• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why do 4e doomsday threads get closed so quickly?

Jack99

Adventurer
Lanefan said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgoth
There is also the fact that some 4E 'criticism' threads make pretty bold statements that basically verge on "disinformation".

Consider the following two statements:
1. "I don't believe what WOTC says: I think someday they'll release Edition 4.5."
2. "4.5 is coming and we all know it."

Statement #2 is very unfortunate, especially at this time, because there is still relatively little firm information about 4E and thus rumors can be easily started and perpetuated. And that's bad for everybody.
A thread titled something like "Don't Be a WotC Playtest Guinea Pig" based on statement #2 above just got shut down in the 4e board; the reason given went something like "WotC have said there will be no 4.5". But didn't WotC also repeatedly say there would be no 4e, while trying to justify 3.5?

Not that I care one whit about that particular thread; it wasn't worth reading, but if WotC's 4.5e denial is going to be justification for shutting down more civil and potentially interesting "don't buy 4e, wait for 4.5e" discussions, that - to me - is a concern.

Lanefan

Lanefan

WoTC have never said that there would be no 4th Edition. If you believe people that say that, I have a bridge for sale.

Yes they lied about 4e coming so soon on at least a couple of different occasions, but seriously, what did you expect? Thats how it is with public companies. Sure, they could have worded it better, but then again, not everyone fell for it, so maybe the fault lies elsewhere.

After all, we can hardly blame WoTC for having gullible customers.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let's not sidetrack this thread into that discussion. :)

We want to try to prevent misinformation. That means doing what we can for deliberate attempts to sabotage the signal::noise ratio. If we think that people are posting misinformation just because they have a chip on their shoulders, or specifically to confuse people, we'll close the thread. For instance, there's a difference between someone who asks "What races are in 4e? I want the gnome!" and someone who makes up "Elves and gnomes are definitely out, replaced by half-dragons!" just to start an argument.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Piratecat said:
"Elves and gnomes are definitely out, replaced by half-dragons!"
What?! That's it, D&D is dead to me! :p

I can think of a few periods where things were getting more heated and divisive and the mods had a little less patience. My assumption is that, during "normal" periods, the mods get a few posts reported to them each day. It is simple for them to keep an eye on those few threads, drop warnings and edit individual posts that cross the line.

When things get crazy and they are getting an large increase in the number of reported posts, that becomes more difficult to do. Repsonses are flying so fast, it is hard to keep up. Emotions run high so people are less likely to report posts and instead respond in kind. The result is it becomes more likely they will close a thread than just monitor it closely.

I've enjoyed seeing the boards alive and buzzing as they have been over the past several days. I applaud the admins and mods for keeping things going as smoothly as it has been.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
jokamachi said:
It's happening on the Wizards boards, too, with surprising speed I might add. Why do threads critical of the upcoming 4e get locked down so fast? Can't the boards stand a healthy debate on whether 4e is needed? Or perhaps the moderators are subtly pushing a pro 4e agenda?

Much as the others have said: Switching to 4e means the same for me as everyone else - buying more books. I don't have anything vested in it, and my only agenda around here is keeping the peace. The boards most certainly can stand a healthy debate. Even outright controversy. Unfortunately, that's not how I'd characterize the stuff we have had to close.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
jokamachi said:
I just want to know why the moderators are so fast these days. It's almost as if they have a stake in it or something.

Yes. While at GenCon I bought WotC.

psionotic

No one from WotC ever said there would be no 4e in 2008. Scott Rouse said there wouldn't be any 4e in 2007, that there would be 3.5 products coming out for it throughout the year. He was misquoted somewhere (maybe on message boards by people trying to tar him?) as having said 2008. Perfect example of how misinformation gets rapidly spread around the internet causing chaos, destruction, and hurt feelings. All over something that wasn't even true.

Read to the bottom of this thread for details:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=204662

I feel bad for the guy: This situation has turned him into a whipping boy, and my experience from his posts here show him to have integrity, dedication, and real concern about the player base.

Last edited:

Grog

First Post
psionotic said:
No one from WotC ever said there would be no 4e in 2008. Scott Rouse said there wouldn't be any 4e in 2007, that there would be 3.5 products coming out for it throughout the year. He was misquoted somewhere (maybe on message boards by people trying to tar him?) as having said 2008. Perfect example of how misinformation gets rapidly spread around the internet causing chaos, destruction, and hurt feelings. All over something that wasn't even true.

"A lie can make it halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on."

This is doubly true in the age of the internet, so I'm glad that misinformation threads are shut down quickly here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Hey, folks! Did none of you see Piratecat ask you to not sidetrack this thread into that discussion?

Now, perhaps you see first hand why some things get closed. Because on these topics, some folks find it impossible to listen! There is a time and place for everything, and this is neither.

Next one to bring up Rouse/WotC allegedly lying in this thread gets banned.

Remove ads