• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why do 4e doomsday threads get closed so quickly?

jokamachi

Explorer
It's happening on the Wizards boards, too, with surprising speed I might add. Why do threads critical of the upcoming 4e get locked down so fast? Can't the boards stand a healthy debate on whether 4e is needed? Or perhaps the moderators are subtly pushing a pro 4e agenda?

Let people speak. Don't be so quick to say a thread is going nowhere. It can't go ANYWHERE if you guys cut it off before it has a chance to grow.

Before this thread gets closed as well, I will point out that "healthy debate" is valued and encouraged here.

However, the 4E 'doomsday' threads have (to date) always devolved into irrational flaming, with a large proportion of posts not contributing anything to a discussion, serving only to antagonize other posters.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I've also found that most of the guilty threads often involve the same parties. I have no doubt that threads unflattering to 4e are acceptable and even encouraged by the mods but at the same time I think that things are supposed to be respectful and civil - something that is a rarity with 4e doomsday threads.

jokamachi

Explorer
Keeper of Secrets said:
I've also found that most of the guilty threads often involve the same parties. I have no doubt that threads unflattering to 4e are acceptable and even encouraged by the mods but at the same time I think that things are supposed to be respectful and civil - something that is a rarity with 4e doomsday threads.

So the slightest hint of incivility is jumped on and is used as cover to close a thread? That part I already understand.

I just want to know why the moderators are so fast these days. It's almost as if they have a stake in it or something.

AllisterH

First Post
jokamachi said:
So the slightest hint of incivility is jumped on and is used as cover to close a thread? That part I already understand.

I just want to know why the moderators are so fast these days. It's almost as if they have a stake in it or something.

See, you're kind of implying that there is an ulterior motive.

That said, on WOTC boards, there _IS_ a thread appropriately titled, "The Doomsday Thread".

I think the point for WOTC is that what sense does it make to have 10 threads which basically say the same "The end is nigh!!". Might as well consolidate all the negative threads onto one

psionotic

The threads that are critical of 4e / WotC, etc., that have remained civil and that were clearly created to invigorate discussion instead of mock WotC or those excited about the new game have remained open.

Here are just a few:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=205456
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=204956
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=205133
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=205450

These are all on the first page, I'm sure there are many more threads questioning 4e, its rules, WotC's approach, etc., all still open.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
jokamachi said:

The need for civility has always been a mainstay at ENWorld. That's just the way it is. That's just the way it always has been.

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone respectfully and just being rude (or lazy as the case may be). It is expected that people act in a civil manner. I believe that the overriding philosophy is that ENWorld has a reputation to maintain and beyond that threads that allowed to devolve into name calling is neither productive or informative.

As to why they are so fast to shut them down, well, I have not noticed a quickness to it but if there were it is likely because 4e is probably prone to having emotions fly faster than other threads.

The fact that some people think throwing veiled insults is a way to talk about an edition amazes me. Can't speak for the WotC boards, but the threads that have been closed here all cross a line that doesn't need to be crossed.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
The fact that some people think throwing veiled insults is a way to talk about an edition amazes me. Can't speak for the WotC boards, but the threads that have been closed here all cross a line that doesn't need to be crossed.

Honestly, I am surprised some of the threads last as LONG as they do . . .

jokamachi said:

I would suggest caution at casting dispersions on the motivations of the mods. In my view they have done an admirable job of keeping things here civil, despite the number of "4E sucks and you're stupid for liking it" threads that have popped up.

Remove ads