D&D 5E Why different HD types for classes? (Another HP thread...)

clearstream

(He, Him)
Nope, actually I ride an old V8 Mercedes, which his the most powerful regular car I ever had in my life, and which accelerates pretty hot if I need it. I just do not use it unreasonably anymore e.g. when I slightly break the speed limit I stay in the range where it does only cost a slight amount of money and not my license.
And thus was the legend of @Coroc and his V8 street racer born; in which a handful of d4s caught the underground racing world unprepared.

EDIT with apologies to OP for the derail!

Oofta

Legend
And thus was the legend of @Coroc and his V8 street racer born; in which a handful of d4s caught the underground racing world unprepared.

EDIT with apologies to OP for the derail!

Kind of too bad though that it's a Mercedes instead of an Aston Martin because having a secret compartment that drops caltrops to stop chasing cars is such a James Bond thing to do. Although if it was a 300 SL it would probably be acceptable.

Coroc

Hero
Kind of too bad though that it's a Mercedes instead of an Aston Martin because having a secret compartment that drops caltrops to stop chasing cars is such a James Bond thing to do. Although if it was a 300 SL it would probably be acceptable.
Well it is a CLK430, it looks a bit understatement, it still has a star on the bonnet. People tend to think it is a grandpas car until I show them what its really like.

Looks like this, picture is from the Mercedes archive so that people are simply models for the commercial and in no way related to me.

Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Coup.jpg

Li Shenron

Legend
Why do different classes have different HD types?

Because diversity is a good thing.

The fundamental assumption of a roleplay game is that each player/character has a different role. Diversity is what enables different roles.

While there is no single element of the game that is strictly required to offer diversity (for example D&D got rid of different BAB and ST bonus progressions for different classes and no harm was done to the game), at least there has to be some. So the game would work also if everyone had the same HD or HP.

Remove ads