• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Did No One Tell me? Ultimate Toolbox!

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I received my copy Saturday, and it exceeds all hype and expectation. It is a staggering resource. We play tonight, and I am certain the book will get heavy use during the game. Thank you for this excellent supplement.

You are very welcome, and from us thanks for the kind words!

-DM Jeff

Grymar

Explorer
How are people using this book? As a game-prep aid or during the gaming sessions? I've used it for both so far, but had greater success using it as a game-prep resource, giving me additional ideas, flavor and subplots to throw in.

I've also tried to use it in game for some survival food finds, but while the results were good, it was a bit distracting to drag it out during the game.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
How are people using this book? As a game-prep aid or during the gaming sessions?

Well, I've heard a lot of responses to this but here's how I use it (yes I use my own books, don't be shocked). :lol:

The encounter designer form on page 357 (and described on the previous page) is straight out of my home campaign tools, and sees action every session.

At one point I knew the party was going to a city called Kaer Maga in the Pathfinder campaign world Golarion. I had plenty of notes to myself on how to present it, but I wanted to be sure I had stuff to keep each player busy as they would no doubt get into their own mischief.

Step 1: Print out an encounter designer page for each player, plus one for the group.
Step 2: Write each player's name at the top of each one, and the group's name on the last one.
Step 3: Go to the city chapter and start fishing.

I try to catch an entry that screams attention from a particular player and start filling in the page based on what comes to mind. I need to know my players and their characters, and just stay alert. I remember one PC who had a soft spot for kids. I found an encounter about kids begging in an alley and just went from there. I used the rest of the book to generate their names, what they were begging for and what they already had on them. When that PC went off to do her own thing, she ran smack into the little hoodlums, and I had all the answers right there.

So, to answer your question :p I use it during pregame prep. Doing the above takes me about 2-3 minutes for each player, but is expanded on heavily during game play. Normally I don't care for pulling books out during a game.

-DM Jeff

Attachments

• ed.jpg
    ed.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 98

fnwc

Explorer
three days without a request for a PDF

that must be a record

:)

Here's another request (any eta?). I'd find it way more handy to have a searchable PDF where I can go to the table immediately on my laptop rather than having to thumb through a book.

Just make sure it includes bookmarks :).

DarkMasterBR

First Post
I would like a PDF too, since I'm from Brazil and this book is seeming to be impossible to get at a reasonable shipping price.

So many campaigns that I feel I'm missing the opportunity to spice up with some random tables!

Metaphorazine

First Post
I too would also dearly like a PDF version. I can get the dead-tree version in Australia, but it's expensive. Plus, I'd only ever be using it during prep when I've got a computer available.

Rolled a quick character with the sample PDF on the webpage, and got someone who is persued due to mistaken identity, seeking to explore new territories and start wars, and has wanderlust. Absolutely great!

jdcash

First Post
Another plea for the PDF

Also, do you think burning gorilla fur smells at all like burning leaves? If so, I think my neighbor is up to something nefarious disguised as yard work.

Remove ads