• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do elves trance?

Grayhawk

First Post
Why is it, that 3e elves don't have to sleep?

I quickly checked my 1e and 2e PHB, and I saw no mention of elves even being light sleepers.

Is it to explain their immunity to Sleep magic? (Which doesn't explain why 3e halfelves share that immunity.)

Did Tolkien mention something to this effect?

If it's to describe them as especially light sleepers, why not just let them make Listen checks at no penalty while sleeping?

Is the 'only 4 hour needed' required to make elves balanced against other races? (And do elves really need a 20 hour day, considering their long livespan?)

Remathilis

Legend
The Reverie

Yet another difference between elves and the other humanoids of the worlds they share is that elves do not sleep in the typical sense, though they can enter that state if they desire. Instead, they gain their rest through a process known as the reverie. The reverie is akin to sleep, yet is very much unlike it. When elves enter this state, they vividly relive past memories, those both pleasant and painful. Like the dreaming of humans, elves have no control over which memories rise to the fore when they relinquish their bodies to the reverie. Occasionally, elves do actually dream, but this is not a frequent occurrence and mostly occurs only when they truly sleep.

Elven dreams, when they happen, are sometimes prophetic. Whether these dreams are an indication of some sort of precognitive ability on the part of the elves or granted by their gods is a matter of debate. However, not all elven dreams are prophetic. Indeed, enough of their dreams are like those of humans that they cannot rely on their dreams for guidance. Still, all of their dreams are highly symbolic, providing insight into each individual's character.
In a very real way, the reverie accounts for the elven desire to lead happy, joyous lives. Who would look forward to reliving unpleasant memories every night? Very few, though there are some truly noble elves who take on the pain and suffering of others so that they relive the memories with each reverie instead. These elves have accepted this sacrifice for the good of their people, taking upon themselves the burden that could not (or should not) descend to the lives of other, more innocent elves. They perform the unpleasant task of drawing into themselves the suffering of their people.

When they enter reverie, elves do not usually close their eyes unless there is a bright light present. They relax their bodies entirely, each muscle losing its rigidity, until they are absolutely calm. Their faces relax into a dazed and distant look as if they were seeing another land or another time.
During this time, they are aware of their surroundings, but they cannot act to influence them any more than a human can while asleep. Only by an act of will can an elf tear herself from reverie, and she will be confused for a short time, just as a human would be who has torn himself from sleep.

Although the reverie provides rest, it is primarily an important memory tool that helps the elf maintain a strong sense of identity. Since their lifespans are so great, elves must periodically recall the events in those hundreds of years that were integral to the making of their personality.
The fact that elves go into this reverie, rather than enter actual sleep, could help to explain their natural resistance to sleep spells. Since sleep is, for the most part, alien to their nature, they can ward off its effects easily. But since the reverie is akin to sleep, they suffer no ill effects when they do fall victim to sleep spells and like magicks.

The combination of reverie and manifestation may also account for the elves' near-immunity to charm-related enchantments. The reverie imparts a strong sense of self, giving them a secure identity. They are intimately attuned to their own lives, wants, and needs and are therefore not easily misled about their goals. They allow only themselves to determine their course of action.
Their innate manifestation ability makes them well aware of efforts to influence them through extranatural means. Since they can sway others, they are conscious of attempts to manipulate them and can resist these endeavors with more authority and success than most other races.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc. Complete Book of Elves.

Grayhawk

First Post
Remathilis, I hope you didn't have to type all that up just now! (But if you did, thanks a lot.)

So, the elven trance is presumably based on a flavor text from a 2e book of elves?

Are there any other litterary examples?

How do you all feel about the trance? Does it match your view of elves? Of all elves? Or should it be used to give elves of a particular setting a special flavor?

Mercule

Adventurer
Looking at my "Best of Dragon, Vol 3", I see that Roger Moore wrote an article for Dragon #60 (April 1982) titled, "The Elven Point of View". In it he says:
Dragon said:
One interesting difference between elves and other beings in mental capabilities is also related to their long lives. Elves do not sleep as humans, dwarves, and other races do. During the time an elf is resting, he or she is vividly reliving past memories and experiences. For all intents and purposes, memory is a separate reality, and dreams serve as a reflection upon the world of the past. This is a valuable asset to elves because of the enormous amount of information and life eperiences an elf can accumulate in a few hundred to a thousand years. Elves rarely close their eyes when they "sleep" unless there is a bright light present; thus, some have a "faraway" look in the evenings, and their companions are misled into thinking elves don't sleep or rest at all. While resting in this fashion, an elf is still alert to some extent but not overly so, and may have mild difficulty coming out of the memory-dreaming trance. This explains the elven resistance to sleep spells. Their resistance to charm spells may be due to their strong sense of self-will and individuality.
Cited as a biblography for the article is Master of Middle-Earth, by Paul H. Kocher. So, I'd say there's a good chance that the elven sleep-trance came from Tolkien in some form. Oh, and it's obviously been part of AD&D since 1E, if not before.

What I always found interesting about elves is that they have spirits, not souls. This means they will be reincarnated after their death rather than go on to a permanent afterlife (this is mentioned in the same article). This seems to have been dropped from 3E, but I've made it something of a cornerstone of elven psychology on my world.

Last edited:

Uzumaki

First Post
Tolkien made a tiny remark about elvish sleep patterns in TTT.
... and he [Legolas] could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world.
So that must be where they take it from.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ah yes, Remathilis quotes from what we affectionately refer to as "The Complete Book of Elf Wanking." Look, I don't sleep! Look, I can fire a bow with my toes! Look, I can manifest and look all spoooky, just like Gandalf did!

Great ideas. Worst game balance to date.

drothgery

First Post
"Elf trance" and elves not sleeping are harder to explain than magic, and way too easy to forget about. When I'm the DM, elves sleep like everyone else.

Remove ads