D&D 5E Why do Armblades need Attunement?

The issue isn't whether it's "thematic," or whatever, it's that you only get a whopping 3 attunement slots and the armblade is garbage as a mechanical option that prevents you from wearing that cloak of protection or wielding a flame tongue greatsword.

Was there any reason why WotC made it were an Attunement slot was required for an arm blade?

The simple answer is that it's because WotC are incredibly inconsistent about what needs Attunement and what doesn't. Someone whimsically decided that armblades required Attunement, likely without even considering the balance issues involved, and just did it.

Attunement is the simplified 5E version of the item slot system. Seems reasonable to me that an item which physically becomes part of you would take up a "slot".

If that was remotely consistent, that'd be reasonable. However it is not. Instead we have a system where some quite powerful items don't requirement Attunement, including ones that cover part of your body or the like, whereas other items do, for no particularly clear reason. Furthermore, the most consistent feature is that very powerful items almost always do require Attunement, which means it is not closely equivalent to the "slot" system, but rather is a sort of power-limiter, preventing you from being simply covered in the best items (instead you're going to have at most three of "the best", though I think a handful of powerful items have slipped through the net on this, just as many weak ones inexplicably require it).

You can only ever have three items attuned to you. And as noted, most more powerful magic items do require Attunement. So requiring an Attunement slot is giving that item a serious "opportunity cost". Armblades, unless enchanted, are not a powerful magic item. It does not make sense for them to require Attunement for the way it's generally used - to limit power.

Part of this is simply that WotC failed to properly define the purpose of Attunement. Instead of saying "Yo DMs this is essentially a metagame measure to prevent PCs from having too many powerful items and limit certain items to certain classes" (which is what it largely appears to be), they couched it in more mystical and vague terms, and thus the usage is inconsistent, because some writers just slap it randomly on items, and others seem to think any item that is "controlled" needs it, and so on.

On top of this, let me say - WotC actually screwed up here. Why? Because:

"Additionally, a creature can’t attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can’t attune to more than one ring of protection at a time."

So, RAW, you can only have one Armblade. Whereas in the lore, we know some Warforged have two Armblades, often identical ones. Now, you could argue that maybe you could Attune two different weapon-type Armblades (i.e. Longsword and Shortsword or whatever), but even that is dubious RAW. I don't for a second believe that they intended to change Warforged lore, or prevent PCs from having say, two identical Armblades. This was just lazy, thoughtless, not-even-understanding-the-rules usage of Attunement.

There's also this vague bit of text:

"Without becoming attuned to an item that requires attunement, a creature gains only its nonmagical benefits, unless its description states otherwise. For example, a magic shield that requires attunement provides the benefits of a normal shield to a creature not attuned to it, but none of its magical properties."

So this begs the question that, given that normal Armblades have no "magical" properties in the conventional sense (I guess the retraction is arguably one but it is arguable, as it's largely mechanical), do they simply function without Attunement?

Now you're splitting hairs. Is "not being on a horse" really a more specific circumstance than "being on a horse"?
It's nothing to do with what is more specific - the Lance is written up as a one handed weapon that requires two hands to wield when unmounted, not a two handed weapon that can be wielded one handed when mounted.

It also makes no mention of horses. A small lancer (it does not have the "heavy" property) could be mounted on a medium party member.

Because what could be cooler than a miniforged duel wielding armblade lances on goliath-back?

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The simple answer is that it's because WotC are incredibly inconsistent about what needs Attunement and what doesn't. Someone whimsically decided that armblades required Attunement, likely without even considering the balance issues involved, and just did it.

So this begs the question that, given that normal Armblades have no "magical" properties in the conventional sense (I guess the retraction is arguably one but it is arguable, as it's largely mechanical), do they simply function without Attunement?

In this particular case (looking at Eberron: Rising from the last War): It looks like the decision was made to require atunement for warforged components. There are 3 listed in the magic item chapter and 2 of the 3 are pretty minor for requiring atunement. The warforged can get a wand sheath (not wand mind you, just a wand sheath) that allows you to house a wand in it. Admittedly it's kind of cool for the warforged to pop a wand out of it's arm and start lighting bolting/fireballing.

So they're being consistent - just a bit lame.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster

I agree with everything you said. As the character progresses in levels and picks up other magic items that would require attunement it seems like an easy fix to have the Armblade lose the attunement property altogether.

I get the funny image of a warforged who unattunes from their Armblade trying to wield it clumsily in battle and it not going as well as expected.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There also seems to be a trend of using attunment to represent things that become a part of you, which I think is silly. (Tangent, I really dislike that prosthetic limb also from Eberron also requires attunement.)
Yeah it really bothers me that my artificer with a mechanical arm use wasting an attunement on flavor.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah it really bothers me that my artificer with a mechanical arm use wasting an attunement on flavor.
The trouble is that Attunement is a rather overloaded mechanic in 5e - it's essentially doing triple duty.
  • Reducing the "Christmas Tree Effect" by limiting how many items a character can be adorned with.
  • Providing a 'cool down' period before being able to make use of an item, so that a single item can't easily be passed around to reap disproportionate benefits.
  • Providing limits to what kind of characters can use a particular item.
All of which are useful things to have in the system, but you don't necessarily want them all inextricably interlinked.

Remove ads