbitrary and skewed your results.

(2) They don't have to be "more common" to protect IP than they are; they just have to exist in relation to enough common or popular monsters, classes, and setting elements that WotC can control their usage. And they are more than sufficient for that purpose.

We note that you didn't count classes, setting elements, or base monster types when deciding that TransparentGlass ProtectIP names were not common. Let us just say that this skews your results in favour of a conclusion that your posting history makes seem that you have previously held.

As well as the general "You don't always need a SpecialName to IP Protect something; you can also Eladrin your elves, make things like tieflings core, etc. The whole move from OGL to GSL is about IP Protection, so it should come as no suprise that IP Protection is a concern.

You can claim that the OGL to GSL is about "quality control" or whatever else you might think it is about; it is still also about IP Protection. That WotC is concerned about IP Protection re 4e isn't idle speculation. It is as close to a fact as anything we have about WotC's inner workings.

In fact, that these names accidentally provide IP Protection is a truly extraordinary claim, IMHO, requiring more than "They only did it 15% of the time, if you ignore a bunch of other examples!" to back it up.

It is also an insulting claim toward WotC from a certain point of view. IMHO, they came up with lame names, but at least had a reason for so doing. In your point of view, they just came up with lame names.

RC

Raven Crowking

First Post
You might think they're trying to IP-protect the ice archon

Ah, now I see where the disconnect lies.

I am not saying, they are using compound words to IP-Protect the individual monsters.

I am saying that the use of IP-protectable names throughout the system, including the CompoundFun SillyNames and others, is to IP-Protect 4e insofar as it is possible. Specifically, as an estoppal to prevent others from using the OGL to reverse-engineer (pro-clone?) 4e from the OGL.

IOW, WotC has a vested interest in preserving the integrity of the GSL, and changing the naming conventions from 3e to 4e is one way of achieving that.

It boggles the mind that this should be controvertial!

When you stop addressing what I'm saying and start making assumptions based on what you think you know about me, it's time to stop. I'm out, thanks.

Raven Crowking

First Post
When you stop addressing what I'm saying and start making assumptions based on what you think you know about me, it's time to stop. I'm out, thanks.

You mean like "You might think they're trying to IP-protect the ice archon"? Oh, wait, you said that. Or do you mean the observation that you have championed 4e regularly, and that your counting is admittedly not complete, and that there might be a relationship between the two?

:lol:

Whatever, mang!

Good gaming,

RC

Scribble

First Post
Rather than trying to find fault with my analogy and winning Internet Bonus Points for "calling me on it," it might be more constructive to discuss the actual point, assuming you understand it, rather than trying to "win" by discrediting me.

KM-

If you want to continue to ignore my statement that it's the hyperbole and continued defense of such as non hyperbole that causes me to overlook your actual point, then so be it.

You can continue to think you're just misunderstood- and I will continue to think the statement overblown hyperbole, and most likely not take it very seriously.

Either way- for the good of the thread I'm moving on. :)

Continuing the conversation would be like talking to Charles Manson... (because we both speak English you know?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads